Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 336337338339340 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 15:34
Somehow I guessed you would be first to reply.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 16:02
Can't imagine how I missed that one! ?
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 16:39
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Somehow I guessed you would be first to reply.
If you could manage to make a post without slurring other people you'd not be guessing correctly so often (well, not so much really). 

Why would people not from the yooo-sess-aye (who are legion) comment on this? Odd as it may seem the rest of the world isn't preoccupied with tax in general and American tax in particular. 
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 17:07
An important government agency targetting specific groups of opposite views to the ruling party is not good news, no matter who is in which side. And not's really a tax issue only.

You comment on American news all the time anyway!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 17:27

An important government agency targetting specific groups of opposite views to the ruling party is not good news, no matter who is in which side. And not's really a tax issue only.
"Lerner said the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias. ... About 75 groups were inappropriately targeted. None had their tax-exempt status revoked, Lerner said"

"They accused the agency of frustrating their attempts to become tax exempt by sending them lengthy, intrusive questionnaires."

Oh, right. A minor scandal then. A mountain out of a molehill. A storm in a tea party cup. A bit naughty perhaps, looking for obvious political activity in an alleged charity organisation - oh dear, how stupid of them to do that, every fool knows the core activity of the Tea Party is not political at all, of course they should be tax-exempt - heaven forfend.

So the IRS was being sneaky, but nothing that would allow the scorn of the ages to fall upon every Democrat and/or Liberal/liberal member of the PA then. (ffs)

You comment on American news all the time anyway!
Of course I do.

No political group should be exempt tax.
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 17:45
A minor scandal. But even the president himself has reacted, because out of minor petty things like this bigger things can come. It has happened before.

On the other subject, true.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 20:12

And not's really a tax issue only.
Sorry for being a fixing freak, but ... did you mean "And that's not really a tax issue only"?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 21:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

"Lerner said the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias. ... About 75 groups were inappropriately targeted. None had their tax-exempt status revoked, Lerner said"

"They accused the agency of frustrating their attempts to become tax exempt by sending them lengthy, intrusive questionnaires."

Oh, right. A minor scandal then. A mountain out of a molehill. A storm in a tea party cup. A bit naughty perhaps, looking for obvious political activity in an alleged charity organisation - oh dear, how stupid of them to do that, every fool knows the core activity of the Tea Party is not political at all, of course they should be tax-exempt - heaven forfend.

Yeah I actually thought the same thing that it really wasn't a big deal. But more details are coming out and it seems bigger than thought. We'll see where it goes.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 02:18
Aieee, run away run away...  Junkie Russian bears get high by sniffing fumes from discarded barrels of aircraft fuel. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/junkie-russian-bears-high-sniffing-1771007

Oh yeah, you brushed off my warnings about the screaming like human goats, the goats in trees, you are gonna be so sorry now when the junkie Russian bears come for you.

Kudos for Stephen Colbert to making me aware of this. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 14 2013 at 02:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 02:48
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Yeah I actually thought the same thing that it really wasn't a big deal. But more details are coming out and it seems bigger than thought. We'll see where it goes.

Hmm, I still think it is a storm in a tea cup, but these things have a tendancy to spiral - it's not the deeds that brings them down but the fumbled cover-ups. Political groups should not be tax exempt.
Each year the IRS reviews as many as 60,000 applications from groups ranging from charities to labor unions that want to be classified as tax-exempt. "Social welfare" groups dedicated to the general good can be tax-exempt under tax law 501(c)4.

These groups do not have to disclose the identities of their donors and they can spend money on advertising for general issues, but they may not endorse specific candidates or parties.

The U.S. Supreme Court's January 2010 "Citizens United" ruling unleashed a torrent of new political spending and 501(c)4 groups became a popular conduit for some of it, on both ends of the political spectrum, but especially for conservatives.

The number of applications sent to the IRS by groups seeking 501(c)4 status rose to 3,400 in 2012 from 1,500 in 2010. As money poured into 501(c)4 groups, campaign finance activists began to raise questions and demanded a crackdown by the IRS.

What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 07:17
CIA spook detained in Moscow for trying to recruit Russian agent..

BBC article

I find this kind of thing intriguing, especially seeing as the cold war "ended" decades ago. In this case the detention was short and he was handed over to US officials, but I wonder how often there are spying incidents that we never hear of, in Russia, the US and Europe.

Edited by Blacksword - May 14 2013 at 07:17
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 07:24
Outrage at clip of Syrian rebel eating the heart of a soldier!

BBC

There has been broad condemnation for a video which appears to show a rebel taking a bite out of the heart of a Syrian soldiers herat. The main opposition groups in Syria have said he will be put on trial.

Whatever. Do we really want to be arming and supplying the opposition in Syria? What actual safeguards are there in a lawless civil war zone that effectively prevent weapons falling into the 'wrong hands' War is a dirty business. Do we know for sure that the main opposition groups are not committing all manner of atrocities themselves

Edited by Blacksword - May 14 2013 at 07:25
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 11:06
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Outrage at clip of Syrian rebel eating the heart of a soldier!

BBC

There has been broad condemnation for a video which appears to show a rebel taking a bite out of the heart of a Syrian soldiers herat. The main opposition groups in Syria have said he will be put on trial.

Whatever. Do we really want to be arming and supplying the opposition in Syria? What actual safeguards are there in a lawless civil war zone that effectively prevent weapons falling into the 'wrong hands' War is a dirty business. Do we know for sure that the main opposition groups are not committing all manner of atrocities themselves

The point of the story is for the Arab monarchies and the West to stop arming Islamic fundamentalists, so they can stop massacring religious minorities other than Sunnis and stop them from implementing shariah law in Syria.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 11:31
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

CIA spook detained in Moscow for trying to recruit Russian agent..

BBC article

I find this kind of thing intriguing, especially seeing as the cold war "ended" decades ago. In this case the detention was short and he was handed over to US officials, but I wonder how often there are spying incidents that we never hear of, in Russia, the US and Europe.

No, some members of the US establishment has never stopped this Cold War mentality, even after the Cold War has ended more than 2 decades ago. They also want to find more "Cold Wars" to start, hopefully with some Islamic countries.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 13:52
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:15
^ Now this is sick. "God is on their side". Not laughter-worthy but still somehow funny.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:21
LOL The girl asking if they were taking reservations for lunch in the middle of the expletive ridden 'conversation'
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

There are meltdowns, and then there's this.
"I AM WONDER WOMAN. I AM A GREAT CHEF, A GREAT WIFE, AND A GREAT MOM TO MY KIDS. AND WE WILL BE PARENTS TO A HUMAN KID, ONE DAY TO. WE WILL SHOW ALL OF YOU."
Confused 

What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:41
Absolutely awesome . They certainly look like they are a****le employers.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:44
Actually, read through some more of the posts and watching a bit of the program I think the poor woman needs help.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 336337338339340 446>