Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed...a message from Umphrey's McGee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...a message from Umphrey's McGee
    Posted: April 03 2009 at 12:06
In the two months since the release of Mantis, we've been overwhelmed with the attention and appreciation from the progressive rock community.  We admire the rich tradition that the community has, and the respect they have for many of the same artists that have had a lasting influence on us as well.  We've been privileged to share the stage with such heroes as Adrian Belew, Mike Keneally and Stanley Jordan in recent years

Our latest album "Mantis" has been touted as our most progressive studio album, and we are very proud of how it turned out.  We were glad to take the time and flesh out our compositional approach on Mantis, and wound up with an album that stretched our songwriting and playing to levels we hadn't been able to produce in the studio before.

While we enjoyed the experience of taking our time in the studio, much of the Umphrey's McGee experience happens on-stage where we live 120+ nights a year.  The challenge of reproducing some of our demanding compositions live while leaving room for both loose and structured improvisation brings out the best in us, and we encourage you to come and experience it with us.

We wanted to let you know that Jake, Kris and Joel have embarked on a new project, OHMphrey (http://myspace.com/ohmphrey), with OHM's Chris Poland and Robertino Pagliari.  This project is rooted in progressive improvisation, and will release an album and support it with a few west coast shows. Furthermore, another improvisational fusion side project of ours, Kick the McGee, is thrilled to be teaming up with Morglbl from France for a show in Chicago @ Martyrs' on 5/20.

As a token of our appreciation, we're offering a free digital sampler of the "proggier" side of Umphrey's McGee to the progressive rock community, though it's really a little bit of everything to help provide context of the grander scheme of who we are as a band.  In this sampler, you'll find a heavy-dose of prog-metal in Wizard Burial Ground, while a slice of the improvisation and instrumental dexterity that UM is well known for resides inside Higgins. An electric re-working of Safety In Numbers' acoustic End of the Road is a band favorite, and to give you a taste of some our our playing with special guests you'll hear Adrian Belew lending his guitar to King Crimson's Red and Mike Keneally stopping by for some extended on-stage antics and guitar pyrotechnics on Ringo.  We’ve also included a bonus video of “Out of Order” from our PBS Soundstage performance.

Umphrey's McGee - Prog Sampler track list
1) Rocker part II (10.28.08)
2) Wizard Burial Ground (12.30.08)
3) Higgins (12.29.07)
4) End of the Road (2.17.08)
5) Search 4 (2.12.08)
6) Red (3.17.07 with Adrian Belew)
7) The Fussy Dutchman (12.30.04)
8) Ringo (2.12.08 with Mike Keneally)

To download, visit: http://tinyurl.com/umsampler (if that link provides you any problem, please click here)
This will deposit the FREE download in your basket from our download site UMLive.net (run by Livedownloads.com).  Registration at UMLive.net is free and required to complete the process. We'll keep this posted for the next 2 weeks, until April 17th, so grab it while it's hot.

To those who've checked out our albums and/or shows, and to those who are helping spread the word (and we encourage you to spread this around), we appreciate your support.  Thanks for your continued interest in Umphrey's McGee, we hope to see you all on the road some time soon!

Edited by McL2016 - April 03 2009 at 14:57
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 12:07
I think I just had an orgasm.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 12:44
I think I *might* get an Orgasm when the album finally becomes available to me (waiting for the vinyl to make it to my local stores).Tongue
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 13:00

Poland and Cinninger in the same band will be guitar heaven. West Coast only????

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
trili View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 13:03
Very good news.
https://oddjohnhawkins.bandcamp.com

McL2016 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 13:07
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Poland and Cinninger in the same band will be guitar heaven. West Coast only????

for now they have just the 3 dates scheduled in May.

history:
OHM opened up for UM for a SoCal gig in late '05 and 3 more on the east coast in May 2006 (which included a sit-in by Rob Pagliari).
they played a gig in Chicago the following week, which featured Jake and Joel, plus Kris taking over on drums for a second set of about 60 minutes of improv. I felt lucky to be there. 
I suppose that was technically the first OHMphrey gig. 
the 2nd, 3rd and 4th are taking place 3 years later.  let's hope it's not too much longer until the 5th. I would be surprised if this outfit didn't play at least a few more gigs before the year is out.

Edited by McL2016 - April 03 2009 at 13:08
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 13:13
I saw Umphrey's a week ago today and it was really phenomenal. I'll definitely see them every time they come back though now. The Pageant was a great venue for them.

Just checked out the OHMphrey site - very nice modern jazz fusion. A more organic version of Ohm:, trippier, smoother.

Edited by Negoba - April 03 2009 at 13:38
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 15:12
Thanks! Downloading right now.
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 15:30
Awesome. Thank you!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 16:18
Mighty kind.  I'll grab it when I get home.  Kind of on a McGee overload.  Picked up Anchor Drops and Safety In Numbers from my local brick and mortar this week.  Still haven't totally absorbed the live DVDs I ordered, but they were verrrry nice.  Keep up the good work guys.  Just discovered your music here in 2009 and I am still blown away.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 23:02
I downloaded the prog stuff and since I had to sign in, I looked at the show I went to....

So I downloaded Shine On and then went looking for other cool covers....ended up with a nice album's worth:

Shine On Crazy Diamond
Time (obvious second choice)
YYZ
Hot For Teacher (intro solo accurate so....)
And Justice for All (surely you're kidding...no)
Song Remains the Same
War Pigs
Fool in the Rain

It's virtually the set list from one of my former bands......wooohoooo.
Doomcifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 10:56
Thanks!!!!  Going to see them on April 7th.  Cant wait.
Greater is the man who conquers himself, than he who conquers a hundred times a hundred on the battlefield.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 12:08

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 12:48
downloading right now. i could always use more live Umphrey's, even though it's from different shows.

great band!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 19:53
YES! Wizard Burial Ground is AWESOME!!!!!

this is a great little prog compilation, showcasing their proggier side. i wouldve included Bridgeless, Much Obliged, Nothing Too Fancy, and Jajunk Pt. I & II as well. Those, plus the ones above, are some of their most progressive songs pre-Mantis. Great selection!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 16:26
anyone going to see them April 10 or 11 at Nokia Theater in NYC?
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 16:32
^I saw them Saturday in Baltimore. They started off with Jajunk and finished off an otherworldly first set with Can't You Hear Me Knocking. The second set featured Divisions, Turn and Run, Cemetary Walk among others. A nice blend of old and new which was nice. Get ready for an amazing show!

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 22:53
ernie banks on pa, now I know I am tripping
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 17:59
3 more days!!! Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
darkshade View Drop Down