Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 326327328329330 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 23:10

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 23:15
^ it was volatile fertilizer, so it's unclear what actually happened- let's hope it was accidental
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 04:29
A very bad week for America..

That was one hell of a huge bang in Texas.

Texas blast

Edited by Blacksword - April 18 2013 at 04:30
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 05:05
Indeed terrible week for the US Cry
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 05:57
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ it was volatile fertilizer, so it's unclear what actually happened- let's hope it was accidental

My thought too.

Bad week indeed.  Ouch
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 08:04
It doesn’t look like terrorism, but it’s terrible all the same. Have you seen the video recorded by a man driving by with his daughter? He caught the actual blast, and a moment later everything went black. Scary!
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markosherrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:09
Explosion in WEST

Edited by markosherrera - April 18 2013 at 10:10
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 11:29
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I think this was definitely a domestic attack, but whether there was a political motivation behind it remains to be seen.  Although, some Republican Senator was sent some ricin poison, and I read that Obama received a suspicious letter.  It is also a possibility that for some reason or another that remains unknown this was directed against the Boston Marathon itself.  But this certainly doesn't sound like a case of international terrorism.  They usually like to blow themselves up along with everyone else and it also seems fairly small scale for the Taliban. 

It's too small scale for anything. You could leave a bomb of the same sort anywhere at random and kill more than 4 people.

Relating later events to the bombing doesn't do much good. The President receives suspicious letters constantly. People get more paranoid in the wake of an event like this. People also tend to be influenced by these things into action.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 16:05
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I think this was definitely a domestic attack, but whether there was a political motivation behind it remains to be seen.  Although, some Republican Senator was sent some ricin poison, and I read that Obama received a suspicious letter.  It is also a possibility that for some reason or another that remains unknown this was directed against the Boston Marathon itself.  But this certainly doesn't sound like a case of international terrorism.  They usually like to blow themselves up along with everyone else and it also seems fairly small scale for the Taliban. 

It's too small scale for anything. You could leave a bomb of the same sort anywhere at random and kill more than 4 people.
I don't think it was intended to kill, I think it was designed to do exactly what it did - maim and cripple a lot of people.
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 01:00
Some interesting earth-like planets observed, one described as potentially "Hawaiian", called Kepler-62e (not a very pleasing name for a new earth) ;
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130418140957.htm

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 05:30

One down, one to go.

Good work by the cops.  Stay tuned, these guys are going down with a (big) fight.  One was lobbing grenades out the window at cops apparently. 

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 06:19
^^^ Where are they getting grenades from?? Are these the 'disgrunteled returning military vets' the 2009 MIAC report was warning about, do you think?

They must be complete lunatics, because I can't see a political agenda here. Paranoid, twisted individuals just trying to make their stain on history?

EDIT: Just read elsewhere that one may have bee from Chechnya and one from Turkey.

Edited by Blacksword - April 19 2013 at 06:28
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 07:45
According to Norwegian newspapers they are (or were since one of them is dead) brothers from Chechnya. And probably Islamists. But then again the papers may be wrong.
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 08:56
They are saying that they are brothers with a Chechnyan background, but they have lived in the U.S. since 2000 or 2001, so the authorities aren't sure yet whether that is a factor or not.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 09:28
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I don't think it was intended to kill, I think it was designed to do exactly what it did - maim and cripple a lot of people.

I'm still having trouble with the logic of the placement. The MIT follow up makes much more sense.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 09:29
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ Where are they getting grenades from?? Are these the 'disgrunteled returning military vets' the 2009 MIAC report was warning about, do you think?

They must be complete lunatics, because I can't see a political agenda here. Paranoid, twisted individuals just trying to make their stain on history?

EDIT: Just read elsewhere that one may have bee from Chechnya and one from Turkey.

As far as I understood, they were generic explosives and not grenades. They were caught while attempting to plant at MIT so they had explosives on them for the chase.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 09:57

Yes, seems like they were legal US citizens living in Mass, and were either of Chechen origin or had links to it.

Chechen terrorist attacks are not a new thing, though usually they are in Russia, odd it'd be in the US...
Can only speculate. I assume these were 2 guys acting alone, not attached to any organizations.

We don't know if they were grenades, (that were thrown at officers in the shootout) and obviously the marathon bombs were made out of pressure cookers. Reports are right now they have NO record of being in the US military ever, though supposedly had militatry training from overseas.
Details are too sketchy right now, but I don't think they're disgruntled vets, nor do I think its an Islamic event (at least one attached to any groups). They wanted to make a scene, or have some type of political agenda, either way quite twisted.
Hope they can catch the remaning guy, esp if he's driving around in a car with guns and explosives.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:41
Quote In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.”

“We kept hearing, again and again, that ninety per cent of the American people wanted us to vote a certain way,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

WTF

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:44
And who says democracy doesn't work. Clown

Edited by Dean - April 19 2013 at 12:44
What?
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 13:10
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Quote In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.”

“We kept hearing, again and again, that ninety per cent of the American people wanted us to vote a certain way,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

WTF

That’s called satire, I think:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/04/courageous-senators-stand-up-to-american-people.html#entry-more

But satire is never successful unless it contains some truth …
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 326327328329330 446>