Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles Remasters: Mono or Stereo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Which mixes do you prefer on the 10 albums mixed in mono AND stereo?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [29.55%]
31 [70.45%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beatles Remasters: Mono or Stereo
    Posted: March 02 2010 at 02:19
Interesting.....A mono mix of Sgt. Peppers. On "A Day In A Life", Lennon sings "I read the news today....at the start of the song on the left side, then after the build-up, when Lennon repeats " I read the news today" the second time, his voice is on the right side. Somehow, though, I have the feeling that the mono mix will still seperate these two vocal positions.Wink 

assume the power 1586/14.3
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 23:25
^ I really think you'll enjoy it. 

And yes, the first few Capitol mixes/compilations are pretty much hellspawn in mono OR stereo. LOL

Although we do have them to thank for the Magical Mystery Tour LP, which even the band themselves consider part of the 'official' catalogue. By that point the Capitol guys knew to behave themselves, though. Wink

Edited by JLocke - March 01 2010 at 23:27
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 22:54
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

LOL I think you'll be very happy with the purchase. Thumbs Up
Excellent review.  And now that the mono set is again generally available, I need to consider picking it up.  I have mono versions of many of the Capitol releases (abominations in themselves).  I want to hear the British versions, but having bought the stereo set have been holding off. 
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 11:16
Let's give the mono a listen. After all, when we grew up with these guys in the 60's we didn't give a hoot about stereo

assume the power 1586/14.3
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 10:20
LOL I think you'll be very happy with the purchase. Thumbs Up
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 10:17
^ I thank you. I now know how to irresponsibly spend 200 euros when I have them LOL
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 10:15
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

JLocke's review here: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=269037

Probably the best product review I've ever read on PA (where reviews usually focus on the music).

Clap

Wow.  ShockedThank you, man. Embarrassed

Glad you liked it. Big smile I tried to be thorough. 
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 06:35
JLocke's review here: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=269037

Probably the best product review I've ever read on PA (where reviews usually focus on the music).

Clap
Area View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 21:49
Stereo, of course!
"And in the end,
the love you take
is equal to the love you make."
(Paul McCartney - Beatles)

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 23:42

^^that's interesting and then some.

My (stereo) MSFL copy of the White Album is far superior to the new CD version.  Is it just the vinyl (my system is adequate but far from high-end)?  Is it just not possible to get that sound from CD?  Just wonderin'...
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 13:02
i have been doing a few comparison tests with Beatles LP's vs. CD remasters and place the results as ...(stars out of five  only  my humble findings on my own system...)....SO FAR...

Equipment used - Roksan Xerxes turntable with upgraded Rega RB250 / Goldring 1012 GX, Marantz CD-67 Mk II, Cambridge Audio azur 540R amp, Castle Howard S2 speakers.

Sgt. Pepper MONO LP StarStarStar  - full natural sound, wide soundstage for mono, good bass and treble  detail, prefer the stereo version which opens things up though a little too much in places.

Sgt. Pepper STEREO DMM  audiophile  LP StarStarStarStar1/2  excellent soundstage and imaging,  sparkling quality, good bass and stunning treble detail, separation a bit over-exaggerated but deep, spacious "breathey" sound, very natural especially Paul's vocals, very involving performance.

Sgt. Pepper STEREO CD REMASTER StarStarStar1/2  - very "thick" sounding though not muddy, some exaggerated effects such as "billy shears" applause really jumps out at you, good detail though lumpy bass, somewhat harsh overall.

MMT STEREO LP StarStarStar1/2 - ever so slightly harsh though natural and balanced sound, good bass and excellent treble detail.

MMT CD REMASTER StarStar1/2 - rather harsh sounding, slightly gritty, Paul's voice on "Fool on the Hill" has clipping.

Abbey Road STEREO LP StarStarStarStarStar - excellent spacious stable sound and treble detail, solid bass, great imaging and depth.

Abbey Road STEREO CD REMASTER StarStarStarStar1/2 - quite possibly the best CD i have ever heard, slightly "thicker" than the LP but still very stable involving polished sound.

White Album STEREO LP StarStarStarStar - very natural and spacious sound, excellent bass though treble detail a little lacking on some tracks.

White Album STEREO CD REMASTER StarStarStarStar - very good quality for CD, very stable and spacious sound, not too thick, plenty of detail  - as good as the vinyl..?  very little in it, maybe lacking sparkle in places.

AMP SETTINGS - on the vinyl i had to reduce the treble and add a little bass, on the CD had to reduce the bass and add a little treble, the usual adjustments on most recordings.

Edited by mystic fred - October 10 2009 at 03:32
Prog Archives Tour Van
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 23:18
I have heard the White Album

ufff powerful remaster in stereo sounds great to me.

BTW in Helter Skelter did you hear a a sound of a baby toy in 1:32 1:33 and then Paul laugh

amazing

Edited by Alberto Muņoz - October 03 2009 at 23:18

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 20:18
Given that I spent the $ for the stereo box (which no regrets), this may seem to be making lemonade out of lemons, but...

On those crappy stereo mixes, if you have a nice speaker set up (no headphones), and if you position your physical self (ears will follow) either hard right or hard left to the speakers, you'll get a reasonbly decent  listening experience.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 16:23
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I heard some limiting was done, which makes me nervous....

I think I read somewhere (please don't quote me Embarrassed), that at least on the mono version, absolutely no limiting was done.  May also be true for the stereo version, but I don't know for sure.

putting  24bit remasters on 16bit CD's must  involve some limiting

It doesn't.

Well, it doesn't NEED limiting, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they did use some limiting on the stereo releases to created the illusion of 'fullness' to compensate for the lower bit rate.

I could be crazy, though. Who knows.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if limiting was used to make it more palatable to today's audience anyway.
Technically, you wouldn't even have to do any mastering on a release if felt you preferred it that way.
The Iron Maiden album "A Matter of Life and Death" is completely unmastered, just for an example. Not a wise idea to leave it unmastered IMHO, but ah well, not me calling the shots.
The limiting aspect of mastering is quite useful in heavy metal and generally anything with high gain guitars (so even some instances of pop rock).
Contrary to popular belief this isn't done purely so it keeps in with the loudness wars, but because it pushes the mix engineers to get everything done as good as possible since the more limiting you use the harder it is to pull off a great mix.
Limiting (when applied correctly) also hopes reduce harsh transients from overheads and kick drums too, which is important in metal and stuff that is all about super clarity.
Of course in metal generally it isn't the most dynamic kind of music so it's not so much of a bad thing to limit it in the mastering phase pretty hard.
The Beatles on the other hand is probably not something which would be benefit from having the sh*t limited out of it, and even though I haven't heard the remastered I imagine they haven't been smashed.

Does limiting add fullness? I really don't think it does and if it does it's minimal at best.
Getting the fullness is all about getting it from where it really matters, the tracking and mixing phase (production), not mastering (post production).
Occasionally I will have obtained leaked albums and sometimes they are in fact totally unmastered.
I'll end up comparing them to the legit mastered copy later on and what I find is turning the volume up on the unmastered copy to match that of the mastered copy doesn't seem to yield a massive difference. The unmastered copy can still sound pretty punchy if the tracking and mixing phase were done right.
There might be a bit of mastering phase EQ, stereo image widening etc, but otherwise I don't find a great difference between the unmastered and mastered copies as I said.
Matthew T View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:26
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

this is what George Paul and Ringo had to say about mono - stereo..

Great Interview,love the bit as well on who played bass on Golden Slumbers?
Matt

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 11:47
this is what George Paul and Ringo had to say about mono - stereo..

Prog Archives Tour Van
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 19:57
Originally posted by marktheshark marktheshark wrote:

I just listened to Helter Skelter mono and it has some squeekes and bleeps in it plus it doesn't fade-out and then come back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this mix included in the Beatles Rarites LP? Ages sinces I heard that album.
Yes, there's a mono version on Rarities.  I assume it's the same as what's on the new mono disc, which I've not heard and apparently cannot buy. 
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 17:52
I just listened to Helter Skelter mono and it has some squeekes and bleeps in it plus it doesn't fade-out and then come back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this mix included in the Beatles Rarites LP? Ages sinces I heard that album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 17:40
With a mono version of Rubber Soul available now, I would be interested in hearing that since the stereo mix sounds like crap. Also would like to hear the original 1965 stereo mix of it that's supposed to be different from the current mix. Anybody listened to either of them?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 17:22
Well, I'm now listening to the White Album mono which I've never heard, so far not too much noticable differences between the 2 mixes. Don't Pass Me By sounds a bit faster. There's a different coda ending with the fiddle though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>