Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 394395396397398 446>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 08:12
Quote .S. scores dead last again in healthcare study

Yeah, that's about correct. My gf who's a doctor said when we were only talking about emigrating that the US is a good place to be only when you're young and in full power and health. LOL

Edited by harmonium.ro - June 24 2010 at 08:16
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 06:37
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

It can change.

It can stay the same.

No matters who wins, it will stay the same. 

Oh, no no no,  I'm totally optimistic that things can actually get much much much worse.

U.S. scores dead last again in healthcare study

Bubu butt butt, how can this be when the right wing pundits and politicians say we have the best health care system in the world?

I'm adding a link to an opinion piece.  If you don't know Hightower in this country, you should get to know him:
Jim Hightower: Enter the Real Populists
Excerpt:
"Few people today call themselves populists, but I think most are. I'm not talking about the recent political outbursts by confused, used and abused tea-bag ranters who've been organized by corporate front groups to spread a hatred of government.

Rather, I mean the millions of ordinary Americans in every state who're battling the real power that's running roughshod over us: out-of-control corporations. With their oceans of money and their hired armies of lobbyists and lawyers, these self-serving, autocratic entities operate from faraway executives suites and Washington backrooms to rig the economic and governmental rules so that they can capture an ever-bigger share of America's money and power.

You can yell yourself red-faced at Congress critters you don't like and demand a government so small that it'd fit in the backroom of Billy Bob's Bait Shop and Sushi Stand, but you won't be touching the corporate and financial powers behind the throne. In fact, weak government is the political wet dream of corporate chieftains, which is why they're so ecstatic to have the tea party out front for them. But the real issue isn't small government, it's good government. (Can I get an amen from Gulf Coast fishing families on that!?)

It's necessary to restate the solid principles of populism and reassert its true spirit, because both are now being severely perverted by corporate manipulators and a careless media establishment. To these debasers of the language, any politicos or pundits who tap into any level of popular anger (toward Barack Obama, liberals, the IRS, poor people, unions, gays, immigrants, Hollywood, community organizers, environmentalists et al.) get a peel-off "populist" label slapped onto their lapels -- even when their populist pose is funded by and operates as a front for one or another corporate interest. That's not populism, it's rank hucksterism -- disguising plutocrats as champions of the people."

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 24 2010 at 06:49
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 23:32

It can change.

It can stay the same.

No matters who wins, it will stay the same. 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 15:33
Help me I'm falling!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 09:38
Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

It can change.

It can stay the same.

Hail to power and glory's way!

And they are all really so sincere, so sin. Wink

http://electoral-vote.com/

Haley Wins in South Carolina     Permalink

Nikki Haley won the South Carolina Republican nomination for governor over Rep. Gresham Barrett (R-SC) by about 62% to 38%. She will instantly discussed as a kingmaker or even potential Vice Presidential material for 2012, as if 2 years as governor of a small state qualifies one to be President. On the otheer hand, that is also Sarah Palin's curriculum vitae and she is endlessly discussed as a potential nominee.

Marshall to Face Burr in North Carolina     Permalink

In the Democratic senatorial primary in North Carolina, Secretary of State Elaine Marshall beat the establishment candidate Cal Cunningham. Marshall will face Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) in November. This is the famous cursed seat, which has flipped parties five times in a row. Marshall is aiming to make that six in a row.

Lee Wins in Utah     Permalink

At the state Republican convention, Sen. Bob Bennett (R-UT) came in a distant third and therefore did not make it to the primary, an extreme rarity for a sitting senator to be rejected by his own party at a state convention. The primary was held yesterday and attorney Mike Lee won it narrowly, 51% to 48%. He will face Democrat Sam Granato in November and is the heavy favorite to replace Bennett in this reddest of red states.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 24 2010 at 06:37
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 09:31

It can change.

It can stay the same.

Hail to power and glory's way!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 09:27
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 14:51
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Since the Tea Party Movement is obviously a dangerous and really bad thing.

Interesting David.  Nice to see Chomsky sticking his neck out.  Politics makes strange bedfellows indeed. 

Thanks Jim. While I normally disagree with Chomsky, I think he's absolutely right here. Other than that, I agree with everything that the person who wrote the article said.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 14:45
Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Since the Tea Party Movement is obviously a dangerous and really bad thing.

Interesting David.  Nice to see Chomsky sticking his neck out.  Politics makes strange bedfellows indeed. 

horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 14:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 14:08

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

^  We seem to have redefined what is 'News'   Big smile

Actually, not that much. LOL If you watch the American major news media, it basically is a few headlines followed by human interest stories, celebrity titillation, and sports.  Just another reason the country is so screwed up. 

LOLLOL

Well as we tend to follow your lead.  I look forward to Lady Gaga's photoshopped arse on the BBC headlines!
Help me I'm falling!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 14:00
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Actually, not that much. LOL If you watch the American major news media, it basically is a few headlines followed by human interest stories, celebrity titillation, and sports.  Just another reason the country is so screwed up. 

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 13:56
It's a shame they photoshopped her ass into oblivion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 13:50

Help me I'm falling!
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 13:46

Lady Gaga's new Rolling Stone magazine cover shot.  Go get em girl!
Lady Gaga
Photograph by Terry Richardson

Say, nice shoes.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 13:37
Lady Gaga's new Rolling Stone magazine cover shot.  Go get em girl!
Lady Gaga
Photograph by Terry Richardson

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 13:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

Why Wont This Soldier Melt, Toy Soldier, you must obey your commander, I have put you in the furnace for a complete meltdown, now start dripping.  heheh, yeah that's it. Ooozing somewhere? private. Oh No, LOOK OUT!! attack from the sky,Its vibration Baby. KABOOM!!!

I see, you did mean things to your toy soldiers, too.  I found that they make interesting shapes if you douse them in cologne and set them on fire. LOL

It's an editorial, but I love the headline: Zombies Have Already Killed The Deficit Commission brains, brains. Tongue

Lock this guy up and throw away the key: Times Square Wannabee Terrorist Bomber Pleads Guilty

With 10 counts against him and the guy pleading guilty it sounds like he's getting life without the possibility of parole.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 07:39
Thought-provoking article about politics in the US.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 18:42
Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

Why Wont This Soldier Melt, Toy Soldier, you must obey your commander, I have put you in the furnace for a complete meltdown, now start dripping.  heheh, yeah that's it. Ooozing somewhere? private. Oh No, LOOK OUT!! attack from the sky,Its vibration Baby. KABOOM!!!

I see, you did mean things to your toy soldiers, too.  I found that they make interesting shapes if you douse them in cologne and set them on fire. LOL

It's an editorial, but I love the headline: Zombies Have Already Killed The Deficit Commission brains, brains. Tongue

Lock this guy up and throw away the key: Times Square Wannabee Terrorist Bomber Pleads Guilty

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 21 2010 at 18:47
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 12:55
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Zero tolerance = zero intelligence:
Toy soldiers run afoul of school's weapons ban

Right, because American soldiers dispatch the enemy with kindness and tolerance

Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 394395396397398 446>