Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles Remasters: Mono or Stereo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: Which mixes do you prefer on the 10 albums mixed in mono AND stereo?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [29.55%]
31 [70.45%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 19:36
Well now that we know the story, I guess most of us will have to settle for stereo.

Mono box set is limited edition.  Stereo box set not limited.  Individual albums all stereo. 
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 07:58

I was listening to the Stereo re-master version of Beatles For Sale a couple of hours ago in a local HMV. They played it over their PA system.

The sound was just incredible and many of us just stopped up and was listening. Most of us with a big grin, myself included. Finally; The Beatles albums has got the justice they deserves. Unfortunate, I do not have the HMV PA system at home. But be kind to yourself and go to a record shop today. Ask them to play a re-master over the PA system. Enjoy ! 

SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 08:05
I listened to the stereo version of A Hard Day's Night and it sounds so much better!

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 08:23
i ordered Hard Days Night, Rubber Soul, Sgt.Pepper, White album and Abbey Road, hope they turn up today Ermm
Prog Archives Tour Van
Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 12:04
I've celebrated the Beatles Day to the fullest: cranking my stereo box-set (bought in my local record shop called Yellow Submarine in Finnish :D) in chronological order and finally becoming familiar with the entire Beatles catalogue. Right now I'm listening to the White Album for the first time ever, believe it or not! It really was worth waiting for this glorious day and hear it in such great sound quality! I was only familiar with a couple of tracks on it and all I can say so far is...What a quirky album, lol. Such a marked difference to what went on before... I'll have lots of fun with it in the future!

This stuff may be forty years old by now but omg, does it stand up even today... It must have been mind blowing to be a contemporary witness to this music way back then.  
I was made to love magic
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 16:25
Yep, the White Album sounds fantastic. Not so sure about Sgt Pepper yet - just seems to be even more bass on it.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 19:53

Y'all are surely whetting my appetite.  Maybe I'll pick up a couple tomorrow.  Probably start with Rubber Soul and Revolver, then work my way backwards and forwards.

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 21:15
Nice review of the box by Klosterman, possibly the funniest and most insightful thing I've read about this release... LOL

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 02:03
The Beatles Remasters

I originally posted this in The Shed 2

Apple goes a bit pear-shaped

'I would go as far as saying that the boffins at Capitol/Abbey Road have missed a trick.They have fallen at the first fence.
There should be a sticker on the albums from Rubber Soul through to and including Revolver saying 'Buyer Beware!'
There is a bit more punch and they are less tinny,but they (the remasterers) have not sorted out the vocal seperation that has blighted the stereo cds since they were issued.

For example; Revolver. 'Eleanor Rigby' Paul McCartney keeps his voice in a jar by the door in the corner of a very large room. The seperation/channeling of McCartney's vocals is so extreme that I checked the input connection on my speakers! Listening to it on head/earphones is useless. In these times where most people listen to music on headphones,you would think that the boffins would have considered this.
A few tracks on Revolver suffer badly from seperation but,suprisingly,most of the tracks had the vocals double tracked left and right and sound fine.

I am still going to buy the first four albums, I bought A Hard Days Night and that sound very good, and I will also buy the albums from Sgt Pepper onwards. The reason for this is that the first four albums were never rebungled for stereo and the last four were recorded when the Fab Four suddenly took an interest in stereo recording.Previously,the band never wanted the albums to be recorded/mastered in stereo.

I have 'Japanese' 'remasters' in mono and stereo of all of the Beatles albums and I must say that on the whole I prefer the mono versions.
They have a warmer,fuller sound. The White album sounds great both in stereo and in mono. The subsequent albums were never recorded in mono.    

Back To Mono '

Edited by Man Erg - September 10 2009 at 02:22

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 02:22
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

The Beatles Remasters

'I would go as far as saying that the boffins at Capitol/Abbey Road have missed a trick.They have fallen at the first fence.
There should be a sticker on the albums from Rubber Soul through to and including Revolver saying 'Buyer Beware!'
There is a bit more punch and they are less tinny,but they (the remasterers) have not sorted out the vocal seperation that has blighted the stereo cds since they were issued.

For example; Revolver. 'Eleanor Rigby' Paul McCartney keeps his voice in a jar by the door in the corner of a very large room. The seperation/channeling of McCartney's vocals is so extreme that I checked the input connection on my speakers! Listening to it on head/earphones is useless. In these times where most people listen to music on headphones,you would think that the boffins would have considered this.
A few tracks on Revolver suffer badly from seperation but,suprisingly,most of the tracks had the vocals double tracked left and right and sound fine.

I am still going to buy the first four albums, I bought A Hard Days Night and that sound very good, and I will also buy the albums from Sgt Pepper onwards. The reason for this is that the first four albums were never rebungled for stereo and the last four were recorded when the Fab Four suddenly took an interest in stereo recording.Previously,the band never wanted the albums to be recorded/mastered in stereo.

I have 'Japanese' 'remasters' in mono and stereo of all of the Beatles albums and I must say that on the whole I prefer the mono versions.
They have a warmer,fuller sound. The White album sounds great both in stereo and in mono. The subsequent albums were never recorded in mono.    

Back To Mono '

I picked up the Mono Box,Abbey Road,White Album,Let it Be and With the Beatles in stereo as well. With the Beatles ( stereo played half in the car on the way back home and it sounded great.John's harmonica on Little child is right up front. The intro to Roll over Beethoven has been separated nice and it was clear as crystal. Help sounded very nice in mono as well. On to Abbey Road now. It is pretty bassy but I have to hear a bit more for commentSmile
Matt

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 02:34
Got the stereo box yesterday and spent most of the night listening to the whole lot, just lying on the couch and having a great time.

There is absolutely nothing negative I can say about this release, I'm in Beatles heaven. It's just as good as I'd hoped and then some, I can honestly get rid of all my old Beatles releses, this is all I'm going to need. The difference between this and the older releases is just incredible, you can hear EVERYTHING!

I've read some negative reviews about these mixes, and I honestly have no idea what these peolpe are talking about, it could not be better!!!!
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 02:40
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Got the stereo box yesterday and spent most of the night listening to the whole lot, just lying on the couch and having a great time.

There is absolutely nothing negative I can say about this release, I'm in Beatles heaven. It's just as good as I'd hoped and then some, I can honestly get rid of all my old Beatles releses, this is all I'm going to need. The difference between this and the older releases is just incredible, you can hear EVERYTHING!

I've read some negative reviews about these mixes, and I honestly have no idea what these peolpe are talking about, it could not be better!!!!

Have you listened to the albums on headphones or transferred the albums to ipod/mp3 and listened to them via earphones yet?

Listen to Rubber Soul and Revolver especially Norwegian Wood,Girl,Eleanor Rigby and Yellow Submarine and then tell me what you think. I'd be interested to know.

Admittedly,The White Album sounds amazing as does A Hard Days Night.The problem that I am having is with Rubber Soul and Revolver and am wondering whether to buy the post mono/pre stereo recorded albums (First four albums (mono only)-Let It Be,Abbey Road (stereo only) ).

Edited by Man Erg - September 10 2009 at 12:50

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 03:39
I should be receiving my Stereo box set in the mail soon. Big smile Can't wait!

Now, I have managed to hear some uploaded songs via youtube that are apparently from these new remasters, and I have enjoyed immensely what I have heard so far. Some of the vocal issues I have had with the previous mixes have been fixed, with double-tracked, left-and-right channel vocals present the majority of the time. However, some songs still feature vocals in only one channel, though the overall mix and master is much crisper, and you can hear a helluva lot more Bass, I noticed right away.

But I'll give a more indepth review once my copies arrive, whenever that is. Either way, it's going to be worth it because the production values and packaging are clearly much better quality from what we've already got. Plus, I haven't but one original Beatles Compact Disc, so this will be my first true CD collection of The Beatle's works. The only way I've had the entire discography before is on Vinyl.
Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 04:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Yep, the White Album sounds fantastic. Not so sure about Sgt Pepper yet - just seems to be even more bass on it.

"Within You Without You" has so much more going on than I'd heard before on the original CD - clearly an improvement! Not to mention "For The Benefit of Mr. Kite", always one of my favs, which sounds properly psychedelic now, with much more distinct vocals to boot.

I listened through all the studio albums bar Yellow Submarine yesterday, in one ten hour stint with a lunch break in the middle. Probably the greatest musical ride I've ever taken... You really get a sense of the incredible evolution of the band in that six and a half year span during which the music was created. 

I truly feel that these remasters are able to bring the musical treasure of the Beatles to the 21st century without abandoning the original spirit of it and that is a great feat. Kudos to EMI and Apple Corps. for salvaging this essential pop catalogue for future generations.    

I was made to love magic
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 05:24
@Man Erg: Transferred them to iPod as mpeg4 and listened to them via earphones. I've finished listening to all of them and my overall impression has not changed, it's absolutely fantastic. 

One example makes it clear how much things have improved: On the first album for instance there are two tracks to which the stereo mixes don't exist (Love Me Do and P.S. I Love YouŽ), so the original mixes in mono have been used. As a contrast, squeezed between the remixed tracks (in their original order), the difference smacks you right between the eyes, it's almost painful.
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 06:31
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

The Beatles Remasters

Apple goes a bit pear-shaped

Back To Mono '

I always thought that Rubber Soul was one of the worst stereo mixes in the set. I agree with what you say about the vocal seperation, it's way too chopped off.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 11:23
^very true, but stereo in 1965 was not what it is today, it was still an experimental novelty, though i used to love playing with the balance control on these recordings..Embarrassed

the remaster engineers have only adjusted the sound of the recordings not tha actual mix, which would be difficult to do with only 2 channels....so no 5.1 surround will be available either Wink

..you could always place the speakers together,  stand back....instant mono!  LOL

Edited by mystic fred - September 10 2009 at 11:25
Prog Archives Tour Van
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 11:31
I heard some limiting was done, which makes me nervous....

I'm hearing that this may be a worthwhile acquisition especially for a Beatles addicted family. My parents still have their original Sergeant Pepper's LP with the cutouts. Everyone in my family has the complete discography on their iPods.

But I'm hearing that the upgrade might be worth it.

Anyone have the monos?
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 11:39
I am definitely interested in acquiring one of the box sets.  The big negative with the mono boxset is that it's about $50 more expensive - and then I still have to get the stereo remasters of Abbey Road and Let It Be.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 11:40
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I heard some limiting was done, which makes me nervous....

I think I read somewhere (please don't quote me Embarrassed), that at least on the mono version, absolutely no limiting was done.  May also be true for the stereo version, but I don't know for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>