Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 390391392393394 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 10:40
They are not expressing an opinion, they are harassing people. It's incredible how low all moral and intellectual standards have fallen that a bunch of Christian lunatics yelling at the doors of a clinic are supposedly "expressing their opinion". 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 10:45
^ Well, that's one of those things about the issue: the Supreme Court keeps following the Constitution like a rulebook when it needs some serious doctoring.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 14 2014 at 10:45
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 10:46

They are not that far off the  Westboro Baptist Church - possibly even worse.  Terrorists in disguise.
Help me I'm falling!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 10:55
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Well, that's one of those things about the issue: the Supreme Court keeps following the Constitution like a rulebook when it needs some serious doctoring.

That's kind of what the Constitution was meant to be, a rulebook.      And one of the problems is, once you start "doctoring" it, you might as well just throw the rulebook in the trash because it can be abrogated at a whim. And I think there has been too much doctoring of the Constitution already in the name of a recently closed thread.   

That said, two things about this ruling is that while I believe the 1st Amendment should be a near absolute, and that people have a right to say what they want but do not have a right to not hear what they don't want to hear, there is nothing wrong with time, place, manner restrictions. I don't think the 35 feet rule in any way infringes on the 1st Amendment right to speech. Also, you do have to wonder at the motives of the protesters as their time would be much better spent protesting in front of Congress, their state capitol or the Supreme Court instead of in front of an obviously completely hostile audience. They should be working to change the laws, reverse Roe v. Wade or whatever. Protesting in front of abortion clinics really accomplishes very little and hasn't done so in 40 years.

Edited by The Doctor - July 14 2014 at 10:56
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 11:05
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

. Also, you do have to wonder at the motives of the protesters as their time would be much better spent protesting in front of Congress, their state capitol or the Supreme Court instead of in front of an obviously completely hostile audience. They should be working to change the laws, reverse Roe v. Wade or whatever. Protesting in front of abortion clinics really accomplishes very little and hasn't done so in 40 years.

It's basically a cowardly move.  Shouting at women at when they are most vulnerable makes these cretins feel powerful.  Behaving the same way outside of the Supreme Court or Congress could get them arrested.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 11:09
Protesting in front of clinics and at women who probably are suffering much more than they are is not expressing speech, is harassment, aggressive behavior, infringing on other people's rights. 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 11:12
The right to say what you want is not surely, the right to take a loud hailer and stand next to someone and shout it in their ear.  At some point this would become abuse and so there would surely have to be a line drawn somewhere so why move the original sensible line? 

Seems like it displays how much power the religeous right has! 
Help me I'm falling!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 11:14
In the US the right to believe in a mighty being in the sky trumps any other right. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 11:20
I think you have to be very careful as to what you define as "harassment". Blocking someone's way, intimidating people through menacing speech or acts (getting up in someone's face, threatening someone, etc.), following someone and continually berating them all are harassment and some of these people may very well be guilty of such. However, simply saying something that another person does not like is not and should never be viewed as harassment. There has to be some additional acts to make it qualify,
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 11:21
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Well, thanks for clarifying your position. The article was straightforward, I didn't think the way you worderd your post was. My bad for not understanding, maybe..

Anyhow, I do essentially agree with you. If the anti abortin mob want to protest that's fine. I don't think they should be challenged on that but I think it's wrong they can actually get in the face of patients - probably stressed enough as it is facing an abortion procdure that will in many cases impact their emotional wellbeing for the rest of their lives. They coud feel ther physical well being seriously threatened by sme lunatic yelling at them too.

I guess the supreme have little choice but to follow the constitution in these cases (?)
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 11:26
^ The Constitution does not limit time, place or manner restrictions and so the 35 foot ruling was not a protection of free speech but an unnecessary and unwise expansion of the right. Governments have to be able to regulate time place and manner or otherwise, people could block up traffic on the expressway to protest something. Obviously, this can't be allowed for society to function normally. As long as the speech is not limited or the ability to speak, telling someone they have to stand 35 feet back is not infringing that right anymore than telling me I can't block traffic on I-35 to protest fossil fuels is infringing my right to free speech.

Edited by The Doctor - July 14 2014 at 11:26
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 20:51
Agreed Doc.  Protestors should not be able to infringe on the rights of others, block traffic, break stuff, trash public spaces, etc.  They certainly should not be able to intimidate patrons of a clinic, or a church, or a business.  Protestors on all sides of the ideological spectrum often act like buffoons. 

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 21:03
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Protestors on all sides of the ideological spectrum often act like buffoons.
What about protests with a goal to secure equal rights, or better yet, fairness (which is an abstract idea, but you get the gist of it)?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 14 2014 at 21:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 21:07
No.  Everyone's goals are noble to them.  No one should be able to infringe, intimidate, or destroy.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't excuse poor/criminal behaviour for some and condemn it for others.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 21:14
^ Agreed 100% Jim.  Everyone believes they are fighting for what is right, not just those fighting for "equality" or "fairness" which are both nebulous concepts at best.  And no one should be exempted from civilized behavior just because they claim to fight for a concept like fairness which can mean whatever one wants it to mean.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 21:29
Doc, it's good to see you around again my friend, did you take hiatus?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 21:41
Yeah, just took some time off for awhile.  Needed a little break but it's good to be back.  Good to see you, Jim.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 21:45
Understand completely.....sometimes ya just gotta unplug it all for a while.  Beer

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 08:12
Quite a reshuffling in the British cabinet, I see.  Who's to replace Hague as Foreign Sec?
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 11:47
A Malaysian airliner has been shot down over Ukraine, killing 295 people:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/17/us-ukraine-crash-airplane-idUSKBN0FM1TU20140717
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 390391392393394 446>