Topic ClosedThe Aether Tree - Heavy? Prog - from Missouri

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Aether Tree - Heavy? Prog - from Missouri
    Posted: April 25 2009 at 05:33
Hey there guys,

Our progressive rock band has finally made it to the point where we can advertise and share our music with others. We finished recording an album in a professional studio and have had CD's with art, linear notes, etc. made. I am honored to share this with you guys (people who might actually understand our music), and would love any kind of constructive criticism (compliments are nice, too Wink) Please also feel free to help define our genre of Prog, my guess would be Heavy Prog, but... I need help defining us. Here is part of the description taken off our OurStage.com page:

"The Aether Tree is an independent art rock band based in Missouri. It began as Donovan Tuesday's solo project because “There really just weren't that many people where I grew up who wanted to play this kind of stuff.” Not wanting to wait to form a band, Donovan began multitracking on his computer, and played all the instruments on the first two releases himself.  This DIY no holds barred approach served Donovan well, garnering unexpected local attention. After putting out River of Razors (2008) Donovan enlisted the help of high school friends for live shows, and after graduation his focus shifted to the next project: Horseshoes and Handgrenades. Like the first EP, this album was recorded mostly in basements with computer rigs and no budget, but it expanded on the aesthetic of its somewhat erratic predecessor with higher fidelity, and stronger performances. Horseshoes and Handgrenades was released August 2008. Sometime that summer, Donovan was joined by Lonnie Chapman on drums, and they immediately began work on the second Aether Tree full length, The Children's War. “We had talked about playing together for like, 3 years, ever since I found out he listened to some of the same weird prog rock I did. We actually met at his church...I didn't go over very well when I played there.” After finishing the songs the two holed up in Echo Echo studios and recorded the album, released March 28th, 2009. Plans for the future include more recording and a summer minitour."

Album title: The Children's War
Tracklisting:
1 Play Peppermint
5:59
2 Play Osos Sin Ojos
8:49
3 Play Lucy
2:13
4 Play I. The Children's War 
6:34
5 Play II. Film The Face Of A Dying Child
6:11
6 Play III. Ya No Sangra La Hija
8:46
7 Play Lolita
4:54
8 Play Pain Passion Perseverance
10:46
9 Play Prayer Of The Prey 
5:32

Links to songs: http://www.last.fm/music/The+Aether+Tree/The+Children%27s+War
http://www.ourstage.com/fanclub/theaethertree

Despite the progressive scene being pretty minute in our area, our band has actually had fairly decent success locally, and we plan on doing a mini tour this summer, ranging from Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, and Michigan. Hopefully we can catch some of you there!

Thanks for reading and/or listening. If you want to hear the whole album in the highest quality for free, send me a PM and I'll link you.

~ Lonnie
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 15:35
You guys need to come to St. Louis. I used to live in Columbia and I guess I missed out.
Lonnie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 15:44

crimhead,

There's a good chance we'll be playing at least one St. Louis show this summer. If you know of any good venues that you think would suit us well, let me know so I can pass it on to our booking agent. The only place we've looked into at the moment is the Creepy Crawl, but I think they're more of a "emo"-type environment.

Hope you enjoyed the music,
~ Lonnie
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 16:01
The Heavy Prog will be very happy to listen and evaluate your album. Thank you for posting about your band, and please, let us know if you are planning to perform in the DC area. My husband and I live in Northern Virginia, and would be delighted to get to see you.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 17:21
Originally posted by Lonnie Lonnie wrote:

crimhead,

There's a good chance we'll be playing at least one St. Louis show this summer. If you know of any good venues that you think would suit us well, let me know so I can pass it on to our booking agent. The only place we've looked into at the moment is the Creepy Crawl, but I think they're more of a "emo"-type environment.

Hope you enjoyed the music,
~ Lonnie

At last I heard the Creepy Crawl closed down. Check Cicero's,Blueberry Hill,Lemmon's,Grammophone,Off Broadway.The Firebird,The Old Rock House,Broadway Oyster Bar.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 18:39
Had a listen to some of the songs - liked what I heard; varied and interesting and heavy. Wish you the best of luck with the album and tour.

Lonnie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 00:43
Thanks for the positive replies so far. Crimhead (and anyone else interested), we are playing in St. Louis twice in August as we wrap up our tour. We'll be playing the following shows:

Fubar in St. Louis: August 8th -- $8 -- 5PM
POPS in St. Louis: August 12th -- $3 -- 6:30PM

Also, as a month or two ago our songs are now officially on iTunes. I don't have a direct link, but if you search The Aether Tree our album should come up. We appreciate any support to help us pay for our traveling expenses and other costs.

Let us know if you can make any of the shows, I always enjoy meeting some prog fans!! Star
 Post Reply Post Reply