Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Brendan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Future of Rock Music
    Posted: May 17 2010 at 03:00
""Yeah, except for maybe a handful of bands I think modern progressive rock will continue being a somewhat underground genre and probably slide even further below the radar.""

Kinda hope it does actually...
dzx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 18:57
4 music at the moment as ever u have to REALLY search! 
Red Snapper I discovered at Leeds festival lots of years ago

couple of names 4 proggers as I live in France now:)

Ange (obviously)
Goulamas'k (local f em all mayhem) like the specials on speed!
Caravan Palace (beebop modernized)
was that just an Am augmented minor 9th i heard? nice!
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 17:50
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

When Rock and Roll was born, it was a major step *backwards* in terms of the "thinking man's" music.  Indeed - rock music was perceived as a sea-change that lowered the intellectual bar in general.

Good point.

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 17:39
I don't know why we get so 'worked up' about the future of Rock Music.  I used to do it too.  I became so "indoctrinated" in the idea that Rock Music was the "be all and end all" of music!  I almost feel like standing up and singing a chorus of Rainbow's song "Long Live Rock and Roll". 

OK - excuse me for a moment... 

RawksLONG LIVE - ROCK AN ROLL!  Rawks

Wow - that was fun!

But seriously... cool music will continue - whether we call it Rock or not.

Today's ProgRockers actually have more in common with Jazz music fans than we do with the early pioneers of "Rock and Roll".

When Rock and Roll was born, it was a major step *backwards* in terms of the "thinking man's" music.  Indeed - rock music was perceived as a sea-change that lowered the intellectual bar in general.

Sincere jazz enthusiast Marian McPartland once confessed "I was so afraid rock & roll was going to kill jazz that I went into the schools. I couldn't fight rock & roll but I wanted kids to know that there's another music."

Marian is 92 years young btw... This week she is featuring Jazz Fusion pianist HIROMI on her show Piano Jazz.  It will be warm, personal, intelligent... And this *jazz* fan will be sincerely impressed with this FUSION artist. 

Which only reinforces my point that today's ProgRockers have more in common with Jazz music fans than we do with the early pioneers of "Rock and Roll".

Mark Stephens
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 10:52
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

7 Pages of responses. I have looked over a few posts at random to get a flavour, and my take on what has happened in rock music is that most bands/artists dont set out to make music that is either interesting or uninteresting. They aim to make music that is going to grab peoples attention quickly, using tried and tested formulas.

I believe everything that can be done with an electric guitar has now been done. The guitar has been plucked, strummed, picked, played backwards, through every type of effect available. People have played it with their teeth, behind their back, set light to the f***ing things. They've been made to sound like pianos, synths, put through vocoders etc etc etc. There is nothing else a guitarist can do, other than come up with memorable melodies and riffs. This should be enough for your average music lover, but in a prog fans endless quest to discover new ways of doing things, this will never suffice. In this respect the glory days of innovation in rock music are over in my humble opinion.

It doesn't mean that people cant write good songs within establisehd frameworks, but artists who do so in the mainstream are becomg few and far between. Look at the big players of the day; Kings of Leon, Coldplay, The killers, Muse, Radiohead. Not a bad bunch, but lest be brutally honest, there's nothing much really clever going on here; in terms of how they are writing or performing songs. Yes, it's great when Matt Belamy of Muse breaks into Rachmaninov, but it;s only really great because few other modern rock musicians have either the skill or the inclination to do so. There's nothing original or groundbreaking about it. Keith Emerson used to churn out that stuff on a Steinway grand, hanging upside down. It's all relative.

The future of rock? Bland. The future of prog rock? Probably ok, but dont expect too many surprises. They've been and gone.
I agree more or less that nothing really clever is happening in those acts named above, and I fail to hear a prevailing amount of interesting new stuff by anyone.  My standards are to the sky thanks to the masters of the past.  I just want good music, if it can't be new, oh well then, death will bring its sweet release probably long before I could get totally bored by actual greatness in music I've by that point already heard. DeadSmile

I'll contend one thing.  You said everything that can be done with an electric guitar can be done.  This isn't actually true; heck, everything that can be done with even a clarinet hasn't been done.  But that what makes the situation so screwed!!  If what you said was true we could think, well the possibilities ran their course, we had a good run, the end was to be expected.  But instead a sea change took place - that much we know, but what to call it is harder.  The perfection of marketing, the lowering of the intellectual bar in general, the knowledge that a generation already (sort of) tried and failed to make the 'loving' and 'free', the ascendency of this dastardly American way, maybe the drugs ain't what they used to be, these and many other things combined?  I don't want to get anybody started on a high moral horse (least of all Moshkito) but, imo, suffice it to say people learn less and less craft as time goes on, have ever-widening-hence-muddying beds of influence, etc.  Culture has to be zealously defended, but societies that gain a level of comfort quickly find themselves, well, comfortable, mountingly less willing to sacrifice.  If this situation were read about in a history hundreds of years from now, that history would be of a culture in decline.

(Pessemistic much?  I'm going for lunch, somewhere nice.)

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 10:33
well the future of Rock lies in the posibilaty to mix rock  with electronica with the result of creating somthing new the best examples of this is The Prodigy whom I think is one of the most important bands of the 90s and is sadly overlooked as only a rave band with crazy stage present, I say this any drummer newbie can actualy aprove their skills only by playing Prodigy groovs (I have plans to doo that to see what I will gain by that, play from Experience futher trhough Music from Jilted Generation then playing all the beats on Fat of the Land and in a month my druming wil be improved g=
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 08:49
7 Pages of responses. I have looked over a few posts at random to get a flavour, and my take on what has happened in rock music is that most bands/artists dont set out to make music that is either interesting or uninteresting. They aim to make music that is going to grab peoples attention quickly, using tried and tested formulas.

I believe everything that can be done with an electric guitar has now been done. The guitar has been plucked, strummed, picked, played backwards, through every type of effect available. People have played it with their teeth, behind their back, set light to the f***ing things. They've been made to sound like pianos, synths, put through vocoders etc etc etc. There is nothing else a guitarist can do, other than come up with memorable melodies and riffs. This should be enough for your average music lover, but in a prog fans endless quest to discover new ways of doing things, this will never suffice. In this respect the glory days of innovation in rock music are over in my humble opinion.

It doesn't mean that people cant write good songs within establisehd frameworks, but artists who do so in the mainstream are becomg few and far between. Look at the big players of the day; Kings of Leon, Coldplay, The killers, Muse, Radiohead. Not a bad bunch, but lest be brutally honest, there's nothing much really clever going on here; in terms of how they are writing or performing songs. Yes, it's great when Matt Belamy of Muse breaks into Rachmaninov, but it;s only really great because few other modern rock musicians have either the skill or the inclination to do so. There's nothing original or groundbreaking about it. Keith Emerson used to churn out that stuff on a Steinway grand, hanging upside down. It's all relative.

The future of rock? Bland. The future of prog rock? Probably ok, but dont expect too many surprises. They've been and gone.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
el_macleod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 23:50
I think Rock's mostly dying because of the Media perpetuating idiotic notions of what rock is, and it's losing it's roots. Sounds kind of cliche, but when you lose your objective and sound... well. 

Since Genre-Typing is such a subjective stereotype anyway, it's pretty much popular opinion which defines what as what. I think Rock will forever be seen by the generic masses as "That music which is very slightly off mainstream, and has guitars in it". So to them, Rock will never die because there's always some new kid coming out with an Electric guitar playing generic pop music with an overdrive pedal. See: King Of Leon, MCR, etc

Kind of a pity, considering the heyday was in the 60's through 80's, which is when most of it was experimenting and growing. Punk killed it though LOL

... Yes, that was Random.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 14:41
I think there is a lot of interesting rock with large audiences today, even though it's not necessarily experimental or progressive. I have grown out of my "progger" phase, which is great.
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 11:11
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

• The days of truly interesting rock appealing to a large audience are either over or coming to an end.

There is no question that consumption and distribution of music has changed radically over the last few decades.  But the argument that "truly interesting rock" is not mainstream is nothing new.  It was present long before Al Gore helped invent the internet.  ;-)

I was born in 1963 and I can not remember a time when this argument has not existed.  There is always a "cutting edge" group that is more interested in "truly interesting" art.  There is also always a "cutting edge" group that is more interested in what is more "out there"... There is also always another "cutting edge" group that is more interested in what is "new and on the rise"...   There are always different gradations of less devoted music fans... From moderate to casual to somewhat disinterested.

Consider that even when rock and roll was in its infancy, it was more famous and beloved for being energetic or for being fun than for being artistic.  The really famous and mainstream rock music has very rarely been the most interesting rock music.  (One could argue the Beatles as an exception to that rule.)
Rock music really started flexing it's creative muscles in the 1960's - at which time you have already begun tracing the beginning of the end for "mainstream" acceptance of "really interesting" rock music.

This all leads me to ask the question "is this perception really a shift in consumer taste for music - or could it be to some extent a shift in an individuals way of looking at what music is interesting.)

"Large audience" is relative.  Even back in the 70's, the average music listener didn't know who Brian Eno or King Crimson were. 

Were Led Zeppelin, The Eagles and Aerosmith all *that* interesting really?  They all have their good points for sure - but the mainstream 70's guitar based bands were considered not all that interesting by the art rockers of the day.
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 19:38
I agree with the original post that the days of (good) rock music being heard and appreciated by a lot of people are coming to an end. A lot of the stuff I listen to does not get radio airplay. Whereas you used to have Crimson, Yes, Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. in the mainstream; these days bands like Spocks Beard, Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree, Rush are largely ignored by the mainstream.

The good stuff is not in the mainstream any more. It's moved underground.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
rwhite View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 16:14
Just had to respond to the previous statement that R&B has been outselling Rock for the past decade.
It's simply not true. According to the official RIAA figures Rock outsold R&B by more than a 3-to-1 margin in 2008 (the most recently available data) and has actually increased it's share of the music market over the past decade, while R&B's share has only gone up only a little. Interestingly, Rap/HipHop's share of the market has declined over the past decade, while Country's share has increased. Now, the majority of this rock music may be of the variety not particularly cared for by many in this forum such as Indie and Alternative, but the data seems to show that Rock is pretty healthy.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2010 at 06:06
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

The reason why I feel rock is losing its hold over the youth of today is because now, thier whole life and personality is marketed to them. One can only discover new and unusual music on the internet if they have the incentive to do so. These kids don't, they are sheep for the most part.

So true. Most kids just accept whatever the media feeds to them as gospel. Just switch off the TV or radio and discover your own musical taste, don't let the trendy media decide what to listen to, act like, dress in, etc.

Here in New York, as I'm sure elsewhere, there were slick ads and billboards all over the sidewalks leading up to the Grammys, that pageant of anything but music.  The tag line on all these ads was "WE'RE ALL FANS".  Walking by one of these with my wife as our eyes were offended by it, I said allowed, "hardly".  My wife laughed because she was thinking the same thing.

That's the soul crushing sense this INDUSTRY wants to perpetuate: no alternative, and who would want one.  Well we do buddy!

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 23:41

The reason why I feel rock is losing its hold over the youth of today is because now, thier whole life and personality is marketed to them. One can only discover new and unusual music on the internet if they have the incentive to do so. These kids don't, they are sheep for the most part.

So true. Most kids just accept whatever the media feeds to them as gospel. Just switch off the TV or radio and discover your own musical taste, don't let the trendy media decide what to listen to, act like, dress in, etc.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 07:38
I know it may seem strange to say this, in an age of what many see as internet supremacy, but from what I can see is that most young people still seem to have television as thier guiding force regarding trends both in fashion and music. If a new wave of progressive, psychedelic or even traditional hard rock is to take place on a large scale, it must use the medium of television for the 'movement' to become successful. This is primarily because, as I have stated earlier, that in order to discover something different using the internet, one must have some personal incentive to do so. Also, even today there is still a reasonable proportion of people without internet access, be it through financial circumstances or personal choice. The television even has the power to tell our youth what to use thier computer for!, thus myspace, facebook, etc., and what to search, X factor and Big Brother etc. We cannot underestimate the supposed dying power of the TV...remember the words of Roger Waters' Amused To Death album? He's not far off saying that television is the true god of the people, and how right he was...
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 23:02
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

The extreme personalization of music thanks to the Internet may be bad for a mainstream return of interesting music, but allows people like us who listen to fairly underground music like prog these days to access it. I'm listening to Beardfish now, I would never have found them without the Internet.

And the focus of the mainstream can shift, though slowly. There's at least a strain of more interesting/intelligent music at the edge of the mainstream, from Coldplay to more interesting stuff like Radiohead and Muse.

I agree on both points - I had no idea that prog was still being played by anyone, let alone by literally thousands of artists, until I discovered sites like this. As such, my own prog band wouldn't exist...

Radiohead, Coldplay, and Muse did come in on the alternative wave of the 90's, even though the latter two came in just as the internet was almost ubiquitous, but still while file sharing was in its infancy...But, to support your point, the internet could provide a similar homogeneity that cable television has, if a clever and cost-effective way is found to deliver music in a way that people want, and thereby have the ability to create interest in select groups...
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 17:12
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

1. The days of  interesting forms of ANY kind of music appealing to a wide audience are over. Everyone has so many choices, there is no way to corral people who like interesting music into any one thing, it's all very personalized. People are able to be extremely persnickety about every characteristic of the music they listen to.2. Electronic music the most predominant - yes, R&B has been outselling rock for a decade at least, so that is already done...

The extreme personalization of music thanks to the Internet may be bad for a mainstream return of interesting music, but allows people like us who listen to fairly underground music like prog these days to access it. I'm listening to Beardfish now, I would never have found them without the Internet.

And the focus of the mainstream can shift, though slowly. There's at least a strain of more interesting/intelligent music at the edge of the mainstream, from Coldplay to more interesting stuff like Radiohead and Muse.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 15:52
1. The days of  interesting forms of ANY kind of music appealing to a wide audience are over. Everyone has so many choices, there is no way to corral people who like interesting music into any one thing, it's all very personalized. People are able to be extremely persnickety about every characteristic of the music they listen to.

2. Electronic music the most predominant - yes, R&B has been outselling rock for a decade at least, so that is already done...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 15:16
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

And this is very true...I see my peers in highschool all the time.  If a new rap song comes out promoting clothing or a product, they will be sporting it in a matter of days.  Their talk, clothes, money...all of it goes towards things directly media influenced.
It's troubling to hear, but expected I'm afraid.  Gets worse all the time.

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2010 at 13:29

And this is very true...I see my peers in highschool all the time.  If a new rap song comes out promoting clothing or a product, they will be sporting it in a matter of days.  Their talk, clothes, money...all of it goes towards things directly media influenced.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>