Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 442443444445446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 07:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yes, a man with 10 automatic weapons stood on his 32nd story hotel balcony and fired into a crowd of 22,000 people. Last I saw 58 dead with 515 injured. 

How the hell did he get into a hotel in Vegas with 10 automatic weapons?

As if it makes any difference - it seems there were at least 20 (twenty) rifles and hundreds of rounds of ammunition...
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:32

Yes, a man with 10 automatic weapons stood on his 32nd story hotel balcony and fired into a crowd of 22,000 people. Last I saw 58 dead with 515 injured. 

Walked in with them in his luggage? Not exactly a hard hurtle to pass. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 14:04

Someone, from Europe, asked me this very same question. 
Do you have your bags searched in Europe? 
Here, they dont. In all my life, I never once have seen our bags searched when entering a hotel, nor have I ever heard of it. Ever. It's just not something we do. Which after this, may be something we should think about. Thinking about it, kind of amazing it's not been until now something like this happened.

It's come out that between the hotel and his house, the gunman had 42 weapons, as well as ammonium nitrate in his car. He had 23 weapons with him in the hotel. 
Also wired $100,000 to the Philippines and seems to have had a major gambling problem. So way too soon to draw any possible motives, could be any number of things. 
What I do know is: No one, no one, has any reason to have 42 weapons. Sorry to your rights, and I am a big rights guy and fairly neutral on guns, but 42??? Cmon
And yeah maybe we should start screening bags when entering a hotel, would be very easy to do and ya know, probably shouldn't just let people walk in when they may possibly have 23 weapons on em
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 16:54
^ would they be able to stop him? Honest question...what's the law (in Nevada) about bringing concealed (or unconcealed for that matter) weapons into a hotel? 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 17:20
Since it is unlikely there are more crazy people prone to violence in the US than in any other big modern country, it falls on gun availability.   More specifically, particular gun laws which don't discriminate much between something reasonable for home defense such as an automatic eight-shot pistol, and something unnecessary like a machine gun or other weapon of war (many of which are already illegal to own or sell).   As gun materials and construction has improved and cost of production gone down, machine-type guns have become common and cheap, much like automatic flick-knives were of the mid-20th century.

When the American gun culture, both the thoughtful intelligent people and the lowbrow morons, evolves to recognize all non gun owners' right to not be under threat, then maybe loopholes, gun shows, internet sales, illegal exchanges, and shady backroom dealings will be cracked down on.   Until then I don't see the "If you can own one Uzi why not ten?" attitude changing.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 18:23
Actually more I thought about it, not even sure that's realistic, esp in a busy Vegas hotel let's say. 
I know little of gun laws state to state but educated guess, Nevada probably has quite lax laws. 

Oh yeah just cause I am less into gun control than the avg liberal it's deff essential. 
Like I said above it seems there are studies to show it likely will bring some decrease in crime, and its very likely to decrease suicides. Would be nice to have US based studies but again, we cant fund them/are afraid to because of the NRA. That sure is some freedom! 
That really is the problem, from what I have seen I THINK most American's are pretty on board with more stringent checks and even things like assault rifle regulation and what not (though support for outright bans has dropped....thanks unnecessary Obama anger) it really shouldn't be this difficult, but $ in politics 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 18:26
I mean we couldn't even pass the Toomey-Manchin bill which is a pretty non threatening moderate bill put forward by a libertarian Republican from a mostly rural state and a conservative Dem from WV. 
So yeah we probably don't have much hope for even reasonable laws. And sure Vegas was an unprecedented tragedy in size, but Sandy Hook was 20 children. So if the mass murder of 20 elementary age children was not able to prompt even mild reform, why will this? Not to be bleak or anything ha
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 18:42
And if someone in that crowd had been armed, they would not at all been able to stop the gunman, which discredits the idea that you're safer if you or someone around you is carrying a gun.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 09:15

Someone, from Europe, asked me this very same question. 
Do you have your bags searched in Europe? 
Here, they dont. In all my life, I never once have seen our bags searched when entering a hotel, nor have I ever heard of it. Ever. It's just not something we do. Which after this, may be something we should think about. Thinking about it, kind of amazing it's not been until now something like this happened.

It's come out that between the hotel and his house, the gunman had 42 weapons, as well as ammonium nitrate in his car. He had 23 weapons with him in the hotel. 
Also wired $100,000 to the Philippines and seems to have had a major gambling problem. So way too soon to draw any possible motives, could be any number of things. 
What I do know is: No one, no one, has any reason to have 42 weapons. Sorry to your rights, and I am a big rights guy and fairly neutral on guns, but 42??? Cmon
And yeah maybe we should start screening bags when entering a hotel, would be very easy to do and ya know, probably shouldn't just let people walk in when they may possibly have 23 weapons on em

Having a hotel search bags is absurd. Nobody is going to pay to stay at a hotel that invades their privacy if they have an option to not do so. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 09:58
^Agreed. Of all the 2349012380 questions this case may present, the "how can someone walk with guns into a hotel" is not one of them. In all my years I have never, ever, never whatever ever, had my bags searched in a hotel (nor would I allow it). 
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 10:43
So now we will have our bags searched when we check into a hotel. Who knows what's next. There's no end to the madness.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 11:06
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

And if someone in that crowd had been armed, they would not at all been able to stop the gunman, which discredits the idea that you're safer if you or someone around you is carrying a gun.

Well no it doesn't discredit it at all despite the fact that it's a dubious claim. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 17:01
^ How are both those things mutually dubious?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 20:31
Huh? You argument is illogical. The factual claim that having a gun makes you safer is poorly supported by data. There's no contradiction there. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 21:24
^ Of course, that was my original point: the event discredits the idea that being armed makes you safer.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 17:22
Today's big scandal involves Harvey Weinstein.  Admittedly, I don't believe that I had ever heard of him before, although I suppose I have given his involvement as a fundraiser for the Democrats.  Of course this is the scandal that all Republicans have been waiting for since the Trump "grabbing women by their pussies" quote came out. 

Not that I in any way condone what this guy has allegedly done, but hasn't this always kind of been Hollywood's worst kept secret.  Women who want to become movie stars "opting" to have sex with directors/producers, etc in order to get that part in a movie that might make them a star.  The textbook definition of what is sexual harassment but also the way things have always been in this industry.  (This is all alleged on my part because I have no first hand knowledge of anything going down in Hollywood).  Harvey Weinstein sort of eludes to being a member of that 60's society where this was common place and that "he has tried to change but..." 

Anyhow, I'm kind of curious as to how this scandal broke and if it is big a deal as it really is?  i.e. everyone in Hollywood always knew but nobody ever said anything about it.  The big deal being how Hollywood is all so tied in with the Liberal ways of thinking and how it is kind of hypocritical that the fox in the hen house is more do what I say not what I do.  Sadly it is like Bill Cosby all over again and what he allegedly did.  Does everyone around them know about these bad behaviours and just turns the other eye because of who they are?  Or are there hundreds of other "icons" from this eras holding their rosaries and praying that they aren't the next celebrity on sex scandals of the rich and famous.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 17:48
^ I don't think it comes close to Bill Cosby; Weinstein is one of many creepy dudes who think they have a licence to, well, take licence, but Cosby was drugging and raping women regularly for decades.

Northern California is burning today so Harvey Weinstein isn't a big draw right now.   Thousands of homes destroyed, whole neighborhoods incinerated.   Thank goodness I'm at the coast but I have friends in Napa and I'm concerned.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 18:43
^ Allegedly on Cos (Although probably I suspect).  But do you think that he is really the only Hollywood icon who was doing this.  Again culture was women having sex with prominent men in hopes of becoming a star.  Sounds like a perfect playing ground for predators.  

Anyhow, sorry to hear about Northern California being on fire.  That sounds scary.  
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 09:06
Corey Feldman threatens to blow whistle on paedophile ring in Hollywood. Currently fearing for his life apparently.

MSN - Cory Feldman

Will be interesting to see if Mr Feldman ends up dead in bizarre circumstances, or has his charcter assassinated in the media.

Edited by Blacksword - October 26 2017 at 09:07
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 07:14
Kevin Spacey...oh dear..

Another Hollywood luvvie with friends in the democrat party, outed as a sex pest.

Curtains for Kevin?

Edited by Blacksword - November 01 2017 at 07:15
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 442443444445446>