Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo Smoking in Bars/Clubs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Do you agree with the ban?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [49.02%]
26 [50.98%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Smoking in Bars/Clubs?
    Posted: April 08 2009 at 14:37

Today,A new law was passed : it is now a criminal offence to light up a ciggarette in a bar or club in Sao Paulo-Brazil.

As an ex smoker I am quite happy about this because I won´t be tempted to smoke.
How do you feel about smoking in bars/clubs?
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 14:41
I like it

Been law in California for years now- and I can't see it any other way. Second hand smoke has proven to be deadly, so it should be that way.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 14:43
A criminal offence means you'll be sent to jail if you smoke? As much as I hate smoking, I think it's a bit excessive - unless it is motivated by safety reasons (clubs being often prone to fires). On the other hand, in Italy smoking has been banned from most public places, including offices and such - though of course there are people who disregard the ban. 
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 14:48
I think it's ridiculous. I would never be a smoker, but there is nothing good out of this, especially for businesses.

If you don't like clubs or bars that feature smoking heavily, then don't go there. It should be up to businesses whether they want to feature non-smoking sections or an entirely non-smoking business.

If enough people REALLY want a non-smoking bar, an entrepreneur or business owner will jump on the opportunity to make money off of it, and thus will voluntarily choose it. No need for the government to elevate this to a criminal offense.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 14:48
What I meant to say is there is a hefty fine if you are caught smoking.
I have stopped for just over 3 months and still feel very tempted to light up when drinking (or being around other smokers)
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 14:50
I favor a smoking ban in restaurants   Not in bars, clubs, and lounges.  That's pushing it too far.

(I've lived both in NC, the tobacco capital of the US and here in FL, that has a ban in place).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 14:57
Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

What I meant to say is there is a hefty fine if you are caught smoking.
I have stopped for just over 3 months and still feel very tempted to light up when drinking (or being around other smokers)

Not to come across as rude or condescending, because I recognize how awful trying to quit smoking really is (my father used to smoke), but I think it's pretty selfish to force businesses to ban all smoking just because you don't want to feel pressured about it or surrounded with it.

When do we let our preferences come in the line with others' same freedoms? What boggles my mind is that people have choices not to be surrounded by it, yet they insist of ripping the freedom of smoking from everywhere except in one's own house/car or ONLY on private property (just you wait though--eventually there will be people pushing for a complete ban of tobacco altogether, mark my words) simply so that they don't have to be around it.

Adults are adults--they can make decisions, and if they choose to smoke or constantly surround themselves with secondhand smoke, they are adult enough to recognize the consequences and have that choice. It's a much different matter to directly harm someone else.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:05
100% no.

It should be the decision of the bar owners. They'll take a hit in customers no matter what way they choose (either smokers leaving or non-smokers leaving), and the burden should be on them to make the decision for the atmosphere of the bar, not the health of hypothetical people.

In all honesty the crimes against free choice committed in the name of health is the unsung disaster, and it speaks volumes of the hypocrisy of Americans who are supposed to stand for freedom of choice, but when it comes down to an act most people dislike, they flake on their flimsy moral background.

Democrats, at least, have the platform of being nannies, so it's not unexpected from them. Yet it's often the prudish, supposedly moral Republican who come out against smoking, and thus just making another notch in the hypocrisy bedpost by abandoning the Randian ideals they like to verbally masturbate over when the political climate suits their devious plans (ie. now).

Full disclosure: I smoke a pipe, hookah, and sometimes self- rolled cigarettes.

An even bigger crime than the bar issue is the recent tax increase on tobacco, which is disgustingly high. And yet, most people don't care that it's the government's sick way of imposing behavior on its people.

It all infuriates me, more as a champion of decency and freedom than an occasional smoker.

Rant over...until someone responds. Evil Smile
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:11
I always thought the options of a non smoking sections and smoking section was prefect that is absolutely no reason why that couldn't work.Bars I used to go to smell absolutely foul of beer farts and urinals.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:14
I was going to rant as well, but Alex and Stoney pretty much said what I was going to say.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:20
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

I always thought the options of a non smoking sections and smoking section was prefect that is absolutely no reason why that couldn't work.Bars I used to go to smell absolutely foul of beer farts and urinals.

the best still have blood stains on the floor as well.... pool tables with customers like the Harley dude who slaps you on the back after a great bank shot saying....'great shot.... I just got out of the pen' (true story.. on a first date hahha)

now those are bars... and really.. just who is going to tell him that you aren't going to smoke.  Surely not the bartender wearing the eye-patch with cigarette dangling from her lips...

Edited by micky - April 08 2009 at 15:21
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:21
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

100% no.

It should be the decision of the bar owners. They'll take a hit in customers no matter what way they choose (either smokers leaving or non-smokers leaving), and the burden should be on them to make the decision for the atmosphere of the bar, not the health of hypothetical people.

In all honesty the crimes against free choice committed in the name of health is the unsung disaster, and it speaks volumes of the hypocrisy of Americans who are supposed to stand for freedom of choice, but when it comes down to an act most people dislike, they flake on their flimsy moral background.

Democrats, at least, have the platform of being nannies, so it's not unexpected from them. Yet it's often the prudish, supposedly moral Republican who come out against smoking, and thus just making another notch in the hypocrisy bedpost by abandoning the Randian ideals they like to verbally masturbate over when the political climate suits their devious plans (ie. now).

Full disclosure: I smoke a pipe, hookah, and sometimes self- rolled cigarettes.

An even bigger crime than the bar issue is the recent tax increase on tobacco, which is disgustingly high. And yet, most people don't care that it's the government's sick way of imposing behavior on its people.

It all infuriates me, more as a champion of decency and freedom than an occasional smoker.

Rant over...until someone responds. Evil Smile

I don't smoke or use drugs and I never plan on smoking or using drugs, but this is very well-said and I'm glad to see another person who agrees with me on this.

Clap
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:25
Has any of you, before launching into a rant against the 'nanny government', thought about the possible connection between the ban on smoking and the danger of fire in those places? In many countries clubs are situated underground, and fires have been known to break out and kill many people. I think that a destructive fire, with loss of lives, would cost a bar or club owner much more than having smoking banned on the premises... But then, what do I know?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:34
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

I think it's ridiculous. I would never be a smoker, but there is nothing good out of this, especially for businesses.

If you don't like clubs or bars that feature smoking heavily, then don't go there. It should be up to businesses whether they want to feature non-smoking sections or an entirely non-smoking business.

If enough people REALLY want a non-smoking bar, an entrepreneur or business owner will jump on the opportunity to make money off of it, and thus will voluntarily choose it. No need for the government to elevate this to a criminal offense.
As spoken by someone under the age of 21 who can't get in to bars (legally) at this point anyways. LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:35
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Has any of you, before launching into a rant against the 'nanny government', thought about the possible connection between the ban on smoking and the danger of fire in those places? In many countries clubs are situated underground, and fires have been known to break out and kill many people. I think that a destructive fire, with loss of lives, would cost a bar or club owner much more than having smoking banned on the premises... But then, what do I know?

More fires are caused by electricity than by smoking. Should we ban that too because it puts people in danger of massive fires?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:36
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

As spoken by someone under the age of 21 who can't get in to bars (legally) at this point anyways. LOL

It has no baring on my beliefs. Wink
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:37

If that were the case, then it seems more reasonable to solve the issue with ordinances and inspections of individual bars, not statewide bans that would effect bars that have no problem.

I also wonder if said fire hazard bars ban flaming shots and whatnot.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:46

Show me a bar or club with nonsmoking, and I'll show you a church.  No offense, but if I want to go see my favorite prog band play live I am going to have to do so by going to a bar or club.  Yeah I may be an idiot for choosing to do so because I am exposing my lungs to secondhand smoke but my ears really want to be exposed to the live music of said prog bands.
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:48

That is the obvious reason for the smoking ban. On one end I think it is necessary for places like TGI Fridays or Ruby Tuesday, but I have to agree that it should rest in the hands of the club owners. Most of them would proablby look at current trends and realize that this may be a more beneficial business decision. Frankly if you want to smoke, just go outside for 10 minutes and come back in- it really isn't that big of a problem. You don't need to like such laws, but they are in place for good reasons. Its not as if a club owner is going to lose business because smoking is prohibited there. I'm all for the idea of no smoking in bars and clubs but feel club owners are the ones who should decide

TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 15:55

No disrespect of course but I'm not entirely sure a smoking ban decreases the chance of a fire in a bar. I admit I have never been in a bar nor do I smoke and cannot attest to this from first-hand experience. I imagine that flaming shots are more responsible for bar fires than someone lighting up. Smokers know how light cigarettes. Unless they are completely trashed, but I believe it's the responsibility of the bartenders to cut off a person before they get to that point. I'd like someone to elaborate on a likely scenario that starts with someone hankering for a cigarette and ends in a bar fire.

To answer the actual question, I agree with Alex and stonebeard.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>