Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 441442443444445 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 07:58
I don't know the full history but how/why would he let this go in the first place.......Confused MJ made nice profits on the two sales, even though he needed it to pay off debt, still he was the smart one in this whole deal seems.....As Sony/ATV looks to have thrown away $750MM if the rights go back anyway...

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 10:44
I'm very sorry to hear of the Westminster Bridge massacre yesterday. This is an area of London that I visited with my children and late wife as both tourists and citizens. I feel deeply for those who were injured and killed in yet another senseless act of violence.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 15:06
Today is the 59th anniversary of the first flight of the Avro Arrow. A Canadian jet interceptor that was cancelled back in 1958 for a number of dubious reasons. It had the potential to surpass anything anybody had flying on the planet including the United States and Soviet Union. Today Canda's air force is nothing but a farce flying a handful of outdated American F-18s. Canada : The true north not strong and free. Embarrassed.

Edited by Kepler62 - March 25 2017 at 15:09
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 12:58
The US was hit by its second category 4 hurricane of the year yesterday.  Two weeks after Hurricane Harvey dumped up to 50 inches of rain on the Houston area, Hurricane Irma paid Florida a visit.  Here's hoping that all of our PA friends from the effected areas came through unscathed.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 13:02
Unscathed, one full day with no power, which is really good luck. A couple of trees down but nothing more. If the hurricane had gone through south east FL as it was originally expected it would've been cataclysmic 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 14:27
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Unscathed, one full day with no power, which is really good luck. A couple of trees down but nothing more. If the hurricane had gone through south east FL as it was originally expected it would've been cataclysmic 

Really glad you are safe. The power of nature, eh?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 19:39
Thanks. A power that should humble man.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 20:21
Teo, I'm glad to see that you are OK.  My parents are still without power but otherwise they made it through unscathed too.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 20:22
Right now they're saying almost a quarter of homes in the Keys are destroyed.   Incredible.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 06:17
It was even more devastating on several Caribbean islands, particularly Barbuda and St. Martin. I'm sure Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Turks and Caicos Islands, and the Bahamas also had a lot of damage.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 07:34
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Teo, I'm glad to see that you are OK.  My parents are still without power but otherwise they made it through unscathed too.
Thanks. Great that your parents are OK. Mine continue to be without power. But FPL has been doing a great job in putting the state back on a full grid.  
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 11:08
Absolutely wonderful story on the BBC news website reporting that an Irish champion greyhound (as in doggy racing) has tested positive for cocaine.

The mind boggles....some people will do anything for money

Edited by lazland - September 14 2017 at 11:09
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 10:26
All hail the Second Amendment of the US Constitution! 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 13:56
Yes, a man with 10 automatic weapons stood on his 32nd story hotel balcony and fired into a crowd of 22,000 people. Last I saw 58 dead with 515 injured. 

White guy (and thank god, if this was a muslim we'd already have a "Make America a Police State and Kill all Muslims on sight" bill passed and signed) and too early to tell what possible motivation there was. 
Not much detail at all, that all will come with time. 
All I know is IF it turns out he had some red flags....then there is NO excuse anymore for us to reject universal, strict loophole free background checks, and the willingess to deny certain people. 

Though even if he's 100% spotless and this was a total out of the blue incident, we still should probably have a discussion as a nation if anyone needs 10 automatic weapons. 
Which is unlikely. The NRA is a very powerful lobby...and if anyone objects to it being so simple, just look up NRA contributions. Here let's make it easy...here is a state by state list of politicians they have given $ to since 1998 http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/nra-donations/
Look at the letter next to the vast majority of names...says all we need right there. And I mean, sensible gun laws are actually very popular, but there's a disconnect between people and the politicians. Again, the $ says all you need. 

Edited by JJLehto - October 02 2017 at 21:43
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 17:30
Having lived only in countries with extremely strict gun control, I personally don’t know anyone who owns a gun, nor have I ever seen one outside a museum or an exhibition in my entire life. Any mass shootings have been very rare and have occurred many years apart.

My view is: if you have next to no gun control, this is what you have to expect, so quit whining when stuff happens.

And don’t give me this bullsh*t about guns not killing people.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 22:27
The funny thing is while I, like many Americans, see the need for sensible gun laws I have always been fairly neutral on this issue, even believing as long as you pass stringent criminal and health screenings then sure why not have your damn assault rifle (though personally I see no reason why anyone needs an automatic weapon, see no appeal in guns, and am a little sketched out by people who have this rager for them). Though as mass shootings have increased and the prevalence of automatic weapons used with em, I am now starting to reconsider. 

These mass shootings are always either a case of mental illness, or terrorism of whatever variety. The latter, not sure off hand what can be done, but for the former again stringent screenings are needed and a better mental health system in general. 
Then there are all the other gun crimes, the bunch that happen every day and gets little attention outside local news. I think this is mostly socioeconomic and needs to be tackled a whole different way, and gun laws may not be super helpful there. But thats all for another time. Yeah it's ridiculous here. The majority of sensible people are basically held hostage by a very very loud, ideological minority. 
At the very least there is evidence to suggest gun control would reduce suicide, of which 40,000 a year currently happen, and there may be evidence suggesting less guns does lead to some decline in crime rate. I think it's something we should at least look into, but oops we can't...I found out today apparently there is a ban on federal funding into gun research in the US. No joke, was passed by Congress in 1996 spurred on by ya guessed it, the NRA. Apparently even though it's still possible to do, and Obama actually asked people to research it, the lack of funding and fear of immense social backlash has paralyzed researchers. 
Sheeeeeeeesh if these people are so sure guns dont cause crime, and more guns would actually make us safer why are they scared to even have us look into the issue? hmmmmm
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 06:10
The Second Ammendment may have been appropriate in the violent beginnings of the USA, in the days of muskets, tricorn hats and going into battle on horseback, but it actually doesn't stand up now. At it's heart is the citizens right to form militia's to defend itself against tyrannical governance. What's not understood is that if a tyrannical government seriously wanted to 'enslave' citizens, they would simply carpet bomb them from the air, and a basement full of semi auto's is not going to stop that.

Unless the ammendment is ammended to allow for citizerns to have tactical nuclear weapons on their front lawns, it's not worth paper it's written on, and is really just an excuse for the arms industry to profit from mass murder.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 06:50
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The Second Ammendment may have been appropriate in the violent beginnings of the USA, in the days of muskets, tricorn hats and going into battle on horseback, but it actually doesn't stand up now. At it's heart is the citizens right to form militia's to defend itself against tyrannical governance. What's not understood is that if a tyrannical government seriously wanted to 'enslave' citizens, they would simply carpet bomb them from the air, and a basement full of semi auto's is not going to stop that.

Unless the ammendment is ammended to allow for citizerns to have tactical nuclear weapons on their front lawns, it's not worth paper it's written on, and is really just an excuse for the arms industry to profit from mass murder.
I guess they just want the right to shoot any Censored who burgles their house or generally upsets them in some way. Whatever it is they don't seem likely to give up the right any time soon, no matter how many times this sort of thing happens
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 06:52
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yes, a man with 10 automatic weapons stood on his 32nd story hotel balcony and fired into a crowd of 22,000 people. Last I saw 58 dead with 515 injured. 

How the hell did he get into a hotel in Vegas with 10 automatic weapons?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 06:56
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I guess they just want the right to shoot any Censored who burgles their house or generally upsets them in some way. Whatever it is they don't seem likely to give up the right any time soon, no matter how many times this sort of thing happens

As an American colleague once said to me when I asked him why you 'need' guns. He said it asn't about need it was about ones 'goddamn right!'
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 441442443444445 446>