Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGazpacho as an instant classic?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gazpacho as an instant classic?!
    Posted: April 13 2009 at 17:22
I don't quite get the point about this band and their Tick Tock... is something wrong with algorithm on PA?:) How can be their new album in such few days among the twenty best all time prog albums...?

Do you think it deserves such adoration?

I listened to it few times, and disappointed me. Sounds to me like one mid tempo track, full of whimping, that make one fall asleep. X derivation of Marillion (with Hoghart), but flat, without intensity.

Don't count that, but also seeing them live, was also strange experience. Unlike most neo prog band (quite modest and friendly) this band seemed like they percieve themselves as stars, especially singer looked like self-important.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 17:26
that is why ....Sleepy..again for the 1000th time those rankings are useless.... and no. .there is nothing wrong with the algorithm..

this will get you into top 20 of the album list

4.86 | 20 ratings
Essential: a masterpiece of
progressive music

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 17:27
Although they did seem quite cold and detached when I saw them live, I think they played brilliantly and deserve all the praise they can get!
The way a band looks and acts has nothing to do with their music.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 17:38
Originally posted by Tasartir Tasartir wrote:

Although they did seem quite cold and detached when I saw them live, I think they played brilliantly and deserve all the praise they can get!
The way a band looks and acts has nothing to do with their music.

It was only observation. But that is no relevant straightly to the music, to the new album.

I'm wondering what I missed in their music...  because usually top PA albums have the strong impact to me.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 17:44
In which list is it in the top 20? 'cos the All Time list only shows albums with more than 25 ratings.
yeah
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 21:16
Night was better. Jus' sayin'.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 03:25
It'll get pulled down once more people review it, don't worry.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 03:28
when you name yourself after soup, you're asking for trouble

Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 03:40
I reckon that the top 100 is more of a rough guide rather than the best albums ever.  Best to take it with a grain of salt. Can  isn't in the top 100, and I don't think Magma  or Henry Cow are either.  I see top 100 more as albums by the more popular bands or else albums that are good as an introduction and more accessible prog rock rather than a definitive statement of quality.
I  mean my favourite bands are both in and out of the top 100, while my least favourite are both in and out of the top 100.  So I think in the end I think it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - April 14 2009 at 03:52

Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 04:00
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that is why ....Sleepy..again for the 1000th time those rankings are useless.... and no. .there is nothing wrong with the algorithm..

I wouldn't call the rankings "useless" ... it's a brilliant album, and if those rankings get some people to check out that album then I would say: Mission accomplished!Smile
Neil Palfreyman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 05:05
It's a great album from a very impressive band.  I bought all of their albums more or less as soon as I heard them and pre-ordered Tick Tock.

I saw them for the first time at the Islington Academy last Wednesday and thought they were absolutely stunning.  The playing was very tight, emotional and they were clearly enjoying it - can't wait to see them again at Loreley.

For me it's dead cert 5.
Question everything, believe nothing
We talk music, we talk nothing
steve_moss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 09:46
In think it is an album with a lot of depth and emotion. Each song is linked to the rest & they tell an interesting story. The album offers more up after each listen. It is definitely an album that needs to be listened to on headphones to do it justice. Highly recommended.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 10:15
It only has three written reviews (which are weighted more), all of which are 5 stars.  The others are ratings only.

In due time, it will likely fall into the 4.00 range.  If not, then it must be a helluva album.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 10:48
Umphrey's Mantis (a fave of mine) sat at 5.00 for awhile until the buzz about it from the people who really liked the band got people with a wider range of taste to try it out. The rating is starting to auto-correct as it should. Statistics actually do work. It does leave some "undiscovered gems" but there have been efforts to reveal those as well. Gazpacho will certainly end 2009 with more than 50 reviews and I wouldn't be surprised if more than 100.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
demolition man View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 14:03
Superb album, surpassing "Night" and i must say that the band deserve a lot of credit.
Seen them 3 times live now and they are very accomplished musicians.

TealFoxes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 17:52
It's a real shame because that list was not only accurate a couple years ago, but was fantastic for beginners of prog who didn't know exactly where to start. Now it's just unreliable and degrades oh so many albums that should be in the top ten prog albums list instead. 

Tick Tock's not a bad album at all though. Give it a listen, but it's not essential.
Doomcifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 10:14
I find it extremely boring but havent given up yet. 

It's just the initial rush of enthusiasm and will eventually even out as more people review it.
Greater is the man who conquers himself, than he who conquers a hundred times a hundred on the battlefield.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 11:29
hmmm... another 5 star review posted I see on the front page...  thinks I need to check the album out.  Liked the first one I heard  but it really isn't my style so wasn't looking forward or paying much attention to this one.  So much music.. so little time hahha. 

anyhow...  I'll bite.. and see what I am missing...

Edited by micky - April 18 2009 at 11:30
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Gorgo Ourgon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 11:34
I've given the album three listens now & I'm not exactly sure what all of the fuss is about. I agree it's a fair album, but I don't think it's any where near what it's being made out to be.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 11:47
we had a mini discussion in the collab zone about a album I found in the top 50 a couple of weeks ago in a similar vein.  Less than 30 reviews.. but nearly everyone that reviewed it gave it 5 stars.  With everyone and ALL the different tastes in music... that should stand up and say... YO!! check me out f**ka!  Of course when I did.. I found it to be a decent album.. and not anywhere deserving (in my mind) of the top 50.  A closer look showed me that the only people that had reviewed in were of the nationality of the group.. so sometimes it can be a clue that something needs to be heard... and sometimes not.  I saw yesterday that particular album got tweeked out of the top rankings.  It only had 15 or so reviews.   Maybe M@X should place a limit of 50 reviews to make the top 100 while albums sort themselves out.. but then again.. maybe not...  this album is obviously good enough.. and the group obviously well-known enough that those opinions are coming from a wider spectrum.  Time will tell if it will stay on the list... but itsn't the whole purpose of the site to discover...

Edited by micky - April 18 2009 at 11:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>