Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Van der Graaf Generator North America Tour Jun/Jul
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVan der Graaf Generator North America Tour Jun/Jul

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 09:47
What I want to know is what the freak is VDGG doing playing at the Montréal Communist Jazz Festival?? I`m a couple of blocks away in my office. I guess I`ll break down and buy a couple of CHEAPER tickets if there are any left later today. I`m not too excited about this but at  $ 26.50 I guess I`ll bite the bullet. 
Debra59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 10:01
The tix are $30.00 plus fees for the Cleveland show. that is pricey!
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 11:04
To answer an earlier question, VdGG will appear as a trio w/Hammill, Banton, and Evans. No auxiliary players. If you haven't seen the trio live, trust me... you won't be disappointed. Very powerful, chaotic stuff. Hang onto your hats, they rock the roof off.

The price... look at it this way: you'll probably never see VdGG again in the States (before this tour, they only ever did *one* concert and that was in NYC back in 1976). Absolutely worth every penny.
jc
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 10:06
I went to the PdA box office on the weekend and from the look of it this thing might be cancelled. I`ll hold off for a while. Funny, I can`t recall ever personally meeting anyone who has even heard of these guys.
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 15:33
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

To answer an earlier question, VdGG will appear as a trio w/Hammill, Banton, and Evans. No auxiliary players. If you haven't seen the trio live, trust me... you won't be disappointed. Very powerful, chaotic stuff. Hang onto your hats, they rock the roof off.

The price... look at it this way: you'll probably never see VdGG again in the States (before this tour, they only ever did *one* concert and that was in NYC back in 1976). Absolutely worth every penny.

I expect to enjoy the trio, but my only concern is that they might play only new stuff and not any of their classic songs.  I would enjoy the show either way, but id like it a lot more if I got to hear some of my favorites from their classic era.  Do you know that they wont have other players for any songs, or did you just mean that the primary lineup is the trio?
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 16:06
I know for a fact it'll be just the three of them (Banton is amazing; when you see his hands on the keys, feet dancing on the pedals, and hear the insane wall of sound he generates, you'll think you're seeing the most talented organist on the planet). I saw them in '07 in Belgium and Holland (the Paradiso concert soon to be released on DVD).

I also wouldn't worry about them not playing any classics. They play a great selection of old and new. The last four VdGG gigs (from about five months ago) went  like this:

Palace of Arts, Budapest, Hungary on 21st January 2009

Interference Patterns
(In the) Black Room
Lemmings
Lifetime
All that Before
Childlike Faith in Childhood's End
The Sleepwalkers
Over the Hill
Man Erg
(encore) Nutter Alert

Palác Acropolis, Prague, Czech Republic on 22nd January 2009

Interference Patterns
Scorched Earth
Lifetime
All that Before
Meurglys III
La Rossa
Over the Hill
(We Are) Not Here
Man Erg
(encore) Still Life

Colos-Saal, Aschaffenburg, Germany on 23rd January 2009

Interference Patterns
Scorched Earth
Lemmings
Lifetime
All that Before
Meurglys III
La Rossa
Over the Hill
(We Are) Not Here
Man Erg
(encore) Nutter Alert

Teatro Cervantes, Malaga, Spain on 26th January 2009

Interference Patterns
(In the) Black Room
Scorched Earth
Lemmings
Lifetime
All that Before
Meurglys III
Over the Hill
(We Are) Not Here
Man Erg
(encore) La Rossa

Not too bad, eh?!

Jim Christopulos
co-author, "Van der Graaf Generator - The Book"
jc
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2009 at 09:49
Those set lists look awesome!  Thats exactly what I was hoping for in the set list, but I hope those songs will still be as good without jackson
count van der graaf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2009 at 17:08
plus 6/23 in arlington, ma and 7/5 in hamilton, ontario.  canadas a bit far, but im totally going to the arlington show!
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2009 at 22:55
Originally posted by count van der graaf count van der graaf wrote:

plus 6/23 in arlington, ma and 7/5 in hamilton, ontario.  canadas a bit far, but im totally going to the arlington show!

Same here.  There is a chance I'll be in Buffalo on business at the time of the show at the Tralf as well...fingers crossed!
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 20:11
Originally posted by mwood mwood wrote:

Originally posted by count van der graaf count van der graaf wrote:

Same here.  There is a chance I'll be in Buffalo on business at the time of the show at the Tralf as well...fingers crossed!

Well, my trip to Buffalo fell through, but instead I'll be in Chicago for the show at the Abbey Pub.
Excited to be catching two shows on this tour!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 13:30
Anyone going to the NYC show today?

My wife and I will be there.

For those interested, the setlist for the Nearfest show was:
Interference Patterns
Scorched Earth
Lemmings
Lifetime
All That Before
Meurglys III
Sleepwalkers
Over The Hill
Man-Erg

Encore:
Still Life

And someone at Progressive Ears posted pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gotroot801/3642452817/in/set-72157619888217233/

rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 19:00
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Anyone going to the NYC show today?

My wife and I will be there.

For those interested, the setlist for the Nearfest show was:
Interference Patterns
Scorched Earth
Lemmings
Lifetime
All That Before
Meurglys III
Sleepwalkers
Over The Hill
Man-Erg

Encore:
Still Life

And someone at Progressive Ears posted pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gotroot801/3642452817/in/set-72157619888217233/

Thanks for posting!
I'm going to the show in VA on wednesday
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 09:42
NYC setlist:

1. Interference Patterns
2. Scorched Earth (great song, and nice performance, but there were some shaky moments there for me)
3. Every Bloody Emperor (good and solid performance)
4. Lemmings (seems they got into the mood better by now)
5. Lifetime
6. All That Before (Really like this performance, awesome playing, very exciting)
7. Childlike Faith in Childhood's End (great performance)
8. Over the Hill
9. Man-Erg (brilliant performance).

encore:
10. Sleepwalkers
(brilliant performance, and Hammill was not playing during most of it and the walls of sounds from Evans and Banton playing together were exhilarating)

I wish they played Killer and my wife wanted
House With No Door but it was a great show nonetheless (especially considering I hate live shows).

mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 10:17
Thanks for posting the set lists! I'll try to do the same for the Boston performance Tuesday night.
Nice to see that they are mixing it up a bit so far.   Approve

Are they selling anything - maybe PH's latest solo, t-shirts, etc.?
Any sort of meet-n-greet after the NYC show?
How were the Strawbs?

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 06:33
I saw the Nearfest show Friday night.  Personally I'm not much of a VDGG fan.  Basically I can only take so much of Mr. Hammill's voice, but the show was a good performance.  There was clearly some areas they needed more rehearsal on. Hopefully, they'll work those out as they play more shows.

A couple of photos I took:

Edited by threefates - June 23 2009 at 06:33
THIS IS ELP
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 11:11
The VA show was outstanding, both Vdgg and the Strawbs were really great to see and they played with a lot of intensity.  I can't post the setlist because I dont remember and they played two of hammill solo songs which I didn't know.  My favorites were la rossa and man-erg
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 12:26
These guys aren`t selling too many tickets for the Montréal show. The girl said tons left. I`ll wait. 
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 12:47
I had tried to post these setlists before, but it looks like they never showed up:

Arlington, MA 6/23:
Acoustic Strawbs:
Lay Me Down
New World
Oh How She Changed
Midnight Sun
Ghosts
The Hangman and the Papist
Autumn

Van der Graaf Generator:
Interference Patterns
(In the) Black Room
Lemmings
Lifetime
All that Before
Meurglys III
Over the Hill
(We are) Not Here
Man-Erg
Nutter Alert (encore)
Chicago, IL 6/26:
Acoustic Strawbs:
Lay Me Down
New World
Oh How She Changed
The Call to Action
Midnight Sun
Ghosts
The Hangman and the Papist
Autumn

Van der Graaf Generator:
Interference Patterns
Scorched Earth
Lemmings
Lifetime
All that Before
Meurglys III
Over the Hill
(We are) Not Here
Man-Erg
La Rossa (encore)
While the setlists didn't differ that much, I preferred the Chicago show.  The crowd was a little more into it, and the bands seem to appreciate that.  Hearing the additional Strawbs song ("The Call to Action") prompted me to buy "The Broken-Hearted Bride" CD.  Before the last song in Chicago, I had just about given up hearing anything from VdGG's "Still Life" (my personal favorite), so I was very glad to hear "La Rossa" as the encore - great stuff.  With the exception of Dave Lambert of the Strawbs, all of the musicians came out and signed autographs and chatted with fans.

The Strawbs are planning to be back in the states soon with the full band (including Oliver Wakeman and Rob Coombes), according to Dave Cousins. 

Let's hope that this wasn't the (first and) last proper tour of VdGG in the USA.

Ole Troll View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 18:51
Clap
Saw Cleveland 6/25 and Pittsburgh 6/30.  Set lists VERY similar to those posted here previously.  The odd-man-erg-out selection apparently was the Cleveland inclusion of the _Still Life_ classic epic
"Childlike Faith in Childhood's End" which they NAILED to everyone's eardrums (and delight I might add.)

They were tighter in Cleveland (AMAZINGLY so for 60-year-olds.)  It was a grueling travel/long weekend for them and by Pittsburgh, Tuesday 30th, Peter Hammill just looked plain worn out.  His performance suffered a tad but I was still ecstatic with it, and the Steel City crowd was MUCH the more boisterous.  I'd estimate crowds of under 300 both venues, and BOTH were appreciative groups... Clevelanders just pride themselves on remaining laid-back.

"Vital" NOTE TO OUR CANADIEN COUSINS ON THE FENCE ABOUT FORKING OVER THE PRICE::::::::::::

When my wife and I left Rex Theatre Pittsburgh to head to our car, we found ourselves walking along beside another couple who had just had the VdGG experience too.  This is EXACTLY what the guy said:
"I have a couple of Peter Hammill solo albums but I never really heard the group stuff.  Their drummer's incredible!  He's better than Bruford, Palmer or anybody else I know!"

What more do you want?  This is the chance of a North American "Lifetime."  (My wife's favorite by VdGG)
Ole Troll
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2009 at 23:20
Originally posted by Ole Troll Ole Troll wrote:

Clap
Saw Cleveland 6/25 and Pittsburgh 6/30.  Set lists VERY similar to those posted here previously.  The odd-man-erg-out selection apparently was the Cleveland inclusion of the _Still Life_ classic epic
"Childlike Faith in Childhood's End" which they NAILED to everyone's eardrums (and delight I might add.)

They were tighter in Cleveland (AMAZINGLY so for 60-year-olds.)  It was a grueling travel/long weekend for them and by Pittsburgh, Tuesday 30th, Peter Hammill just looked plain worn out.  His performance suffered a tad but I was still ecstatic with it, and the Steel City crowd was MUCH the more boisterous.  I'd estimate crowds of under 300 both venues, and BOTH were appreciative groups... Clevelanders just pride themselves on remaining laid-back.

"Vital" NOTE TO OUR CANADIEN COUSINS ON THE FENCE ABOUT FORKING OVER THE PRICE::::::::::::

When my wife and I left Rex Theatre Pittsburgh to head to our car, we found ourselves walking along beside another couple who had just had the VdGG experience too.  This is EXACTLY what the guy said:
"I have a couple of Peter Hammill solo albums but I never really heard the group stuff.  Their drummer's incredible!  He's better than Bruford, Palmer or anybody else I know!"

What more do you want?  This is the chance of a North American "Lifetime."  (My wife's favorite by VdGG)

Also attended the Pittsburgh show last night.  Went for the Strawbs stayed for the VDGG and was amazed by the entire show.  Despite only having 45 min to work with the Strawbs did not disappoint as every song performed managed to send a satisfying chill down my spine.  Between sets I was able to meet Dave Cousins, thank him for coming to Pittsburgh, and get him to sign my cd insert for From the Witchwood (had I known the venue better I'd have brought my vinyls).  The Rex has a bar area and the boys from the Strawbs were nice enough to socialize there after their set.  The Rex is a great small venue (and I think we all know small venues are better if you care about hearing the music).

Now as fantastic it was for me to hear the Strawbs live I must say: I was utterly blown away by VDGG.  All notes rapidly pounded into place with technical precision to frightening effect.  It amazes me how close the live band sounds to the studio product, especially considering its been over 30 years since their major albums were released.  The three have a great stage dynamic with the thin Hammill's little facial expressions and baggy clothing, Banton's complete instrumental focus, and Evans just being one scary looking dude.  Again, I must say how amazing it is for a band to sound this close live to the studio product and how truely insane this is when you consider how long its been since their major studio albums were released.

Edited by manofmystery - July 01 2009 at 23:23

Time always wins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>