Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 438439440441442 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 16:22
Originally posted by Matthew _Gill Matthew _Gill wrote:

You can't aim Female Genital Mutilation, Bacha Bazi, Tatbir, ritual slaughter. persecution of homosexuals, child grooming gangs, taxi rape epidemic, stoning of women/kids who are raped outside marriage, child brides, women being covered by the Burka, honour killings, women being refused education/driving rights, Shia/Sunni Muslim persecution, revenge acid attacks, forced/arranged marriage, hatred of Jews/Kurds/pigs/dogs/gambling/alcohol/public affection etc etc, wife beatings, polygamy, Apostasy punishments and revenge attacks on those who insult the prophet Muhammad on the West!

I agree, and the "It's our fault" philosophy gets weaker every day (not that it was strong to begin with).  Further, even if the West had never gotten involved in the Middle East, extremists would probably still be planning attacks based on religion.  We are all infidels, after all.

My very best to the people of Brussels, and to our own here at PA.   Don't give in, live your lives, and show them what you're made of.

Edited by Atavachron - March 22 2016 at 16:24
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Matthew _Gill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew _Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 17:02
The left claim extremism is a recent phenomena but Jihadist attacks are notably on the up because A. there are more Islamists living in Europe and B. propaganda is more easily accessed thanks to the internet being more readily available.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 19:28
maybe it is due to the west's systematic subversion of local governments, including CIA led coups that have toppled democratically elected officials, creating power vacuums, communities rife with segregation and horrible economic states such as massive unemployment, the fact these poor, desperate people are preyed on by people like rich Saudis who export Wahhabism, and the fact that climate change has cause disproportionate suffering in the area by inducing drought. I dunno though I just read the news.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 21:27
^ Yeah maybe, but as I alluded to, that assumes they would not be attacking if we had never subverted, toppled, vacuumed or segregated them.   But that may not be true.

As far as the drought thing, yes I believe life in the desert is no picnic and does contribute to problems.   In the words of a great fictional president on why the Middle East is so unstable; "It's very hot and there's no water" .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 22:44
@Atavachron: Who's this fictional president?

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 23:20
About radical Islam, back in the 18th century, when Ahmad Shah Abdali was going to war with the Marathas, he invoked jihad to compel the Maratha ally Sujad Ad Daula to fight for him. So invoking jihad for dubious and dangerous purposes is as old as Islam itself. In the long run, Islam must be reformed and Muslims must disown its radical strains. In the short run, IS must be crushed. A few strikes on Saudi wouldn't hurt...seriously. This is war and as undesirable as war is, pretending that it's not a war and just a bunch of fundamentalist loonies will not help matters at all. The present situation could have been avoided had US establishment not believed that ISIS is just Al Qaeda Junior and nothing to worry about. They should have been crushed when they tried to establish their caliphate in Iraq. But US was so busy squabbling with Russia over Assad that they lost sight of the bigger enemy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 23:25
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

@Atavachron: Who's this fictional president?

Martin Sheen in West Wing .

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 23:33

The left claim extremism is a recent phenomena but Jihadist attacks are notably on the up because A. there are more Islamists living in Europe and B. propaganda is more easily accessed thanks to the internet being more readily available.
There's another reason. With the oil slump, Saudi is in trouble. Hence they may likely be running out of funding for IS. So IS is using desperate tactics to attract recruits and targeting major European cities is an effective way to advertise their 'importance'.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 00:35
@Atavachron: never watched  that. Cheers.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 04:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

There's another reason. With the oil slump, Saudi is in trouble. Hence they may likely be running out of funding for IS. So IS is using desperate tactics to attract recruits and targeting major European cities is an effective way to advertise their 'importance'.

Maybe, although as a terrorist organisation attacking enemy targets in the way they do doesn't really equate to 'desperate' tactics. It's simply what they do.

With regard to Saudi, I agree they fund ISIS although officially private interests fund them, not the government or royal family through oil revenues, but if oil slumps too far that will obviously impact on all economic interests there, and as Saudi's biggest oil customers the US and EU are indirectly funding the terrorists attacking them. A f***ed up world, I would say.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 04:58
^^ Sure it's what a terrorist organization does but they had to sort skip steps because they first wanted to target infidels in their own religion (ie Shias and non hardline Sunnis). But the timing of the oil slump and IS getting more aggressive and taking on Europe is too much of a coincidence.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 08:06
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 10:05
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I found this an interesting read...

That was an interesting read. 
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 10:09

I’ve just read that article and I have problems regarding it on several levels, even if it is (or perhaps, because?) it’s penned by Robert F. Kennedy Jr. I have a great respect for several members of the Kennedy family, but let’s not forget: they are politicians, and therefore, by my (admittedly) own definition, highly untrustworthy.

I don’t doubt that the CIA and the US have been playing a nasty role in the Middle Eastern area for a very long time, but then my doubts about the validity of the article begin.

First, I doubt it’s possible that the power of the CIA is so all-encompassing as to be able to incite coups and rebellions in the area by the dozens at just the mere snap of the fingers, as the article seems to suggest. I mean, what almighty and omniscient power do they hold over an area that is unbelievably rich in its own right anyway? Let's not forget that during the 50's, 60's, and 70's, the timeframe of the article's main viewpoint, they were already immensely prosperous.

Secondly, I fail to follow the logic. If the CIA had to stage those myriad coups to make the area outwardly US friendly and thereby securing the US as fuel trade partners, then surely they can’t have been US friendly to begin with. Yet, if that then is the natural attitude towards the US in the Middle East, how can the author say that US hostility was caused by CIA meddling? By his own account, it was like that anyway. It’s false logic. Or does he mean they became even more anti-American?

Third, and most importantly: where is the evidence? Where is the proof, where are the sources and the reliable witnesses to these statements? Paid off? Assassinated? Executed? Living in witness protection somewhere? It’s all allegations.

I know that immoral and despicable measures were taken by the CIA to ensure that the US would be supplied with oil, and if the author had made that point, I could have overlooked my other doubts, but as he uses his false logic to put the blame for the Middle East’s current attitude solely and squarely at the CIA’s door, that is just plain wrong, which he unwittingly goes on to prove in his own article, starting pretty much at the very beginning of it.

I think I see what the author is trying to do here: make the reader see another angle or shake false impressions conveyed by the US media, which is very admirable, but at the same time he seems to overstep the mark, thereby placing his efforts in a highly dubious light.

It's a shame. The article could have been insightful.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 11:08
Many of the points made in that article are very valid and what many of us outside USA have also felt for a long time (so to that extent, it wasn't a surprise).  But I see it all as a fuel for the fire rather than the inception of the fire itself.  US did not create radical Islam; it did, willingly or unwillingly, abet its rise over the years.  The idea of arming fundamentalist enemies of Russia to defeat communism has been increasingly shown to be a bad one.  
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 16:13
In lighter news, life imitates art down under.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 19:47
Gary Shandling died today.   Best to his family and friends.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 19:29
awesome... I am all about fashion. Men's and especially women's...

let's see what you have there....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 19:30
thumbs down on that man....Thumbs Down
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 19:33
Originally posted by BlueScar BlueScar wrote:

Found here some news about fashion trends for men in 2016 Approve Interesting hairstyles, look beautiful but I'm a bit cinfused about the name of this style Geek
Hey, you're spam, aren't you? I looked at your first six posts (and I suggest some admins do so as well), and 3 of them either refer to Ariana Grande or have links to sites which advertise her swill. 

You too have funny way of sentence structure what don't seem like you from Washington, DC, eh? 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 438439440441442 446>