Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 19:19
I stand corrected.  Move it over into the plausible column.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 20:57
A friend of mine got stuck in his car when we had a big snow storm last winter. He is a large man, so he could probably have lasted the 2 months, though I doubt it. Of course, around here, the roads were drivable again within 48 hours...
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 14:41
The same guy who also said "let me be a Hitler tenfold"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46463594/ns/world_news-africa/#.T0PO0HJWpss

OK, this isn't as bad as it's made out to be as he's trying to make a point and not literally saying he's better than Christ, but still a chuckle to be had.
In fact the Hitler comment was not quite as it seems on the surface either...guess his "wit and intellect" that "charmed" so much of the West isn't so hot these daysLOL

Edited by JJLehto - February 21 2012 at 14:42
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarke2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 08:27
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 18:31
AC's guest killed in Syria
She was on his show just last night

Link

An American-born reporter for the London Sunday Times, Marie Colvin, was killed in Syria
on Wednesday morning. Colvin happened to be a guest on Anderson Cooper's show last night.

On the program, Colvin reported that a two-year-old baby had been killed in an attack on
another home and she had witnessed the child die.  "There's been constant shelling in the city,"
Colvin said. "... It's chaos here."

"Every civilian house on this street has been hit," she continued. "This is a very poor neighborhood.
The top floor of the building I'm in has been hit, in fact, totally destroyed. There are no military
targets here. There is the Free Syrian Army. Heavily outnumbered and out-gunned."

Colvin added: "It's a complete and utter lie they're only going after terrorists.
The Syrian Army is simply shelling a city of cold, starving civilians."
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 16:08
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 16:02
February 27, 2012
Tom Tomorrow:
The world we live in

Amazing story in Mother Jones about the human toll of the warehouse fulfillment industry. Those packages that show up on your doorstep a day or two after you one-click-order them? Turns out they’re not being processed by happy magical elves.

One suggestion for minimizing work-related pain and strain is to get a stepladder to retrieve any items on shelves above your head rather than getting up on your toes and overreaching. But grabbing one of the stepladders stashed few and far between among the rows of merchandise takes time. Another is to alternate the hand you use to hold and wield your cumbersome scanner. “You’ll feel carpal tunnel start to set in,” one of the supervisors told me, “so you’ll want to change hands.” But that, too, he admitted, costs time, since you have to hit the bar code at just the right angle for it to scan, and your dominant hand is way more likely to nail it the first time. Time is not a thing I have to spare. I’m still only at 57 percent of my goal. It’s been 10 years since I was a mover and packer for a moving company, and only slightly less since I worked ridiculously long hours as a waitress and housecleaner. My back and knees were younger then, but I’m only 31 and feel pretty confident that if I were doing those jobs again I’d still wake up with soreness like a person who’d worked out too much, not the soreness of a person whose body was staging a revolt. I can break into goal-meeting suicide pace for short bouts, sure, but I can’t keep it up for 10.5 hours.

Online shopping is clearly not going away, but this is an issue that needs a lot more attention. I’d much rather pay a little more, and/or wait an extra week or two for my crap, than have people working in conditions like this.

On another note:

Bernie Sanders: Wall Street Greed Fueling High Gas Prices

"What's the cause? Forget what you may have read about the laws of supply and demand. Oil and gas prices have almost nothing to do with economic fundamentals. According to the Energy Information Administration, the supply of oil and gasoline is higher today than it was three years ago, when the national average for a gallon of gasoline was just $1.90. Meanwhile, the demand for oil in the U.S. is at its lowest level since April of 1997.

Is Big Oil to blame? Sure. Partly. Big oil companies have been gouging consumers for years. They have made almost $1 trillion in profits over the past decade, in part thanks to ridiculous federal subsidies and tax loopholes. I have proposed legislation to end those pointless giveaways to some of the biggest and most profitable corporations in the history of the world.

But there's another reason for the wild rise in gas prices. The culprit is Wall Street. Speculators are raking in profits by gambling in the loosely regulated commodity markets for gas and oil.

A decade ago, speculators controlled only about 30% of the oil futures market. Today, Wall Street speculators control nearly 80% of this market. Many of those people buying and selling oil in the commodity markets will never use a drop of this oil. They are not airlines or trucking companies who will use the fuel in the future. The only function of the speculators in this process is to make as much money as they can, as quickly as they can."

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 28 2012 at 16:09

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 18:37
I'll take my 2 day shipping.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 11:04
The news that isn't reported is almost always more important than what is.
"Our Mainstream Media Is A Sad Pathetic Bunch Of Subservient Government Lapdogs"

Time always wins.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 12:40
Davy Jones has gone to his locker! 

RIP Davy Jones of the Monkees.  I know Boy Band Pop but I always liked them!
Sadly died today
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 08:40
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 20:38
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 04:39
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

f**k me, people aren't decent.

My wife and I saw this on TV yesterday and we think the guy is gay which makes it even weirder.  My second thought is that his teaching career is obviously over.  Not sure how either of them are ever going to be able to make a living.

Right Wing Media Mischief-maker Andrew Breitbart Dead at Age 43

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 02 2012 at 04:42

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:25
Why do you think he's gay? 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:53
Just a hunch and my wife had the same hunch.  I swear, we saw this guy on TV and both said "wait a second" simultaneously.  

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 02 2012 at 09:54

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:58
Whoa bro
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 10:11
I don't gamble but I think the story will get more peculiar.  

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 10:42
^That's like the worst beard to get to deflect the "gay" thing... I mean, if I'm gay and I don't want anybody to know, nothing better than leaving my wife for an 18-year old student of mine....

On the other hand, he would be quite a good sex education teacher... 

Edited by The T - March 02 2012 at 10:43
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 10:45
I might be wrong but I still say the plot will thicken. Wink

Keep in mind that they didn't do anything until she was 18 and what exactly did they do after?

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 02 2012 at 10:47

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 11:22
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

f**k me, people aren't decent.

I thought this was the 'News' thread. 

'Man leaves family for eighteen year old girl' well who'd a thunk it!
Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 446>