Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 394395396397398 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Apparently, Police in St Louis have shot another 23 yr old black guy.  He had a knife so obviously the only way out was to shoot him dead.  Don't they just need to arrest the officer and then have an enquiry and then if there is evidence he goes to court. Simples. 
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">That's something I was also curious about, something I see as a gap in the legal system. How do they decide on whether the officer should be charged or not given the circumstances you've described? Either way, the guy should have been at least charged, and he wasn't. There is such a thing as acquittal of charges that can </span>be used <span style="line-height: 1.2;">later on.</span>
[DIV

Usually the investigation goes first, then if there is enough evidence to pursue charges an arrest is made. Once you arrest someone, the Constitutional rights of the accused kick in (including the right to have their situation adjudicated swiftly). That's why unless the suspect poses a clear and present danger to society or unless the suspect was caught in the act committing a wrong (shooting someone by itself without more - especially in the case of the police - is not automatically considered a wrong). There are many circumstances under which the police may have no choice but to shoot someone (or very limited choices). To arrest them and then decide if there is any evidence they did something wrong, sort of violates the innocent until proven guilty thingy.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:29

Apparently, Police in St Louis have shot another 23 yr old black guy.  He had a knife so obviously the only way out was to shoot him dead.  

Don't they just need to arrest the officer and then have an enquiry and then if there is evidence he goes to court. Simples. 
That's something I was also curious about, something I see as a gap in the legal system. How do they decide on whether the officer should be charged or not given the circumstances you've described? Either way, the guy should have been at least charged, and he wasn't. There is such a thing as acquittal of charges that can be used later on.

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

If it was indeed a senseless act or somehow borne out of racism or just general ill-will from the officer, then I agree he should be punished and should certainly not be exempt from punishment. However, if there were justification for the shooting, and there may well have been, he should not be punished simply to "bring down the madness out there". We should never allow our justice system to become a means of placating people who choose to riot. The justice system has just as much duty to exonerate the officer if he did nothing wrong as it does to see him locked away if he did do something wrong.

As a last comment, I think the use of the term "unarmed" may be inappropriate in this case. This dude was massive and IF he was charging at the police officer when the officer shot, this kid was using his body as a weapon (a potentially lethal one at that). Of course, that is only if he was charging the officer. If he was not, or in any other way assaulting the officer, then yes, he was unarmed.
Ah ... false reasoning on my part. My bad. Embarrassed However, I won't leave without saying this: I'm surprised that guy Darren Wilson didn't come out and say anything in his own defense. Something doesn't smell right ... or is it just my oven?
It is a process.  The incident occurred while in the line of duty, which is why the officer has not been arrested at this point.  They are investigating the incident and if the prosecutor finds that there is enough evidence to go forward they will bring the evidence to a Grand Jury.  The Grand Jury will then decide whether or not the evidence is sufficient to proceed with charges.  At this point though, the process has not been completed. 

If Joe Public is arrested for murdering somebody he probably would be booked and thrown in prison and the rest of this process would be completed with him sitting in prison (or with a bond). 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:31
Also, I am sure that he has been advised by his attorney and/or union rep to not say anything publicly.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:31

Apparently, Police in St Louis have shot another 23 yr old black guy.  He had a knife so obviously the only way out was to shoot him dead.  Don't they just need to arrest the officer and then have an enquiry and then if there is evidence he goes to court. Simples. 
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">That's something I was also curious about, something I see as a gap in the legal system. How do they decide on whether the officer should be charged or not given the circumstances you've described? Either way, the guy should have been at least charged, and he wasn't. There is such a thing as acquittal of charges that can </span>be used <span style="line-height: 1.2;">later on.</span>
[DIV

Usually the investigation goes first, then if there is enough evidence to pursue charges an arrest is made. Once you arrest someone, the Constitutional rights of the accused kick in (including the right to have their situation adjudicated swiftly). That's why unless the suspect poses a clear and present danger to society or unless the suspect was caught in the act committing a wrong (shooting someone by itself without more - especially in the case of the police - is not automatically considered a wrong). There are many circumstances under which the police may have no choice but to shoot someone (or very limited choices). To arrest them and then decide if there is any evidence they did something wrong, sort of violates the innocent until proven guilty thingy.

Arresting someone doesn't presume any guilt on anyone's part.  And shooting someone 'in the line of duty' may not be automatically considered wrong but the guy wasn't armed (no matter how big he was) and he was shot 6 times! So I would think this would be enough to justify arrest. 
Help me I'm falling!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:38
I don't know. Someone that big charging at me, if I had the opportunity, I'd unload my gun into him. Whether he had a gun or not is irrelevant to self-defense. Number 1, that guy was big enough he could snap my neck easily. But risk of death is not required for self-defense. Only risk of serious bodily injury. If that guy was charging the officer, he posed a risk of at least serious bodily injury to the officer, which brought about the officer's right of self-defense. Here in the states, the method of defense used does not have to exactly be equal to the method the attacker is using. In fact, using your own body against the body of an attacker may be futile if the attacker is bigger than you are. Using a gun to defend yourself against a large attacker or someone armed with a knife is acceptable.

As for the six times, yes, that was overkill. But he probably panicked. In spite of the uniform, dude is still human and can suffer from fear and the overreaction that can cause. Does that mean he should go to prison? I don't think so.

Edited by The Doctor - August 19 2014 at 16:40
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:47

It would seem that in The States the only method of self defense is the gun.  So no matter how big the threat the only port of call is to shoot.  Not only that but the police don't appear to have to answer for their actions.
Help me I'm falling!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:50
Meanwhile, in Flint, Michigan, a city about an hour north of me, five black men were shot in separate instances over night. They were all shot by other black men.

No one was there to mourn. No one is there to protest. This type of thing happens every night in Flint and Detroit and Chicago and St. Louis.

And you wonder why cops may have to shoot someone? To paraphrase Michael Palin, "Come and see the violence inherent in the system and the culture".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:51
In a case like this, he would have to answer for his actions if he in fact did anything wrong. I personally don't think he should have to rot in jail while that determination is being made. If every time a police officer were put in jail during an investigation into whether or not the shooting was justified, you'd have an awful hard time attracting people into that field. "Gee if I exercise my right to self-defense, I'll end up in prison with people I've put away while they determine that I acted in self-defense. No thanks."

Now, if it is determined that he acted with malice or with wantonness in shooting this guy, and he is not punished, I'll be out there protesting too.

Edited by The Doctor - August 19 2014 at 16:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:51

I don't know. Someone that big charging at me, if I had the opportunity, I'd unload my gun into him. Whether he had a gun or not is irrelevant to self-defense. Number 1, that guy was big enough he could snap my neck easily. But risk of death is not required for self-defense. Only risk of serious bodily injury. If that guy was charging the officer, he posed a risk of at least serious bodily injury to the officer, which brought about the officer's right of self-defense. Here in the states, the method of defense used does not have to exactly be equal to the method the attacker is using. In fact, using your own body against the body of an attacker may be futile if the attacker is bigger than you are. Using a gun to defend yourself against a large attacker or someone armed with a knife is acceptable.

As for the six times, yes, that was overkill. But he probably panicked. In spite of the uniform, dude is still human and can suffer from fear and the overreaction that can cause. Does that mean he should go to prison? I don't think so.

No that doesn't mean he should go to prison.  However, it does mean there should be a thorough and open equiry.  This may be the case that he was attacked and fired and panicked but you can't expect people to just accept that as the truth.
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:54

In a case like this, he would have to answer for his actions if he in fact did anything wrong. I personally don't think he should have to rot in jail while that determination is being made. If every time a police officer were put in jail during an investigation into whether or not the shooting was justified, you'd have an awful hard time attracting people into that field. "Gee if I exercise my right to self-defense, I'll end up in prison with people I've put away while they determine that I acted in self-defense. No thanks."

Now, if it is determined that he acted with malice or with wantonness in shooting this guy, and he is not punished, I'll be out there protesting too.

Arresting someone doesn't mean you have to throuw them into prison.  They would probably go out on bail.
Help me I'm falling!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:55
Oh, I agree with that wholeheartedly, aka. There should most definitely be an open and thorough investigation. And if there isn't, people have the right to be completely po'ed. But the investigation is ongoing. We simply don't have all the facts yet and I think it premature to judge and convict him before all the facts are had.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 16:59
p...ed off.

As Rushfan indicated, as an officer in the line of duty, there is a presumption that the incident was justified. That presumption is not conclusive and will be modified after a thorough investigation, but it does mean that the officer is given the benefit of the doubt unless and until evidence shows there may have been wrongdoing. And I think this is the correct way to go about it.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 12:27
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:59
An unarmed 20-year old white man gets shot and killed by black police officer in Utah....and there are no riots and also no national news attention.  http://www.inquisitr.com/1430653/dillon-taylor-shooting-proof-ferguson-protesters-are-having-the-wrong-conversation/
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:03
Of course, the real conversation is that this is a police state (as in ruled-by-the-police) and that a large percentage of cops are psychopaths and power abusers, and that we are arming them like an army. 

Racism is real and I wouldn't play down its role in the Ferguson case, but this is for me the biggest problem in all these cases. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:42
Racism is real and there is certainly some institutional racism out there as well. And it MAY have played a role in the Ferguson case and if it did, that should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. However, not every negative interaction between white and black is a result of racism and it should not just be assumed before all the facts are gathered and examined. In fact, to assume that every white person who has a negative interaction with a black person is automatically racially motivated is racist in itself.   

This was a law enforcement officer having an interaction with what appears to be a law breaker. That doesn't negate the fact that the shooting may have been racially motivated, but there has to be an investigation before we string the guy up, draw and quarter him and feed his remains to the dogs.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:43
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

An unarmed 20-year old white man gets shot and killed by black police officer in Utah....and there are no riots and also no national news attention.  http://www.inquisitr.com/1430653/dillon-taylor-shooting-proof-ferguson-protesters-are-having-the-wrong-conversation/

Really? This author tries to demonize Michael Brown by drawing doubt to information completely immaterial to his shooting (full toxicology report), puts in writing his support for the unnecessary police militarization which has turned Ferguson into a war zone complete with the human rights violations, and uses another example of gross police misconduct (assuming it's true. I'll admit I didn't do any research into Taylor's shooting) to reduce the severity of what has occurred in Ferguson into a "black people are overreacting and everyone is too PC to call them out on it except for me!!!".

Okay.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 13:12
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Really? This author tries to demonize Michael Brown by drawing doubt to information completely immaterial to his shooting (full toxicology report), puts in writing his support for the unnecessary police militarization which has turned Ferguson into a war zone complete with the human rights violations, and uses another example of gross police misconduct (assuming it's true. I'll admit I didn't do any research into Taylor's shooting) to reduce the severity of what has occurred in Ferguson into a "black people are overreacting and everyone is too PC to call them out on it except for me!!!".

Okay.
I can't defend how the author wrote the article. I think that the gist of it though is where is all of the outrage for this case.  The protestors in Ferguson were holding signs and chanting that this wouldn't happen to a white man...well it did happen to a white man (allegedly). Why isn't national media covering this 24/7.  (These articles say the officer was black.  There were comments underneath the articles that said that he was actually of Pacific Island descent, so I am not sure of the legitimacy of the police officer's race.) 
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 13:16
Cops unjustifiably shoot people everyday. One of these cases turning into a media sensation is the exception not the norm. There's no reason to expect it to be a national story. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 13:52
No reason, yes. But the more of these cases that are exposed, the better. The psychopaths in the police force (nowadays a large percentage of it) need to be exposed and society made aware of what kind of low-level power abusers we are arming like Call of Duty soldiers. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 394395396397398 446>