Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 400401402403404 446>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 19:34
Just a question for Finn and other ones who have said this repeatedly... Why do you think most of the country is not racist? What statistics show you that most of the white people are not racists? I'm just asking. I'm not saying they are, but since it seems it's ridiculous to even accuse the big majority of being racists, I just want to know where your point is coming from...  

Edited by The T - May 23 2010 at 19:35
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:53
Many of the posts here are really interesting but shouldn't these posts have been made here?
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40226&PID=3629925#3629925

Smile

Edited by Atkingani - May 23 2010 at 16:53
Guigo

~~~~~~
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:49
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I for one do not support decriminalizing institutionalized racism if that's what you are suggesting/asking.  
Well David and Rob do, so it's a valid question. And I'm also tired of people being called racist (even though what they're saying is abhorrent, I don't think Rob or David or Rand Paul are racist), but it's hard for me to imagine another reason for believing that Obama is not a US citizen and a secret Muslim.

I sometimes make statements that are not to be confused with my actual position on a subject.  My whole point about restaurants was that should restaurants refuse to serve a particular racial group, and this became publicly known, most such businesses would probably fail very quickly.

As you yourself said, this is a different America than the mid-20th century.  Contrary to what so many people would have us believe, I don't think racism is a huge problem anymore.  It exists in pockets, but I think many of the accusations of racism are just an attempt to use the "R-word" to discredit an opponent without having to engage in thoughtful debate.  The accusation of racism is now a useful rhetorical tool (look at how casually it is bandied about in this thread alone in the past few days).

(The media does this all the time.  Let's say a man gets rowdy in a restaurant and is asked to leave before he is served.  He complains and the media gives us this headline: Restaurant X Refuses Service to a Black Man.  Add the color of the man's skin, and there's an implied charge of racism right there, and that's precisely what many readers will take away from the story).

I've experienced racist talk from some old white people and a few young people (most of whom I would describe as ignorant on many levels).  By far, most of the racism I've experienced came from blacks talking about whites or Hispanics.  I took a class in college called "African-American Philosophy," which was essentially 16 weeks of justifying black racism.  I got a C, by the way- lowest grade of my college career.  I was the only white person in the class.

I also can't tell you how many black and Hispanic students I had who accused me of racism when they did poorly on an exam, for instance (because, you know, I have this incredible power to make only black and Hispanic students fall asleep or act foolish while I'm teaching Ermm).

Same thing in our country, only we don't have black people (African Americans you call them ?), but Gypsies. It's basically the same case, given that gypsies in our country are trying to take after a lot after American Black People. I hope this term doesn't sound racist in English.

Gypsies forms about 5% of our society, Vietnamese people another 5% (roughly), but there are no problems with Vietnamese, but it's probably because of society / culture differences. But what I am trying to say - I studies a lot Gypsy community here in Czech Republic, I was friend with some of them and I can tell you, some of them are really good. Very devoted, faithful when it comes to these things.

Another cultural thing is that they mostly listen hip-hop, I'm not sure why, but also again Society / Cultural reasons. 

There is something called Positive Discrimination here in Czech R. It's for example when Gypsy / Vietnamese / Handicaped person is applying to the job, the employee is obliged to hire them, when they're skilled enough.

Otherwise he would be prosecuted because he would be called racist.

Some racists are known to call Black People by word "Niggas". Well, in our country, there is feeling that word Gypsy is offensive. That we should call them "Romas". But to the hell, these "darker people" (how should I call them) that I CAN CALL MY FRIENDS, they commonly called themselves by this word, they allowed me to call them like that and said that this media campaign against this word is just big, fat bulls_h_T.

Sigh.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:44
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100523/ap_on_bi_ge/us_financial_overhaul_loopholes_1

Quote:

" The most sweeping changes to financial rules since the Great Depression might not prevent another crisis.

Experts say the financial regulatory bill approved by the Senate last week, and a similar bill that passed the House, include loopholes and gaps that weaken their impact. Many provisions depend on the effectiveness of regulatory agencies — the same agencies that failed to foresee the last crisis.

A big reason for the bill's limitations is that banks and industry groups lobbied against rules they felt would reduce their profit-making ability.

The financial sector's influence in Washington reflects its enormous donations and lobbying. Over the past two decades, it's given $2.3 billion to federal candidates. It's outdone every other industry in lobbying since 1998, having spent $3.8 billion."

With the above assessment in mind, could somebody please shed some light as to how less regulation on businesses, and the recent freedoms granted to businesses to make political donations, is somehow better for our economy?

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 16:12

I for one do not support decriminalizing institutionalized racism if that's what you are suggesting/asking.  
Well David and Rob do, so it's a valid question. And I'm also tired of people being called racist (even though what they're saying is abhorrent, I don't think Rob or David or Rand Paul are racist), but it's hard for me to imagine another reason for believing that Obama is not a US citizen and a secret Muslim.

I sometimes make statements that are not to be confused with my actual position on a subject.  My whole point about restaurants was that should restaurants refuse to serve a particular racial group, and this became publicly known, most such businesses would probably fail very quickly.

As you yourself said, this is a different America than the mid-20th century.  Contrary to what so many people would have us believe, I don't think racism is a huge problem anymore.  It exists in pockets, but I think many of the accusations of racism are just an attempt to use the "R-word" to discredit an opponent without having to engage in thoughtful debate.  The accusation of racism is now a useful rhetorical tool (look at how casually it is bandied about in this thread alone in the past few days).

(The media does this all the time.  Let's say a man gets rowdy in a restaurant and is asked to leave before he is served.  He complains and the media gives us this headline: Restaurant X Refuses Service to a Black Man.  Add the color of the man's skin, and there's an implied charge of racism right there, and that's precisely what many readers will take away from the story).

I've experienced racist talk from some old white people and a few young people (most of whom I would describe as ignorant on many levels).  By far, most of the racism I've experienced came from blacks talking about whites or Hispanics.  I took a class in college called "African-American Philosophy," which was essentially 16 weeks of justifying black racism.  I got a C, by the way- lowest grade of my college career.  I was the only white person in the class.

I also can't tell you how many black and Hispanic students I had who accused me of racism when they did poorly on an exam, for instance (because, you know, I have this incredible power to make only black and Hispanic students fall asleep or act foolish while I'm teaching Ermm).

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 15:49

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

teabaggers

It's difficult Brian when you start from where you do, which is to from the start assume the worst about people who disagree with you.  Do you realize you just called for civility even as you namecall your opposition with two insulting terms in the very next paragraph?  

A lot of the teabaggers referred to themselves as teabaggers, or at least their conservative supporters did, especially at the beginning of their completely retarded movement. This generated much hilarity as we all know. Their further actions didn't give their movement any more credence in my eyes.

I won't give any quarter to a movement that insults the original Tea Party by comparing our current "crisis" to what the colonists were dealing with. It's white people crying about "dem poor guvment taken ur taxes." Regardless of any intellectuals that may have decided to take advantage of the zeitgeist and steer it back to a shore of sanity, the basis of the teabagger movement is selfishness and misunderstanding what their government is doing.

Plus any movement that doesn't instantly try to distance itself from Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin when they hop on the bandwagon deserves very little credit. Then I look at collections of the signs from these protests...hey maybe not everyone there is racist, but you have to gouge out your own eyes not to see that a good base of these people are racist or just plain dumb. Or both. And I don't see how smart, honorable conservatives could stomach being in the crowd and associating with those people.

Edited by stonebeard - May 23 2010 at 15:52
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 14:11

if you own a sodastream i hate you
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well, no reason why we can't have a civilized and spirited debate.

You may not be a racist personally but there are lots of racists amongst  the teabaggers.  In fact they are just a division of the Rupugnican party.  When the Democratic Party stood up for civil rights it didn't take long before the racist democrats became Republicans. 

It's difficult Brian when you start from where you do, which is to from the start assume the worst about people who disagree with you.  Do you realize you just called for civility even as you namecall your opposition with two insulting terms in the very next paragraph?  

Edited by Finnforest - May 23 2010 at 10:48

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:32
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:02
Then again, when there's unfounded blanket insinuation, not objecting lets the falsehood persist.

Tough call. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 09:52
True, I'll try to work on that.  Wink

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 09:42
If I pose a question that doesn't deserve a response you are totally free to ignore it.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 08:54
You're pretty good at smug yourself.  His "question" wasn't a question and does not deserve a response.  Like his post of a few days ago, its simply an attempt to insinuate a large portion of the country is racist.  It's a non-starter for conversation after we've had some pretty good exchanges here the last couple of days.  I will not answer his questions that start from the perspective that I'm evil.  And I'm not talking about Rand here...but general conservatism in the public.  I for one do not support decriminalizing institutionalized racism if that's what you are suggesting/asking.  

Edited by Finnforest - May 23 2010 at 09:21

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 08:35

Yup Brian, that's exactly what they want......they want to go back to racial lynchings and dividing restaurants.  Another nice worthless provocation, you're on a roll. 

Excuse me while I turn on my air purifier to remove the cloud of smug coming off of your post.

Ok, O Wise One, care to ellaborate? What in God's name would be accomplished by decriminalizing institutionalized racism? How do Ayn Rand Paul and the Teabaggers want to improve my life by suggesting this? Answer Brian's question, don't just repeat selected phrases of his post back to him in a lame attempt to make him sound like he doesn't have a valid question.

Edited by jplanet - May 23 2010 at 08:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 08:23
Yup Brian, that's exactly what they want......they want to go back to racial lynchings and dividing restaurants.  Another nice worthless provocation, you're on a roll. 

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 05:23
Well, speaking of the US today vs. the US in the 60's, lynchings aren't tolerated, you can't be denied service at a public serving establishment based on the color of your skin, and I was able to legally marry my wife...
It begs the question of those who want to "take my country back": back to what???

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 23 2010 at 05:27

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 05:11
Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I believe you should be able to run your business serving whomever you wish.  Chances are, if you refuse the service of any group, you choose to fail.  And that's your punishment for being racist.
But that only works when the majority of society is not racist, or at least not willing to be seen as racist in public. That was not the case in the South before the Civil Rights Act, which is why it was necessary. Should black people have waited another 50 or 100 years until the white majority realized they were wrong and graciously allowed black people to do things? There's no point in having anti-discrimination laws that everybody is willing to enforce on their own, because as you said people will ostracize anybody who doesn't follow societial norms. The point is to change societal norms so they stop being so terrible.

The WSJ quoted this NRO piece today, and while I'm generally not a fan of the National Review (I loathe Mark Steyn), I thought it was a good point with regard to libertarian racism.

And I believe that the majority of our country isn't racist.

Cheers Jim!
(as I stated during the UK elections) I believe that everybody is naturally xenophobic, (whether the "foreigners" come from the next tribe, hamlet, village, town, city, county, country or the next continent),  - which isn't racist or bigotry unless it is acted upon. And sometimes that action can be something as simple as inaction - passive condoning or acceptance (by the silent majority) becomes the society's norm.

Which is exactly why I think racism in the United States is worse today than it was in the 1960s. Anybody who tries to talk about how to fix it is usually deemed a "racist" themselves. And not talking about a problem doesn't make it go away.

its a bit too easy to say if a business chooses not to serve a group of people then they choose to fail.  That could happen if that group is big enough and vocal enough and receives the support of the majority and are aware that the business is descriminating.  That's a lot to expect and as Dean says lack of action will look like condoning this kind of behaviour. 

There are other groups such as disabled people who are a clear minority and may be more expensive to provide a service to.  So you are saying that if MacDonalds (For Example) decide it is too expensive to provide access to disabled people (Even though they can afford to) then this is acceptable - the free market will eventually cause Macdonalds to change its mind?  How long would this take?  And there are even smaller minorites who are much more invisible.  And smaller businesses than Macdonalds will get away with what they can. 

To coin a phrase this idea is patently Bollocks.LOL The idea that the free market will sort everything out?   Look at the Banks.  They prove the fact that unfortunately good legislation is necessary. 

One day you might find yourself banned from a Bed and Breakfast on the ground of being a 'Prog Fan'  How would you feel?
Help me I'm falling!
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 05:03
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

The Special One wins the Triple for InternationaleApproveThumbs Up

Oh he is special indeed, congratulations to him, the team and the fans! Clap
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 00:30

Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Wrong assumption - people would throw minorities under a bus in a heartbeat. When they can get away with it, they do it. If it were freely allowed, millions would be denied essential goods and services in their daily lives, many realtors wouldn't show them apartments or houses, grocery stores would turn them away. It would be a nightmare, and people in the US have proven this before when given the chance.

You're exaggerating just a teensy bit. Yes, banks redlining neighborhoods was a terrible thing to do, but I think that was more about poverty and loan delinquencies than racism. Do you seriously believe that if the Civil Rights Act was repealed, minorities wouldn't be able to get groceries anymore? America is not the same as it was in 1930, people would get pissed if that happened again. Just like I haven't killed any Native Americans lately. And holy sh*t we elected a black President!

Finn, if you truly are 100% comfortable with all people from all cultures, then yes, I would say you are an exception. I cannot say that I am, although that is in a large part due to the practices of other cultures. However, I think that being friends with ethnic people in your neighborhood doesn't count as overcoming the brain's inherent conservatism and xenophobia. They're right there, xenophobia is about people who you don't know.

And while we're talking about government...

Edited by Henry Plainview - May 23 2010 at 00:46
if you own a sodastream i hate you
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 00:10
Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Ok, this is proof positive for me that the teabag party is nothing more than an attempt to put a "hip" face on old, pro-corporate, pro-racist, anti-minority views.

It's people who are fed up with the way the federal government is currently behaving. It has nothing to do with race.

Who cares if racist business owners get to run businesses the way they want to other than racists?

If society determines that being prejudice against people on the basis of race is bad (and I would assume that's true in this country), then businesses that exhibit those practices will go out of business.

Wrong assumption - people would throw minorities under a bus in a heartbeat. When they can get away with it, they do it. If it were freely allowed, millions would be denied essential goods and services in their daily lives, many realtors wouldn't show them apartments or houses, grocery stores would turn them away. It would be a nightmare, and people in the US have proven this before when given the chance.

Who cares of gay people get married other than homophobes? Do you care to explain how society benefits from this restriction?

Are we talking about gays being allowed to marry or gays being allowed to have the same economic rights as married couples?

Marriage in the civil sense, which entitles each partner to economic rights. so, the answer is both. You know, equality.

I am so pro gay marriage that I am married to my boyfriend - and I'll fight for that right until the end.

And that's entirely your decision. No one has the right to tell you who you can and can't love. Smile

Of course! But many try to marginalize it every day. As I stood by my partner's side through ten years, stood by him through a kidney transplant, and took on the role of caregiver - then I look at all these straight couples marrying because someone got knocked up, societal pressure, citizenship, etc., yet they tell me that our relationship is not as legitimate as theirs - seriously, really? And when it comes from so-called Libertarians, it is quite literally adding insult to injury.

Edited by jplanet - May 23 2010 at 00:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 400401402403404 446>