Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAt what age should you know right from wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 17:10
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by James James wrote:

I am not quite sure about the parents being sent down though... it depends on individual circumstances.  Some children are just b*****ds, however good the parents are.

Yeah, it depends, I guess. If it turns out the kids were raised poorly, then the parents should do time as well as the kids, but not as much. These kids shouldn't smell freedom till they're at least 30 though.

The kids are the ones respondible. The parents should be deprived of their right to continue to raise them if they're proven to be incapable (as they are already proving), but the creatures themselves have to be locked for a good time, maybe for ever. I don't believe a child that is 9 years old and hurts someone with a knife is "innocent". Actually, is the other way around. At that age, children tend to be a little bit annoying but those with good spirit shine through. It used to be just the big dumb stupid bully that punched little kids the reasons for concern... now they're getting knives? Those children are already twisted in their values and taught to do anything they want. The current society that elevates children to a place of absolute untouchability has created this.

They have to be severely evaluated psycologically and then locked away. If necessary, and it will be, until they are too old to cause trouble again.
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 17:18
Well according to Kohlberg, there are a few stages of moral development. Young children can use the judgment of avoiding punishment and gaining reward as the motivation for decisions they make. So in a sense, they understand right and wrong but have a rather rudimentary way of perceiving it. In adolescence, morality shifts to upholding social views and expectations, so right and wrong is seen from a larger sense. It isn't until adulthood where people display signs of post-conventional morality where right and wrong are viewed from ideas such as upholding a social contract or eventually when people have their own universal ethical principles.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 04:29
Heard on the news this morning that the kids who done this, were in social care, so it's fair to assume that they came from the 'sh!t' to start with.

It diesn't excuse what they done, but goes someway to explaining it. They will be harbouring so much hatred for the world, but wont be mature enough to temper that hatred with any sense of reason or responsibility.

That said, they are clearly dangerous, so lock em up!
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 11:34
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Heard on the news this morning that the kids who done this, were in social care, so it's fair to assume that they came from the 'sh!t' to start with.

It diesn't excuse what they done, but goes someway to explaining it. They will be harbouring so much hatred for the world, but wont be mature enough to temper that hatred with any sense of reason or responsibility.

That said, they are clearly dangerous, so lock em up!

I'll try to be polite but I apologise if I fail. It is well known that children who suffered violence from their parents become later violent parents themselves. They know no other way. If there is a chance to cure such children then I strongly support it. I find it very easy to reject such things when having good wealth and health. Some of those kids live in hell and I feel we should want to help them instead of judging them. Just puting those who were caught in prison will not solve the problem.
I'm sure some of them can not be cured and we should defend ourselves from those but whoever can be helped should get the opportunity to life.
omri
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 11:55
You should know right from wrong at least by the time you have the physical capacity to carry out said wrong act.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 12:20

Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

There was this case of two 5-year-olds killing a 3-year-old some 25 (?) years  ago. The kids were sentenced to long-term prison sentences, AFAIK, and I think that was over the top. Five is a bit too early, IMO.In this case, the two were old enough.To prison with them, no ifs, no buts.

I agree, but for how long, do you lock up a ten year old. Five years? Ten? Twenty? Life..?

The UK is notorious for handing out light sentences to very violent ADULT criminals, so kids get handled with 'kid gloves' so to speak. In the early 90's two 11 year olds murdered a two year old who they abducted from a shopping mall in Liverpool. They were out of custody by 17, and were given new identities, homes and jobs.

(slaps forehead) This is just the case I was referring to, only got the details really wrong.

As to the rest of your post, I can have only one bit of advice: pack up and leave.

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 12:35
The NRA would say once they can hold and fire a rifle or gun.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 02:22

There was this case of two 5-year-olds killing a 3-year-old some 25 (?) years  ago. The kids were sentenced to long-term prison sentences, AFAIK, and I think that was over the top. Five is a bit too early, IMO.In this case, the two were old enough.To prison with them, no ifs, no buts.

I agree, but for how long, do you lock up a ten year old. Five years? Ten? Twenty? Life..?

The UK is notorious for handing out light sentences to very violent ADULT criminals, so kids get handled with 'kid gloves' so to speak. In the early 90's two 11 year olds murdered a two year old who they abducted from a shopping mall in Liverpool. They were out of custody by 17, and were given new identities, homes and jobs.
(slaps forehead) This is just the case I was referring to, only got the details really wrong. As to the rest of your post, I can have only one bit of advice: pack up and leave. 

What in my post offended or upset you??
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 02:45
I don't think he was offended, I think the implication of the post is that if you don't like the way things are done in the UK, one should leave...

I'm not sure which is worse...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 03:03
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I don't think he was offended, I think the implication of the post is that if you don't like the way things are done in the UK, one should leave...

This is exactly what I meant. Sorry for being unclear. I was not offended - the "slaps forehead" comment  was
about my getting the details of the Bulger case all wrong in another post here.

Blacksword, most of the threads you start here are about how the UK is getting worse and worse to live in. I suppose things are still not as bad as the media paints them, but I'm just saying it might be a good idea to start looking for another homeland. And you don't really come across as optimistic with regard to your country's future, so...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 03:50

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

This is exactly what I meant. Sorry for being unclear. I was not offended - the "slaps forehead" comment  wasabout my getting the details of the Bulger case all wrong in another post here.Blacksword, most of the threads you start here are about how the UK is getting worse and worse to live in. I suppose things are still not as bad as the media paints them, but I'm just saying it might be a good idea to start looking for another homeland. And you don't really come across as optimistic with regard to your country's future, so...

I'm just observing what appears to be going on around me. That doesn't make me a pessimist. If people seriously want to delude themselves that things are always and only getting better in the UK, that is of course their right. I dont share their view, and thats my right.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 04:05
Ah, alright then.
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 05:42
I would say quite young but it is all down to parents. Though seeing some parents in action and the example they show I feel very very very very very despondent about the future. We seem to have generated a new thick underclass of society who do not take any responsibility for their actions and think that they can get away with everything and anything.

A train journey into town will see people with their feet up on the seat (despite polite notices asking them not to), not taking their litter with them, sometimes smoking, litter and other rubbish on the railway track, bad language, aggressive behaviour - things that should be the responsibility of parents. It doesn't take much and is certainly cost free.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 09:27
Originally posted by limeyrob limeyrob wrote:

I would say quite young but it is all down to parents. Though seeing some parents in action and the example they show I feel very very very very very despondent about the future. We seem to have generated a new thick underclass of society who do not take any responsibility for their actions and think that they can get away with everything and anything.

A train journey into town will see people with their feet up on the seat (despite polite notices asking them not to), not taking their litter with them, sometimes smoking, litter and other rubbish on the railway track, bad language, aggressive behaviour - things that should be the responsibility of parents. It doesn't take much and is certainly cost free.

'Thick underclass' sums it up, Rob.

They are not 'working class' as they appear to have no sense of pride in who they are and their place in society. We have always had our yobs and trouble makers, of course, but there seems to be some kind of social disease that makes 18 year old boys kick a 20 year old woman to death, just because she is a goth. Kick a 47 year old man to death for asking them leave his wifes car alone, and make kids, little boys attack other kids with knives!

Like rats, the teens hunt in packs; spineless worthless cowards on their own, finding strength only in numbers, and when intoxicated. They act, safe in the knowledge that the legal system is barely worth the paper it's written on. They are untouchable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12