Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 435436437438439 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 04:37
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

The Oregon situation is just the type of confrontation which led to the Oklahoma Federal Building bombing. Of course I agree the situation in the middle east always has the potential to lead to a global confrontation. I think the Oregon situation will be defused when these occupiers realize their call to arms is not producing the results they want.

Indeed, they won't get what they want under any circumstances. This will end with a standown when they get bored or the authorities cut the power to the building and prevent supplies from entering, or it will end with the police storming the building and arresting most of them and shooting a few of them. It won't end in the sacred civil war for freedom some of them seem to want.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 08:57
Before there was ranchers and miners and loggers Malheur was a refuge for migratory birds. If the government does not protect it who will. Not the guys who are occupying it now. They would drain the wetlands and run cattle on it.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 22:40
Here's something along non-political lines, so let's take a little breather: "British health officials say drinking any alcohol regularly increases the risk of cancer." (I don't know if this was known for a long time, but they surely treat it as news.)

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 08 2016 at 22:43
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 23:06
^ Further, we've also known for a long time that moderate daily alcohol consumption may not only improve cholesterol levels but also reduce risk of getting colds and flu, the latter I can attest to.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 23:57
In the UK we are getting bored of all the government 'advice' about what's good and bad for you. I don't know anyone who pays any attention to any of it. It changes every couple of years anyway.

Newsflash: You're going to die regardless of whether or not you drink, and there's no guarantee you'll live longer if you don't..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2016 at 01:50
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Here's something along non-political lines, so let's take a little breather: "British health officials say drinking any alcohol regularly increases the risk of cancer." (I don't know if this was known for a long time, but they surely treat it as news.)

One of my best buddies' grandad (a Scot) was drinking a solid triple dram of single malt everyday after lunch every day and he died at 103 (and I'm sure it's because he forgot to have his triple dram the day before TongueLOL)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 16:41
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Further, we've also known for a long time that moderate daily alcohol consumption may not only improve cholesterol levels but also reduce risk of getting colds and flu, the latter I can attest to.

field grunts know all the therapeutic value of alcohol...

doctor Micky tip..

best cure for a pulled muscle in your back! Field tested and approved Thumbs Up

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 16:48
I saw this yesterday and lead to .. what.. maybe 2 hours of reading through articles in the CNN Money section. Which NEVER happens haha.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/investing/markets-sell-everything-cataclysmic-year-rbs/index.html

are we heading toward total meltdown in 2016?  I really had no idea just how bad things were getting in China. For me ignorance is bliss when it comes to finances. Raff gets my paychecks and handles everything. I am a disaster at financial managment.

I tried the coke and hookers investment method once and while it made me happy, it sure did nothing to make me wealthier.

Edited by micky - January 13 2016 at 16:49
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 18:37
Well total meltdown can be an okay thing if one is looking to buy a house or invest in something that's cost will drop.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 20:17
Congrats to Angelique Kerber for winning the Australian Open against Serena Williams. You played a great match! And Serena, you are an absolute sportswoman and gracious in defeat.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 30 2016 at 20:18

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 21:04
Will there be a national holiday on Monday in Germany? Wink  Just jk.  Well played Angie.  Serena's a great champion but it's always refreshing to see a different slam winner on the WTA.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 16:41
Antonin Scalia dead at 79.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Antonin Scalia dead at 79.

I enjoyed this article about him.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 11:49
^ link does not work
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:17
^ good to go now

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 18:38
That is an interesting article.  I would really like to hear the liberal counterpoint to that.  Because as a chartered accountant who deals with tax law, I don't find anything wrong with going strictly by the law and the notion that THAT's conservative/Republican is strange.  I would say he was simply doing his job as a judge.  It's not for the courts to legislate, it's for governments.  That governments are too populist to take tough decisions cannot be the judiciary's problem; they should remain objective.  I know here in India too the courts have way overstepped their boundaries in the name of activism but it ultimately only leads to problems (they are using the same activism to block reforms to the process of appointment of judges even when the Constitution gives the govt powers to decide the same). Or take their bizarre ruling blocking new registrations of large diesel SUVs in Delhi; they cannot legislate in this way but they have taken it over egged on by the enthusiastic public that sees them as more trustworthy than the govts. 

So what were some instances of Scalia's conservative leanings leading him to judgments that ignored the word of law in order to uphold his ideology?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 18:44
Both the conservative and liberal judges rule according to the law when it comes to gray area cases...they just choose to rule by the law that is most convenient to uphold their ideological views.  Just like good Muslims and terrorist Muslims interpreting the Koran to push their ideological views or good Christians and conservative Republicans interpreting the bible to push their ideological views. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 19:47
^ bingo Scott. IMO Law really is little different than life. There very little black and white.. especially concerning anything getting all the way to the Supreme Court. Only many shades of grey and one's interpretation of it is obviously influenced by ones ideology.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 20:13
^ The big problem there is language.   There should little to no room for interpretation of a written law; it should be crystal clear regardless of any ideology.   Even legalese itself is open to interpretation which is exactly what it isn't supposed to be.   But as you point out, law reflects life, and so do words.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 435436437438439 446>