Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnthony Phillips and Nursery Cryme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthony Phillips and Nursery Cryme
    Posted: April 05 2009 at 10:45
So there I was,enjoying my recently purchased Genesis Box 70-75,and the last disc I listened to was the one that contains extra tracks.Despite classics such as Twilight Alehouse and more obscure things like the wonderfull BBC Nightride's Pacidy(truly one of the most touching things I ever heard by the band) ,something left me deeply intricated.A series of related pieces named 'Genesis Plays Jackson',apparently made as a soundtrack for a documentary of the painter Michael Jackson in 1969.Thing is,the minute it starts,The Fountain of Salmacis' intro is played by the band,and later on,an almost COMPLETE instumental execution of The Musical BoxShocked.Interesting as it is,I wonder if Anthony Phillps shouldn't be getting some writting credits in Nursery Cryme,since he apparently wrote the best material in the album.And there's also excerpts from The Lamb....
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 11:06
It's possible, but, of course, Nursery Cryme was still about band writing credits (going on my CD reissues here... could be wrong)... composed, arranged and performed by Genesis, so I think that'd be why he didn't get specific writing credits. Knew some stuff from The Lamb was reworkings of earlier material, but it certainly sounds like an interesting box set Thumbs Up

Alas, I'm too poor for box sets Cry
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 13:34
The band were certainly working on many of the tracks that were eventually recorded as Nursery Cryme before Phillips' stage fright got too much for him. Musical Box definitely has piles of Phillips footprints all over it, even though it was Hackett who recorded the final version.

I suspect that when he left, all parties decided that would be that - Genesis because they needed to move on, and Phillips because he felt awful about leaving his schoolfriends in the first place.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 14:35
On Seconds Out though, the song Musical Box is credited to Banks/Rutherford/Hackett/Gabriel/Collins (or some arrangement of those five names), although both Phillips and Barnard contributed to the song as well.  Phillips I believe was one of the primary composers of the music for that one.  Fountain on the other hand, I believe Banks was the primary music composer, although I'm sure Phillips added some touches to that one as well.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 17:47
Originally posted by Gustavo Froes Gustavo Froes wrote:

So there I was,enjoying my recently purchased Genesis Box 70-75,and the last disc I listened to was the one that contains extra tracks.Despite classics such as Twilight Alehouse and more obscure things like the wonderfull BBC Nightride's Pacidy(truly one of the most touching things I ever heard by the band) ,something left me deeply intricated.A series of related pieces named 'Genesis Plays Jackson',apparently made as a soundtrack for a documentary of the painter Michael Jackson in 1969.Thing is,the minute it starts,The Fountain of Salmacis' intro is played by the band,and later on,an almost COMPLETE instumental execution of The Musical BoxShocked.Interesting as it is,I wonder if Anthony Phillps shouldn't be getting some writting credits in Nursery Cryme,since he apparently wrote the best material in the album.And there's also excerpts from The Lamb....

Hi Gustavo: Those recordiings are called "The Jackson Tapes", Genesis recorded with Ant a series of songs for a 30 minute special of a British painter, the special never saw the light and one BBC manager gave the tapes to a kid when cleaning the old stuff.

Ant went to ask for it and he was told it was lost, years later the tapes appeared on E-Bay and Tony (according to Ant, the tapes were bought by Tony, Mike and peter, I believe after  a judicial problem with the person who had them)  bought them in a decent amount of money.

The tracks are: 

1 Provocation   4:10
2 Frustration   3:43
3 Manipulation   3:49
4 Resignation   3:03

Frustration" is an early version of "Anyway" from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, while "Manipulation" features themes heard later in "The Musical Box" from Nursery Cryme and one of them has a demo version of Fountain of Salmacis.

I'm not sure if the late John Mayhew was still in the band, but in that case, maybe should receive some credit also.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply