Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 401402403404405 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 07:03
This time, there's only one victim, but I fear that some fanatics and/or lunatics want to copycat the Charlie Hebdo massacres in their own countries.
In France, there had been some agressions against muslim people or various acts of vandalism against mosquees (such as pig heads stuck on doors of said mosquees) after the Charlie Hebdo shootings, and I fear that the whole European continent is on the verge of a pre-civil war turmoil... Unhappy
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 07:27
I'm under the impression that back during the 1970s, when various paramilitary groups affliated with Palestinian nationalism targeted Israelis and Jewish people in general a lot of stuff like this actually went down on a regular basis even being supported or carried out by gov't intelligence agencies, but we didn't hear about it that often because society wasn't quite as media-saturated back then.

The best example would probably be the Munich Olympics massace in 1972, and the Mossad retaliatory assassinations following, but a book that came out about the history of Danish military intelligence goes into detail about more examples happening in my country - like one incident when the military intelligence actually outsourced activities to far-right vigilante groups. In case you're curious its title is something like The War of the Spies by Hans Davidsen-Nielsen, no idea if it's been translated into other languages-

Truth is stranger than fiction...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:40
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

So, around my neck of the woods there's been a terrorist attack against a free speech debate at a café and one against a synagogue. A person was killed in each's case. The synagogue is actually just next door to a public library that I went to in the afternoon before, so it's pretty damn scary.

I really hope this doesn't lead to some wannabe Anders Breivik type bombing a mosque as alleged retaliation...

From what I understand, Breivik didn't really retaliate against the perceived enemy. Instead, he murdered 70 or 80 of the very people he claimed he was "trying to protect against Cultural Marxism and Islamic takeover".  
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 08:51
Slavoj Zizek had a pretty interesting analysis of Breivik's proclaimed ideological worldview. The relevant quote:

Originally posted by Slavoj Zizek Slavoj Zizek wrote:

But what if we are entering an era where this new reasoning will impose itself? What if Europe should accept the paradox that its democratic openness is based on exclusion – that there is "no freedom for the enemies of freedom", as Robespierre put it long ago? In principle, this is, of course, true, but it is here that one has to be very specific. In a way, there was a vile logic to Breivik's choice of target: he didn't attack foreigners but those within his own community who were too tolerant towards intruding foreigners. The problem is not foreigners, it is our own (European) identity.

Although the ongoing crisis of the European Union appears as a crisis of economy and finances, it is in its fundamental dimension an ideologico-political crisis: the failure of referendums about the EU constitution a couple of years ago gave a clear signal that voters perceived the EU as a "technocratic" economic union, lacking any vision which could mobilise people – until the recent protests, the only ideology able to mobilise people was the anti-immigrant defence of Europe.

I'm not sure his two cents about the Charlie Hebdo attack have been posted here yet, so I'll link to the relevant article which follows a similar angle.

While I don't always agree with that many of Zizek's conclusions, as extreme as they might appear he usually brings an insightful perspective on things as he thinks more thoroughly about the fundamental issues at stake and from more interesting angles than most commentators. Not to mention that he's extremely entertaining to write.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - February 15 2015 at 09:12
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 07:15
First my country gets hit by not one but two Islamic extremist terror attacks, and now Russia threatens us with nuclear holocaust. This decade really feels like the 1980s all over again, if the economy being as terrible as back then wasn't enough...

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 07:41

First my country gets hit by not one but two Islamic extremist terror attacks, and now Russia threatens us with nuclear holocaust. This decade really feels like the 1980s all over again, if the economy being as terrible as back then wasn't enough...

Paranoid totalitarian leaders. We have Putin, another one in North Korea, and of course a rat's nest of paranoid religious extremists in the Middle East. I feel sorry for my kids having to live through this escalating nightmare, but I have unfortunately given up on the idea that everyone will get along.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 07:52
I dunno, now I feel like I finally know how my parents must have felt during the Cold War they lived through. (both were rather active pacifist activists in the 1970s)
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 09:52
^ Hm. Well, Putin is an idiot, and a nuclear holocaust is a plan that is too ambitious for him to live up to. Can you imagine how the rest of the world would respond if he actually did it? I don't know why not just ignore him.

I say call his bluff.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 22 2015 at 10:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 04:39
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Can you imagine how the rest of the world would respond if he actually did it? I don't know why not just ignore him.

Yes. That Voivod song I posted.

After the Ukrainian civil war going down, not to mention Russian bomber aircraft going near Britain recently, I could actually believe Vovochka would do something like that. The real question is whether it's him or the Islamic State who'll start the next world war first... unless EU or NATO do it as "pre-emptive action".

Edited by Toaster Mantis - March 23 2015 at 05:23
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:28
I doubt there'll be another world war, and even if there is it won't be referred to as a 'world war' by our leaders and our media..

It'll be a "Multiple theatre kinetic engagement initiative" or some such sh*t.

I think Henry Kissenger (?) once said that it used to be easier to control a million people than to kill them, but now it's easier just to kill them than to control them.

Or was it the other way round...

Whatever the world has gone bonkers, and we're heading for something, although I suspect it'll just be more economic shocks and increased terror attacks.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 11:33
Don't forget the natural disasters resulting from runaway pollution.

Voivod were right!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 11:56
The greatest danger of all is the current social, economic , spiritual and political apathy, a dangerous precursor to human stupidity, aka war. At least during the Cold War, the 'game' was played by sides that fully understood the consequences (from MAD to perestroika) and played chicken with each other. ISIS is bad news, North Korea is very bad news, Putin's soviet megalomania and bullying are front and center. No one cares enough to see the danger of doing nothing, not even voicing their fears openly. Apathy......

Remind us all of KC's Epitaph, "and I fear tomorrow, I'll be crying".  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 12:26
Everyone should take a look at the google doodle today. Unfortunate case of a genius who was continually overlooked due to her gender.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 13:00
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I doubt there'll be another world war, and even if there is it won't be referred to as a 'world war' by our leaders and our media..

I think Henry Kissenger (?) once said that it used to be easier to control a million people than to kill them, but now it's easier just to kill them than to control them.

Whatever the world has gone bonkers, and we're heading for something, although I suspect it'll just be more economic shocks and increased terror attacks.

I doubt leaders were the ones referring to them as World Wars, anyway. Possibly after the fact, after historians and journalists broke the terms in. Maybe even Churchill did, but I don't know. It's certain the U.S. wouldn't, PR wizards that we are. We don't have a Department of "War" anymore, after all, even if "defense" is certainly not what Iraq was about.

What I imagine will happen is minor terror attacks on the daily around the world, punctuated by larger ones every year or 6 months (Boko Haram, Yemen), punctuated further by huge ones every decade or so (9/11). Then long, drawn-out, misguided conflicts (Afghanistan, Iraq, Iraq Part II: The Islamic State Strikes back). Until eventually Iran or some other rogue nation or group gets the bomb. And they wouldn't even have to use it, mind you. They probably wouldn't even have to build it. Find some schematics on an Iranian server somewhere (Stuxnet) watch a jittery Israel lob some missiles somewhere and the middle east goes wild(er).

I just somehow doubt Russia will enter into it much. It's really just a sad, opportunistic, former power, grabbing inconsequential land to the rest of the world--sorry to say, Ukraine--and flexing its muscles.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 13:19
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Everyone should take a look at the google doodle today. Unfortunate case of a genius who was continually overlooked due to her gender.

It just shows the same page as usual for me, but that's because I've got it to reset to the Danish version. Is it Ada Lovelace the international version shows?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 13:25

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

It just shows the same page as usual for me, but that's because I've got it to reset to the Danish version. Is it Ada Lovelace the international version shows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 14:11
Thanks. Never heard of her.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 14:27
I am, like a lot of people, concerned about the future of the world in regard to nuclear weapons.
There are nine countries with nuclear weapons programs and many more with nuclear power
systems that could be converted to weapons systems.
Russia has the largest arsenal (several thousand warheads) with the US being a close second.
The remaining countries have a few hundred or less but it really only takes one launch to blow
the lid off everything.
Add to this the fact that nuclear waste has a shelf life of forever and can be used to make a dirty
bomb. While these are not as powerful as a conventional warhead they could wipe out an entire
city when you consider the initial explosion and the radioactive aftermath. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 02:06
You must have heard of this one. It's the second day this is happening. If this is for Freddie Gray, then what the hell did these protesters need the liquor for? To relieve anxiety?

It goes without saying that the whole thing just looks so freaking stupid. If this is their idea of fighting back, ... Confused Wacko ... they should realize at some point that nothing good will come out of it.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 06:33
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I doubt leaders were the ones referring to them as World Wars, anyway. Possibly after the fact, after historians and journalists broke the terms in. Maybe even Churchill did, but I don't know. It's certain the U.S. wouldn't, PR wizards that we are. We don't have a Department of "War" anymore, after all, even if "defense" is certainly not what Iraq was about.

What I imagine will happen is minor terror attacks on the daily around the world, punctuated by larger ones every year or 6 months (Boko Haram, Yemen), punctuated further by huge ones every decade or so (9/11). Then long, drawn-out, misguided conflicts (Afghanistan, Iraq, Iraq Part II: The Islamic State Strikes back). Until eventually Iran or some other rogue nation or group gets the bomb. And they wouldn't even have to use it, mind you. They probably wouldn't even have to build it. Find some schematics on an Iranian server somewhere (Stuxnet) watch a jittery Israel lob some missiles somewhere and the middle east goes wild(er).

I just somehow doubt Russia will enter into it much. It's really just a sad, opportunistic, former power, grabbing inconsequential land to the rest of the world--sorry to say, Ukraine--and flexing its muscles.

I agree with much of that, but I wouldn't say Ukaraine is an inconsequential piece of land. It may be if you live in the US, but it's on Europes doorstep and we don't want Russia playing their games in our backyard, and by the same token we don't want NATO poking them with their missile defence shields, and gathering military hardware in east EU states.

Russia may not be the roaring bear it once was, but that is part of the problem. They still have in excess of 20,000 nuclear warheads and have been investing ever more of their dwindling finances in upgrading their conventional forces. Add to that the fact that Putin is clearly insane and longs for the old days and presides over a Russia who's relations with the west are at an all time low since the "end" of the cold war, and you do have a potential recipe for disaster.

Ukraine are not lillywhite either. Kiev is currently quite happy to allow neo Nazi groups to expand and grow in power and influence while fighting the mutal enemy; the pro Russian seperatists. All it would take for Russian forces to cross that border en-masse is for some 'event' resulting in mass casualties among the rebels giving them the justification to intervene. Obama may not have the belly for this kind of thing, but if Putin sniffs his fear then the Kremlin may well have the belly for it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 401402403404405 446>