Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 397398399400401 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 12:01
Mercury Prize Nominations

Anna CalviOne Breath

Bombay Bicycle Club – So Long, See you Tomorrow

Damon Albarn – Everyday Robots

East India Youth – Total Strife Forever

FKA TwigsLP1

GoGo PenguinV2.0

JungleJungle

Kate TempestEvery

Nick MulveyFirst Mind

Polar BearO

Royal BloodRoyal Blood

Young FathersDead

Help me I'm falling!
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 12:21
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

How do you get from a minor traffic rule violation to a seizure like that? What kind of hunches do the policemen use? Will they confiscate my $10 if I have it lying in a cellophane bag in my trunk?
There's tons of other "fun stuff" in this article ... or is this just Washington Post trying to mess with our heads?

Yeah, I read about this on RT a few years back. Some retailers are allegedly being urged to also report people who make large purchases with cash instead of debit or credit card.

I'm not sure what the real reasons are for the policy.

The supposed purpose of the policy is to combat high level drug trafficking in underfunded rural departments. In reality it's a way for police departments to make money at the expense of anyone driving into their jurisdiction.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 15:36
So if a person (who for whatever reason doesn't have a bank account) is on his way to the post office to buy a money order to pay their rent, they are subject to what essentially amounts to legalized armed robbery. Nice. So much for due process of law, both substantive and procedural.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 16:06
Some people still don't realize the US is the only real police state in the world.... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 16:09

There does seem to be a slight lack of accountability - (observing from the outside to state the bleeding obvious)
Help me I'm falling!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 16:11
Being a police officer in the US allows you to kill without punishment, steal without consequences, touch people without any shame, and retire with a pension without having done sh*t (or, actually, even having done a lot of bad sh*t). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 16:13

We have the South Yorks Police over here who are (or have been) famous for pretty much the same things.  (Give a man a uniform)

Help me I'm falling!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 07:25
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Being a police officer in the US allows you to kill without punishment, steal without consequences, touch people without any shame, and retire with a pension without having done sh*t (or, actually, even having done a lot of bad sh*t). 

If you check in with independent media you'll find horror stories every week of US police killing people, kicking family pets to death, SWAT raiding innocent peoples homes, sending armed response units into orgnanic farmers markets, arresting Amish at gunpoint for selling unpasteurised milk at the roadside, threatening children selling lemonade for charity.

It goes on. It's often caught on film too, and no one really gives a f***ing sh*t. They will if it happened to them of course, but until then, it's all lies and conspiracy theories. Oh well.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Archeus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 08:30
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/eu-gives-russia-sanctions-ultimatum-233250577.html

It appears that Putin doesn't really seem to give a damn about sanctions at all. He is ignoring UN and NATO. What is he trying to accomplish?

Could be he is a genuine megalomaniac,   no longer able to discern reality, and he only operates through the filter of his own perceived omnipotence.

The exact same thing could be said about the UN and NATO though Ermm

Edited by Archeus - September 11 2014 at 08:31
What about dogs? What about cats? What about chickens?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 13:37
Except that UN and NATO are organisations and Putin is a raving lunatic.
Help me I'm falling!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 01:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 04:21

Peter Gabriel named Prog God

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-09-11/prog-awards-2014-winners-in-full

Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 07:47
While all the winners of the awards are undoubtedly deserved, the categories themselves look like a collection of "Quick, before they die" awards.
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 08:57
Everyone knows the only prog god is Phil Collins.  This was rigged. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 09:06
If Gabriel is God then I'm Richard Dawkins.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 09:35
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

If Gabriel is God then I'm Richard Dawkins.

If Gabriel is Prog God then I'm a deist.

Edited by someone_else - September 12 2014 at 10:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 10:02
I think he's only God for a year and then obviously the title goes back to Phi Collins and he can bestow it on some other Prog Noble.

By the way is there a Prog or Music News thread as I wondered whether this belonged here before I posted?

Help me I'm falling!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 14:02

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I think Alex Salmond (leader of the SNP) would like nothing more than to jump into bed with Brussels. Which ironically is the mirror opposite of independence..

He has also said that he wants NATO membership, but doesn't want the UK's nuclear weapons on Scottish soil. I'm sorry, but the man is a tw*t.

If Scotland were to leave the UK, would England deport Tony Blair?

No we love him very much. When he dies he's going to be stuffed and mounted on a plinth in central Baghdad along with your former dear leader.
Apparently, Scotland is voting on a referendum to separate from the UK next week.  This CNN writer wrote an opinion piece that says that the US should petition to replace Scotland in the UK if Scotland does vote to leave the UK.  http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/opinion/wheeler-scotland-referendum/index.html?hpt=hp_c2 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 14:09

Edited by Padraic - September 12 2014 at 14:09
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 02:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 397398399400401 446>