Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKingdom Come

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingdom Come
    Posted: April 22 2009 at 03:36

If Led Zeppelin is in archives why not Kingdom Come? They can be considered as prog related. 

Their Perpetual album sounds like mix of Marillion's Brave and something by Black Sabbath. And this comparsion is almost perfect. The other stuff is definitelly something you can compare to Led Zeppelin including the latest KC release Magnified which is very good.

GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 06:32
Why is in ProgArchives ,Led Zeppelin ?Confused
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 07:30
Originally posted by GentleGiant GentleGiant wrote:

Because for many years certain people insisted that some of their work displays elements of progressive rock. Personally, I'm not familiar enough with their work to really comment (all I really know is the "greatest hits" type stuff, and even then not all that well).

I was always under the impression that "prog related" was a way to deal with those major bands such as LZ, Queen, etc. who displayed occasional proggy tendencies but never really made any out-and-out prog rock albums. I don't think (and this might just be me misunderstanding the situation) that the prog related section was created to provide an exhaustive list of bands who sometimes sound a bit like other bands who sometimes sound a bit like prog.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 07:58
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Because for many years certain people insisted that some of their work displays elements of progressive rock. Personally, I'm not familiar enough with their work to really comment (all I really know is the "greatest hits" type stuff, and even then not all that well).

I was always under the impression that "prog related" was a way to deal with those major bands such as LZ, Queen, etc. who displayed occasional proggy tendencies but never really made any out-and-out prog rock albums. I don't think (and this might just be me misunderstanding the situation) that the prog related section was created to provide an exhaustive list of bands who sometimes sound a bit like other bands who sometimes sound a bit like prog.

ExactlyClap. Nothing against Kingdom Come, but if we start adding clones of Prog-Related bands, we'll really compromise the site's integrity. Led Zeppelin's addition was, in many people's opinion, a bit of a stretch, seen their mainly blues roots (though I agree their output got closer and closer to prog, starting with their legendary IV album). We of the Heavy Prog team are facing the same problem with people suggesting bands clearly inspired by Black Sabbath.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 08:00
I have all of the Kingdom Come releases from the debut up until Too and based on those they are not a prog band, although they are most definitely a Led Zeppelin sound alike band.  My curiosity is piqued in regards to their most recent releases as to the idea of there being some progginess there. 

Led Zeppelin is included on PA as a prog related band, which I believe it is safe to say that in basic terms means that at least some of their music is either inspired by progressive rock or some of their music had influence on progressive rock bands. 

I don't believe that the fact that Kingdom Come were highly influenced by Led Zeppelin would in itself lend them to inclusion here on PA as a prog related act.  However, if as you say their most recent releases are progressive in nature than they certainly should be considered based on those albums..
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 08:01

Because the owner requested their presence. There were also other people who were in favour of their addition.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 08:04

Listen to 2 latest albums. Perpetual and Magnified.

If your opinion on adding clones is right why Angra and some other power metal bands were added? Were they influencial? They are not proggy either.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 08:10
I personally can't comment on Angra, as I am not familiar with them.  In regards to Power metal bands, it is my understanding that certain bands were added at the beginning of PA, back when any member could add any band.  Since that time genre teams have been set up for each genre to monitor which bands get added and which bands do not.  The site's policy is to not delete bands once they have been added and reviews have been done on their albums.  Therefore, there are certain bands that probably should not be on PA, but are on PA because they were "grandfathered" in.  I do not know if Angra is one of these bands or not.  I seem to recall a fairly recent discussion regarding them where their inclusion was defended because although they started out as a power metal band their more recent albums were progressive in nature. 
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 08:31
I can't remember now if Angra was added by member or not. I remember I suggested Voviod and Roger Waters when it wasn't in archives. Angra appeared later so I guess it was added by staff. I have nothing against Angra but I can't really understand the selection. That's why I suggested Kingdom Come cos to me it's more proggy than power metal.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 03:27
I'm famiiar with Kingdom Come's work, but one of LZ's strong points was their diversity, a quality that qualifies their presence here.

Kingdom Come completely misses this point and concentrates mainly on the heavy electric side. This makes them very one-dimensional. So apart from being embarrassingly copy-cat (meaning completely unoriginal), they also lack any diversity, not to mention creativity in the realms of doing anything new or experimental.

How more non-prog can you get?
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 03:48
Kingdom Come in my opinion is much better band than Led Zeppelin. The sound is clearer, musicians better, production is better and quality is better. Led Zeppelin weren't even good enough for the standards of 70's not talking about standards of 80's where there was more virtuosity. That way or the other Kingdom Come qualifies and it's only question of prejudice and conviction that LZ is great because it's a classic. Listen to the music not read about it in stupid magazines like Rolling Stone.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 03:58
Sorry!
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 17:34
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Kingdom Come in my opinion is much better band than Led Zeppelin. The sound is clearer, musicians better, production is better and quality is better. Led Zeppelin weren't even good enough for the standards of 70's not talking about standards of 80's where there was more virtuosity. That way or the other Kingdom Come qualifies and it's only question of prejudice and conviction that LZ is great because it's a classic. Listen to the music not read about it in stupid magazines like Rolling Stone.

That's enough of that.

You might think that Kingdom Come are a great band and better than Led Zeppelin. Good for you. Your thoughts about Led Zeppelin are faintly ridiculous but then again people today tend to believe what they think and blow the facts.

As for Kingdom Come warranting inclusion here at ProgArchives, well, I am here to say no.

Post Reply Post Reply