Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 208209210211212 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:00

Well they're actually two issues. One is how to deal with aggression. Medical tools might be just as useful as social or cognitive ones.

In terms of actual attitudes and thought patterns, that's cultural / social / cognitive.

As I tell people in the office when I'm treating depression or other similar issues, it's better to access all available tools and use them for what they're best suited, rather than just using one tool and assume it does everything.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:01
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^Ok, but, is it desirable? Even if such a thing existed. 

EDIT: I'm talking about the supposed treatment itself, not the reduction of racism by normal social processes which we all probably agree is desirable. 

I assume you're still banging on about explicit racism, (otherwise it's a non-question)... are any behaviour modification drugs desirable? ... and the only answer to that would be "no, of course they aren't". Also, this isn't a treatment, supposed or otherwise, nor is it a proposed one, it is simply the results of a study on 18 people (volunteers). Stop extrapolating based upon a poorly written article in a dumb right-wing British newspaper.
What?
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:23
Dean, read my response on the previous page.

The issues raised are much larger than a single study or the over generalized mainstream article produced about it.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:29
And you will find that even to my apparent nonsense question a lot of people would answer "yes".
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:36
I would answer that yes it's desirable to do lots of things without pharmaceuticals.

A) It's not always possible
B) Sometimes it's better to use both medical AND non-medical interventions

If by giving a pill to some dumbarse, I could keep him from harming someone of another race heck ya I'd do it. Yes I'd PREFER to talk sense to him, but that isn't always possible. Again, to the real people I have in my practice who have issues with aggression, we usually are hitting both sides.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:42
^Provided those patients have gone to see you voluntarily and have accepted treatment in the same way, of course I agree. Maybe if some dumb idiot hurts somebody then we could start talking about the need for not-so-voluntary treatment with medication (still not a fan of this anyway). My concern is always with forced treatment. "Oh that guy yelled racist insults in the stadium the other day. Give him the pill!".
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:50

And you will find that even to my apparent nonsense question a lot of people would answer "yes".
Never said it was a nonsense question, I said (if you are referring to implicit racial bias) it is a non-question. "Curing" implicit racial bias is pointless and meaningless - implicit racial bias is not racism.

Of course a lot of people will say "yes" to drugs to cure racism, just as a lot of people would still prescribe chemical castration for homosexuals.
What?
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 15:45

Cure is different than treat.

Involuntary medication is a sticky wicket. I only force meds on Marillion fans.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 18:14
...hence "curing" in quotes...
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 18:57
I'm still trying to figure out what is the benefit of putting people with "implictit'" racism on drugs.  Explicit racists are the damned problem.  I'd be more than happy to put them on stuff that would make them totally catatonic. 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 22:22
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

You're one step away from self-force-medicating then, Peter Gabriel fan
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 22:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what is the benefit of putting people with "implictit'" racism on drugs.  Explicit racists are the damned problem.  I'd be more than happy to put them on stuff that would make them totally catatonic. 
I'm quite sure you would do that with everybody that thinks somewhat different to you Slart
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 14:32
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 14:39

As you well know the category "drugs" contains a huge variety of chemicals. If giving someone something as mild as a cup of coffee's worth of caffeine would decrease their chance of being violent, you have to consider it.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 14:40

You're one step away from self-force-medicating then, Peter Gabriel fan

Beside the fact that I've been there done that...

Pretending to be Peter Gabriel and the real thing...not the same.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 16:45

As you well know the category "drugs" contains a huge variety of chemicals. If giving someone something as mild as a cup of coffee's worth of caffeine would decrease their chance of being violent, you have to consider it.

As you may well know we have a big crystal meth problem in this country.  I have my doubts that caffeine is the solution.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2012 at 08:53
I'd like the idea of anti-racism pills colouring them black.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 08:23
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 11:18
Only number 15?  We need to try harder:
Can Atlanta stress you out? Oh, yes

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 22 2012 at 11:19

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 14:42

Only number 15?  We need to try harder:
Can Atlanta stress you out? Oh, yes
Oh but Florida takes the cake it seems. It makes sense. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 208209210211212 446>