Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 398399400401402 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 03:01
Oh, there's another fun one - Kanye makes an ass out himself.

Anyone else pays attention to Yahoo! News?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 03:31
^ both those were on FB days ago (yeah, that's my only source of news these days).

Of course the U2 give-away thing is a cynical move by Apple to get more people to sign-up to iTunes to get their bank details, this is directly related to Appal Pay which has the potential of netting Apple billions world-wide.

What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 10:44
http://empirenews.net/hollywood-shocker-gilligans-island-star-discovered-to-be-zodiac-killer/#.VBpXMYbckss.facebook

the professor was busy

evidently this is a spoof and not true

Edited by timothy leary - September 20 2014 at 10:53
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 20:19
For our Canadian members, my thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Brucex23 RGB_12

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 20:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Brucex23 RGB_12
Ditto! My sentiments goes to all the families too. Heart 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 15:33
Another school shooting. Only 2 dead though. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 15:49
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Brucex23 RGB_12
School shooting in Canada. The sickness is spreading.Unhappy
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 21:33
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Brucex23 RGB_12
Thank you-I live in Ottawa.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 21:58
We had a couple of shootings from the same suspects that started in Sacramento and ended in Auburn.  Four total shot, three deputies and one civilian.  Two of the deputies died from their injuries. 

EDIT: Man, what a crazy day.  Between the school shooting in Washington and then our shooting here in Northern California, it's been a stressful and sad day.  We were on the air for breaking news (I'm a newscast director at the local Fox station) starting at around 10:30am this morning and stayed on until 4:30pm, when we had to get off the air for the World Series.  And that didn't count our normally scheduled shows for today.  I'm relieved that it's over for now, but very tired. Ermm

Edited by MillsLayne - October 25 2014 at 04:21
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 18:59
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-29782073

Dilma Rousseff re-elected Brazilian president

Dilma Rousseff supporter with flag 26 Oct 2014President Rousseff's win extends the rule of the Workers Party
Continue reading the main story

Left-leaning Dilma Rousseff has been re-elected president of Brazil, after securing more than 51% of votes in a closely-fought election.

An official count showed her rival, centrist candidate Aecio Neves, taking just over 48% of the vote.

Ms Rousseff, in power since 2010, is popular with poor Brazilians because of her government's welfare policies.

Both candidates made economic growth and lifting Brazilians out of poverty central to their election campaigns.

With less than 2% of votes left to be counted, there are not enough votes to allow Mr Neves to catch up with Ms Rousseff.

Polarised campaign

Ms Rousseff's re-election for a second term extends the rule of her Workers Party (PT), which has been in power for 12 years.

"Thank you very much," Ms Rousseff tweeted after the results were announced.

The BBC's Wyre Davies in Rio de Janeiro says it was the tightest of contests, but in electing Dilma Rousseff, Brazilians had opted for continuity and backed a system and party that has brought economic growth and generous welfare programmes.

Supporters of Aecio Neves react to the resultsAecio Neves' supporters were despondent as their candidate accepted defeat

But, he continues, Brazil looks and feels divided - whereas Dilma Rousseff did well in the poorer northern states, her opponent took many of the wealthier and more developed southern parts of Brazil.

Aecio Neves, of the Brazilian Social Democracy Party (PSDB), was the governor of the southern swing-state of Minas Gerais for eight years.

Correspondents say wealthy Brazilians were more likely to back Mr Neves, who had vowed to put the economy back on track after four years of low growth rates with the country now technically in recession.

The election campaign has been marked by aggressive accusations on both sides, a rivalry that reached part of the electorate, with nasty disputes proliferating on social media, says the BBC's Julia Dias Carneiro in Rio de Janeiro.

The election comes after weeks of intensive campaigning by the two candidates and a presidential race that took a tragic turn after Eduardo Campos, a main opposition candidate, was killed in a plane crash in August.

His running mate, a renowned environmentalist, Marina Silva, was thrust into his place, vowing to become the South American country's first "poor, black" president.

But she came third in the first round after Ms Rousseff and Mr Neves secured 41.5% and 33.5% of the vote respectively.

As neither candidate got an absolute majority, the election went into a second round.

Edited by Atkingani - October 26 2014 at 19:00
Guigo

~~~~~~
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 19:03
Thumbs Up
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 21:35
Ferguson grand jury decided not to indict officer Wilson. How much backlash will there be?
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 22:08
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Left-leaning Dilma Rousseff 

"Catholicism-leaning Pope". 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 22:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Ferguson grand jury decided not to indict officer Wilson. How much backlash will there be?
Obviously they are doing the exact opposite thing they should be doing by looting their OWN community now. It still makes me sick another murderer got away without even a trial just because he was wearing a badge and the victim was black.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 22:47

Edited by jude111 - November 25 2014 at 16:50
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 22:58
^there's a lot of small businesses there too. I don't mind big corporations falling down in flame but they are not because of some looting. Only the small guys suffer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 23:19
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

It still makes me sick another murderer got away without even a trial just because he was wearing a badge and the victim was black.
. What would happen if we, instead of repeating ad nausea "white cop vs. unarmed black teenager", summarized the case without resorting to racial identifiers, e.g.

"A poorly trained and psychologically unfit for community policing cop vs. a petty criminal".

All of a sudden we'd be talking about some really disturbing problems.    

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 23:41
^ Exactly.

I don't know what actually happened there that day. I don't know if the officer was charged with anything. The witness reports differ a lot from each other. ... Eh.

Here's what I don't understand: why is it when something outrageous happens, people go out looting? What is the connection between a black dude getting shot and looting? How does the former justify the latter? "Hey, Earl, they decided not to indict Wilson. You know what that means, right? ... I'm gonna have to ... hit your store."

Wacko
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 05:53

Edited by jude111 - November 25 2014 at 16:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 06:58
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^there's a lot of small businesses there too. I don't mind big corporations falling down in flame but they are not because of some looting. Only the small guys suffer.
*VERY FEW* small businesses; mainly, just chain stores. As James Howard Kunstler puts it, chain stores cover over the fact that very few places in America have real local economies, while most of its people are on the dole. 

Frankly, it's immature to discuss which business may be liable to looting and which should be spared. If you dislike your intrusive "chain store", stop shopping there. If enough people do that, the "chain store" will either change for the better, or be driven out of business. Either way, done.

A "real local economy" isn't something that the Good Lord airdrops to certain communities, but not to others. It is something that local residents have to found, operate and develop. 

I live in a city of less than 30,000 people. Apart from countless small manufacturers and other local businesses, we have a good dozen large manufacturing plants and headquarters of three well-known corporations. 

While millions of US citizens are on the dole, there are tens of millions of vacancies that have to be filled by immigrants (both legal and illegal). Explain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 398399400401402 446>