Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Johnson Treatment (Maryland, 2 free shows)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Johnson Treatment (Maryland, 2 free shows)
    Posted: April 08 2009 at 05:01
http://www.myspace.com/thejohnsontreatment

Hey guys Tongue  Harry Hood and I have started a small, fun project, a two-man prog jam-band if you will.  We're playing tonight (Wednesday April 8th) at Shamrock Coffee in Bel Air, MD at 7:30 PM, and Thursday at Sean Bolan's Irish Pub (upstairs, 10:30 PM).  Both are open mic nights, so there'll be other performers...  the local scene here isn't that bad!  Our MySpace linked above has tons more information about the band, the entire Retrospective EP (early and recent recordings of varying quality) for free, as well as a clean, minimalist interface (a rarity on MySpace)...not to mention a great photograph of Lyndon B. Johnson.

Since most of the people coming to the shows are obviously local and not on ProgArchives, I'll extend a special treat to the handful of you who happen to be in the area and didn't know about it already Wink

Wednesday night's setlist will be as follows...

Introductory Soundscape
See America Right (Mountain Goats cover)
Porcupine Tree medley:  Sky Moves Sideways > Fadeaway > space-rock improv
Gabriel-style spoken intro > Trashroom
Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty cover) > jazz improv

Short but sweet Wink  Mostly covers this time around, we're recording the show to present as a demo to some of the venues around town.  Thursday's set is entirely unplanned but likely going to be completely different material with a stronger focus on our originals.  We're well-rehearsed, tight, loud, and ready to have some proggy fun.  I'd be most pleased if even one of you Baltimore-area members stopped in. Big smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 07:49
Long time no see, AaronSmile! Unfortunately we won't be able to make it tonight, but next time you play in the Baltimore/DC area, please let us know! We'd really love to meet you both.
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 16:10
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Long time no see, AaronSmile! Unfortunately we won't be able to make it tonight, but next time you play in the Baltimore/DC area, please let us know! We'd really love to meet you both.

Sure thing!  Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 04:02
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Sorry for the brief reply before, we were in a mad rush to get to the venue.  

We currently don't have the funding or the notoriety to play outside of Harford County for a while, but we'll keep you updated on our current show plans as well in advance as we can in case you guys think you can make it to any of them.  

Big smile  We had a hell of a time.  The set was short, sweet, and extraordinary fulfilling, a 1-2-3 punch of a cover of The Mountain Goats' "See America Right", the Johnson Treatment original piece Trashroom featuring a hilariously dark intro in the style of Peter Gabriel by the lovely Robert Johnson, who stretched himself pretty thin doing vocals, playing keys, controlling the drum machine, and playing a bass part as well.  Wink  We finished off with a medley of Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Fadeaway".  There were some minor technical issues throughout (it's the G string, if you're wondering), but it didn't bring us down a bit and I think we delivered a great performance considering it was our first in over a year Embarrassed

If you'd like to hear how we did...  I kind of went all out on presentation, there are three different ways to check it out.  

1) "Single" Edits.  On the MySpace page, I've added "single" edits from the performance to the top of the player, which I've cut straight to the songs themselves with minimal banter and fun between songs, and did some minor audiolevel tweaks for more listener-friendly audio.  "The Sky Moves Sideways" was omitted to present "Fadeaway" more prominently.  

2) Uncut bootleg.  I've uploaded the uncut recording, from microphone on to microphone off, no level tweaks.  The audio quality is surprisingly passable, and there's a lot of fun 'accidental music' and sillyness that was omitted from the single edits.  Also available on the MySpace, under a blog entry.

3)  Videos on YouTube.  Complete videos of the tracks shot by Meg, who ran the event.  Uploaded in high quality, so click the HD button for better picture and sound!  I left the camera's audio in because it has a different ambience that I like.  Video uploaded to MySpace as well.

We're playing Sean Bolan's tonight at 10PM.  We're planning on recording that show as well, and with luck may find someone to tape it.  Big smile

Edited by Man Overboard - April 09 2009 at 04:04
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 07:21
I've been given 'the Johnson treatment' before . . . Confused

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Wink

Seriousely, though . . . I really like the music, man! I'm crazy about 4am! *friend requests on myspace*. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 21:17
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

I've been given 'the Johnson treatment' before . . . Confused

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Wink

Seriousely, though . . . I really like the music, man! I'm crazy about 4am! *friend requests on myspace*. Thumbs Up

Hey, glad you enjoy it!  Have you checked out our other stuff?  We put Wednesday night's live performance up for viewing and listening Big smile

4AM Embarrassed  I've been getting a pretty decent response to that one, it's actually from an older 'solo' release of mine called Soundtrack For A Dream.  You can get your hands on the full record here if you'd like, it's free of course and it's got a lot more in the vein of 4AM as that was the style I was experimenting in at the time (and still occasionally do).
 Post Reply Post Reply