Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 376377378379380 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 04:24
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

The nation of Kyrgyzstan is now using vintage sadomasochist erotica for postage stamp illustration material.
Funny. Unfortunately they do not appear to have been issued by the Kyrgyzstan postal service.
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 21:50
Due to big fires in Napa, hot, dry weather and an unusual Easterly blowing, the air in the Bay Area is filled with smoke today.   It was almost unbreathable this afternoon.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 02:46
The strange but true story of how a prominent online political commentator turned out to be one of the most ambitious and persistent internet trolls the world has seen so far.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 08:16
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 08:32
Never heard of him before reading that article.  Sounds like a nice fella. 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 13:51
Morrissey has written a Modern Classic.
Help me I'm falling!
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 12:40
An anumeric language: Piraha

Really cool article. Makes me wish it were longer. Though, I could do without the final paragraph.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 07:45
13 year old boy with toy gun shot dead by police...

RT article

How horrible and tragic. I guess many cops are a bit jumpy in the US right now, but then if you see someone walking down the street with what appears to be an assault rifle, which they then refuse to drop when asked to by police this outcome is inevitable

Edited by Blacksword - October 24 2013 at 07:46
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 08:07
Germany is currently raging about the news that Angela Merkel's cell phone apparently was tapped by the NSA. Foreign secretary Westerwelle has summoned John B. Emerson, the US-ambassador to German, to his office.

Obama's denial is rather ambiguous and actually quite suggestive, he stated that the USA neither is nor will be tapping Merkel's cell phone, but he does not deny they have done so in the past. According to the FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung; one of the leading newspapers in Germany) it was not the cell phone she uses as chancellor (which is specially secured) but the cell phone she uses as head of her party (CDU, Christian Democratic Union).

German media actually react with double-edged comments. The Kölner Stadtanzeiger, another of the major newspapers in Germany, has an article titled "Wer nicht hören will muss fühlen ("He who won't listen will have to feel")", which is an old German proverb. This headline refers to the fact that there had been allegations of the NSA spying on phones of German citizens which were at that time being played down by Merkel. Der Spiegel titles "Merkels Wut, Obamas Versagen" ("Merkel's fury, Obama's failure").

Besides Merkel it is especially Hans-Peter Friedrich, Germany's secretary of the interior, who is being cut a sorry figure. A few months ago he had stated ""Noch bevor man überhaupt weiß, was die Amerikaner da genau machen, regen sich alle auf, beschimpfen die Amerikaner. Und diese Mischung aus Anti-Amerikanismus und Naivität geht mir gewaltig auf den Senkel." ("Still before they even know what exactly the Americans are doing at all everyone gets excited, berate the Americans. And this mixture of anti-Americanism and naivety seriously gets on my nerves"). Now that Merkel appears to be involved he is the one who gets most enraged about it. This weather vane reaction does certainly not make him look good.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 08:24
LOL I would imagine she'd be more pissed off if the American's weren't tapping her phone... Tongue
What?
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 15:31
This is good:

But the memo acknowledges that eavesdropping on the numbers had produced "little reportable intelligence". In the wake of the Merkel row, the US is facing growing international criticism that any intelligence benefit from spying on friendly governments is far outweighed by the potential diplomatic damage.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/24/nsa-surveillance-world-leaders-calls

You’ve probably seen it before. I can imagine what kind of conversations they surveyed … like, "Lottchen, I’m quite busy right now, can you bring some more coffee?" and "Hi, Joachim, I have to work a few more hours today. Please don’t be sauer (giggle)!"
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 16:25
Tapping Merkel's phone....LOL

She may be a very powerful woman, but man that sounds like a bad joke - or a brand new post rock outfit...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 08:32
Absolute idiocy.  Piss off important allies for intel of virtually no value.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 08:42
LOL
What?
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 09:48
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Chopper Read is dead

anyone upset by that?

Nope but I almost put him on my Death List for 2013... d'oh!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:01
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Germany and the US are not really full blown allies. I mean look at the history.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:02

The US still lives in a Cold War mentality. A mentality that has only been heightened by the hubris of so called winning the international pissing contest.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:04
Well Obama must be better than Merkel in a pissing contest...
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 12:18
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Germany and the US are not really full blown allies. I mean look at the history.

Dude, it's 2013.  We're as friendly with them as pretty much anyone else in the world.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 13:21
Heh...it's a given that any country that is capable of spying and eaves dropping on others is going to do it...including Germany. For instance, as an example,  It's no secret  that Israel has repeatedly spied on  the US over the last 40-50 years and they are suppoedly our ally.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 376377378379380 446>