Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 393394395396397 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 14:49
Steven Wilson today announced his retirement from music...
Sorry! James Labrie can sing
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 15:22
Is it April 1st again already..?

Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 05:11
Hundreds of Ukrainian troops flee to Russia for sanctuary..

Ukarine troops deserting..

Edited by Blacksword - August 04 2014 at 05:12
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 08:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Hundreds of Ukrainian troops flee to Russia for sanctuary..

Ukarine troops deserting..

Maybe cause a Russian invasion is imminent and they are afraid...

The West needs to be careful when poking the Russian bear....ConfusedOuch
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 09:08
^^^ An invasion is highly unlikely in my opinion. Conflicts these days are fought via proxy not face to face. If the seperatists find themselves overwhelmed by Kiev, Putin will drop them like a hot turd.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 09:40
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ An invasion is highly unlikely in my opinion. Conflicts these days are fought via proxy not face to face. If the seperatists find themselves overwhelmed by Kiev, Putin will drop them like a hot turd.

I don't know about that....I don't think NATO will intervene for Ukraine...... I think it's who presses the trigger first...
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 04:19
Baroness Warsi resigns over Camerons lack of policy on Gaza

Edited by akamaisondufromage - August 05 2014 at 04:24
Help me I'm falling!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 06:10
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 07:02
A police force is occupying and harassing a city like a foreign army. I'm not sure interesting would be the word.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 07:59
They are also arresting reporters and people for horrible crimes like filming them. The cops, who look and act more like soldiers in war, continue to behave as if we lived in a literal police state. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 10:59
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

A police force is occupying and harassing a city like a foreign army. I'm not sure interesting would be the word.
OK, ... "outrageous" is the word.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 14 2014 at 15:39
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 12:45
Apparently, King Crimson has a new 12,000 CD Starless and Bible Black box set coming out soon. Will probably only cost approximately the GDP of a small third world country. Should be exciting.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 17:01
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Apparently, King Crimson has a new 12,000 CD Starless and Bible Black box set coming out soon. Will probably only cost approximately the GDP of a small third world country. Should be exciting.   

CoolCool

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 16:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 22:51
Didn't know there's a difference between an activist group and a protest group in the case of Ferguson, MO (at least that's how Yahoo!News put it).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 18 2014 at 22:53
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 11:05
I am once again torn in regards to what to believe in a shooting death. I can once again see both sides of the story being the truth.  I am naive enough to respect police officers and believe that they are doing their job for the general good of the public.  I tend to err on the side of the law and believe that the police officer did shoot Michael Brown in self-defense as he claims.  As more news comes out, that the man had a felony record; that he had just robbed a liquor/party store; that he had marijuana in his system (although story is that is supposed to make you more mellow instead of violent); it leads me to believe that the officer's side of the story is the truth.  That being said, I am also left to wonder if the officer overreacted and if he let his ego lead him to be a bully authority that caused the situation to escalate out of control the way that it did.  Was Michael Brown really charging him when he shot him, or was he just pissed off because Michael Brown had sassed him, disrespected him, and possibly punched him in the face before fleeing?  As the original news broke of the shooting, it didn't really make sense to me that a police officer would shoot and kill an unarmed man who offered to surrender.  As more items come to light, the officer's story does seem more credible to me, however, I suspect that he may have made some poor split second decisions during the altercation.  It seems as though a more nonlethal approach should have been taken.  A shot to the leg to the leg maybe?  I believe that officers are trained to shoot for the center area though as it would be a more stationary target than moving legs.  I will be curious to see how this unfolds.  It is a shame that two lives will be forever ruined as a result of the apparent bad decisions made by Michael Brown.  He certainly didn't deserve to die for the crimes that he allegedly committed but if he did attack the officer and was charging the officer than he certainly isn't blameless in his death.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 15:50
I still can't find an answer to whether a law enforcement officer can be arrested or even charged for shooting to kill an amped-up, though unarmed, teenager on duty in the state of Missouri. However, given what we know about the shooting, some punitive measures should be taken to bring down the madness out there. Police officers should never be exempt from any sort of punishment for senseless acts.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:01
If it was indeed a senseless act or somehow borne out of racism or just general ill-will from the officer, then I agree he should be punished and should certainly not be exempt from punishment. However, if there were justification for the shooting, and there may well have been, he should not be punished simply to "bring down the madness out there". We should never allow our justice system to become a means of placating people who choose to riot. The justice system has just as much duty to exonerate the officer if he did nothing wrong as it does to see him locked away if he did do something wrong. As a last comment, I think the use of the term "unarmed" may be inappropriate in this case. This dude was massive and IF he was charging at the police officer when the officer shot, this kid was using his body as a weapon (a potentially lethal one at that). Of course, that is only if he was charging the officer. If he was not, or in any other way assaulting the officer, then yes, he was unarmed.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:05

Apparently, Police in St Louis have shot another 23 yr old black guy.  He had a knife so obviously the only way out was to shoot him dead. 

Don't they just need to arrest the officer and then have an enquiry and then if there is evidence he goes to court.  Simples.

Edited by akamaisondufromage - August 19 2014 at 16:05
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:15
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Apparently, Police in St Louis have shot another 23 yr old black guy.  He had a knife so obviously the only way out was to shoot him dead.  

Don't they just need to arrest the officer and then have an enquiry and then if there is evidence he goes to court. Simples. 
That's something I was also curious about, something I see as a gap in the legal system. How do they decide on whether the officer should be charged or not given the circumstances you've described? Either way, the guy should have been at least charged, and he wasn't. There is such a thing as acquittal of charges that can be used later on.

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

If it was indeed a senseless act or somehow borne out of racism or just general ill-will from the officer, then I agree he should be punished and should certainly not be exempt from punishment. However, if there were justification for the shooting, and there may well have been, he should not be punished simply to "bring down the madness out there". We should never allow our justice system to become a means of placating people who choose to riot. The justice system has just as much duty to exonerate the officer if he did nothing wrong as it does to see him locked away if he did do something wrong.

As a last comment, I think the use of the term "unarmed" may be inappropriate in this case. This dude was massive and IF he was charging at the police officer when the officer shot, this kid was using his body as a weapon (a potentially lethal one at that). Of course, that is only if he was charging the officer. If he was not, or in any other way assaulting the officer, then yes, he was unarmed.
Ah ... false reasoning on my part. My bad. Embarrassed However, I won't leave without saying this: I'm surprised that guy Darren Wilson didn't come out and say anything in his own defense. Something doesn't smell right ... or is it just my oven?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 19 2014 at 16:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 393394395396397 446>