Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGazpacho as an instant classic?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2009 at 15:00
Originally posted by AlanOB AlanOB wrote:

I honestly think they're one of the bands who will inspire a legion of followers as their sound is unique, a rarity I'm sure you'll agree. As such they deserve the plaudits they are receiving.

Yes, I second those words !
Just cos you feel it, it doesn´t means it´s there....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 21:04
It's now 209th with 51 votes. See, we said it would sort itself out.
What?
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 22:45
And still it's a classic! 9 or 209 it remains the best album of 2009!!!
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 23:25
I've just caught up with this thread.

I'm guilty/responsible for being the first prog reviewer to review GAZPACHO's 'Tick Tock'. I gave it 5 stars.

Can I make a few points about this, please?
• Giving an album 5 stars does not mean I endorse it as one of the ten best prog albums of all time. I was careful in my review to note that it is the very best of its genre, in my opinion. I tried to indicate why I thought this. It's not the strongest 5-star album I've heard - if we had 10 stars it would have received nine.
• The anger and suspicion generated by this thread has come about because people put too much faith in the rating and not enough in the review.
• I am not a GAZPACHO fanboy - I cordially dislike their first three albums. I have not been approached by the band or any of their representatives to write a positive review.
• Because I was aware that such sentiments might arise, I was careful with what I said in the review. I purchased the album from iTunes on the day of its release, and listened to the album about 12 times before posting the review a week later. I've posted many reviews of albums based on fewer listens. I'm an experienced and knowledgeable lover of music and former musician, and feel confident I've assessed the album the way I saw it.
• Those who know my reviewing style know I do give quite a few 5-star reviews.
• All that said, I have ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that many prog listeners will find the album uninspiring, boring and without merit. If you take the time to read the reviews for 'Night', you'll see this trend apparent. Music like this is by no means everyone's cup of tea. It's never going to achieve universal acclaim.
• Finally, surely it's the nature of things for good, newly-released albums to gain an initial very positive ranking? Fans buy the album early, and are inspired to write reviews early. Surely the casual reader ought to factor this in when considering making a purchase?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234