Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 400401402403404 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 20:58
the Bay Area's about to be pounded by the biggest storm it's seen in six years
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 21:12
Yeah, wife had to fly out there last week, very happy it wasn't this week....hope everyone gets through OK!

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 21:21
Yeah, we are getting pelted here in Washington state.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 18:26

Hostage situation in Sydney.  Martin Place and looks like there is a Black 'Islamic State' Flag being displayed.  Hope everything has a peaceful outcome. 
Help me I'm falling!
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 19:06
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Hostage situation in Sydney.  Martin Place and looks like there is a Black 'Islamic State' Flag being displayed.  Hope everything has a peaceful outcome. 

I don't know how peaceful outcome is possible. These hostage-takers are not there to negotiate a $1M ransom in small unmarked bills and safe passage to Bekibekistan; neither are they human in the cultural sense. 
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 21:45
I don't post here usually but this has me more angry than I've been in a long time. No parent should bring a child into this world if they aren't prepared to love them unconditionally.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 01:40
^ As much as I hate the idea of suicide being illegal in this country (just my honest opinion), I really think that when it comes down to it, with great freedom comes great responsibility. An apology to closest friends won't cut it, or they aren't real friends. Besides, there are always alternatives; why go down to the bottom of the list?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 31 2014 at 01:41
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 01:48
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ As much as I hate the idea of suicide being illegal in this country (just my honest opinion), I really think that when it comes down to it, with great freedom comes great responsibility. An apology to closest friends won't cut it, or they aren't real friends. Besides, there are always alternatives; why go down to the bottom of the list?
this is a difficult and sensitive matter, because no matter how much you are hurt on the inside and suffer from a deep unhappy depression, there are those who will be left behind that care for you and this will cause them deep pain and suffering by the suicide act. Unhappy Sad, all this Cry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 02:07
^ That's my point.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 02:17

^ That's my point.
I got it, now UnhappyHug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 14:13
That may be true, but I think it's more important to focus not on her suicide, but what drove her there. And it's easy to see, at least from my point of view, that her parents were a massive contributing factor to her decline in mental health, cutting her off from the internet, stopping her from expressing her self, forcing her to be someone she wasn't. That should be the focus.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 19:49
^ "her parents were a massive contributing factor to her decline in mental health, cutting her off from the internet" - I don't see that in the article.

"I think it's more important to focus not on her suicide, but what drove her there. And it's easy to see, at least from my point of view, that her parents were ... stopping her from expressing her self, forcing her to be someone she wasn't. That should be the focus." - Well, s#$t happens. That's the universal dharma. I don't care how young you are, deal with it. All transgender people, no matter how young they are, should be able to deal with that. Still, killing yourself over that - that's one of the damndest things I've ever read.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 22:22
I'm not saying she could've acted more sensibly. What I am saying is it sounds like you're victim blaming.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 23:46

Well, s#$t happens.
sh*t happens like people who have complete control over you forcing to be someone that you most definitely aren't. I think you implying that she was weak is unnecessary and derogatory. Suicide has been a problem since people have existed. The treatment of transgender people is what makes this story unique and worth posting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 01:11
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

I'm not saying she could've acted more sensibly. What I am saying is it sounds like you're blaming the victim.

For the act itself (if "blaming" is the word you want to use), not for how her parents treated her. Not really blaming her, but the parents. Suicide is a choice, but you have to rationalize it.

Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Well, s#$t happens.
sh*t happens like people who have complete control over you ...
What?! No one ever has any complete control over you on any level. Maybe except for physical abuse, which is illegal, which is common sense.

I think you implying that she was weak is unnecessary and derogatory.
Suicide - unnecessary (again, given the circumstances), yes. Disrespectful, no. Disappointing, yes.

Suicide has been a problem since people have existed.
An effect can never be deemed problematic unless it's a cause for another problematic effect. In general, if you are not satisfied with the effect, then it's the cause that is the problem. In this case, the problem is poor parenting. That has been a problem since man came around.

The treatment of transgender people is what makes this story unique and worth posting.
By that logic, things like Flawless with Hoffman and DeNiro are unique, which makes the story less unique. No. What makes the story unique is things as silly as suicide over not fitting into the straight world, instead of making a life for yourself by yourself (or with the help of others).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 05 2015 at 01:25
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 01:54
I'm not prepared to comment on what trans people should feel or should do. With what they have to deal with internally and externally, they have my sympathy and I'll try to be understanding.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 20:51
We all know about the terrible events that unfolded in France, and enough time has now passed to get some true sense of what has happened: 4 people have been involved in some coherent fashion with the Charlie Hebdo shooting, the shooting of a random police officer, and 2 hostage situations including one at a Kosher Market. 3 of the terrorists killed, one still on the loose. 

Terrible events that have not only taken lives but are a pretty direct attack on Freedom of Speech and the Jewish community. 
I am just glad it's resolved, for now, and pray they capture the woman still on the run and it will be the end of this tragedy. 

I also hope politics don't take a wicked turn in France and Europe, I know this issue is a sensitive one plus poor economic conditions have already created much public unhappiness. That said, perhaps some things should be rationally discussed, like the Schengen Area. Perhaps even the EU and if its worth countries pursuing more independent economic policy, free from austerity which I am of the opinion harms the economy. Which of course creates anger amongst the people. 
See it here in the US, economic struggling really has taken a toll on the people and this anger/despair has allowed some shocking political ideologies to get mainstream. 

Edited by JJLehto - January 09 2015 at 21:14
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 06:25
^^^ Well I guess no country is completely immune from economic hardship, independent or otherwise, but you could argue it's all relative. The countries in the EU area doing the best are those that are not actually part of the union; Switzerland & Norway notably.

You don't hear much about that in British media, which are overtly pro-EU membership. The liberal media equates Euro-skepticism to racism, which is very misleading and wholly incorrect. It's just a shame that the skeptic side of the argument is put forward most strongly by a racist party in the UK.

Anyway, we are seeing a rise of the far right in various EU nations, Greece perhaps most notably. This always happens in times of economic hardship, as the unintelligent seek groups of people to blame. They're not bright enough to figure out how their government is shafting them all equally.

Anyway, what happened in France this week is appalling and tragic and I just hope people come together in defiance of Islamic extremism, including Muslims.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 16:29
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Anyway, we are seeing a rise of the far right in various EU nations, Greece perhaps most notably. This always happens in times of economic hardship, as the unintelligent seek groups of people to blame. They're not bright enough to figure out how their government is shafting them all equally.

Five days before the Greek election, it looks like SYRIZA, the Coalition of the Radical Left, will win and the new prime minister will be Alexis Tsipras – much to Merkel’s annoyance. According to the last polls the neo nazi party Golden Dawn will get 5.5%, down from 6.9 in the last election.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 06:22
So, around my neck of the woods there's been a terrorist attack against a free speech debate at a café and one against a synagogue. A person was killed in each's case. The synagogue is actually just next door to a public library that I went to in the afternoon before, so it's pretty damn scary.

I really hope this doesn't lead to some wannabe Anders Breivik type bombing a mosque as alleged retaliation...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 400401402403404 446>