Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 200201202203204 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 16:11
While we're on the topic of regulations and food...

This happened in the county where I teach.  From the Carolina Journal:

Preschooler’s Homemade Lunch Replaced with Cafeteria “Nuggets”
State agent inspects sack lunches, forces preschoolers to purchase cafeteria food instead
By Sara Burrows
Feb. 14th, 2012

RAEFORD — A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because a state employee told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.

The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the agent who was inspecting all lunch boxes in her More at Four classroom that day.

The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs — including in-home day care centers — to meet USDA guidelines. That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones.

The girl’s mother — who said she wishes to remain anonymous to protect her daughter from retaliation — said she received a note from the school stating that students who did not bring a “healthy lunch” would be offered the missing portions, which could result in a fee from the cafeteria, in her case $1.25.

“I don't feel that I should pay for a cafeteria lunch when I provide lunch for her from home,” the mother wrote in a complaint to her state representative, Republican G.L. Pridgen of Robeson County.

The girl’s grandmother, who sometimes helps pack her lunch, told Carolina Journal that she is a petite, picky 4-year-old who eats white whole wheat bread and is not big on vegetables.

“What got me so mad is, number one, don’t tell my kid I’m not packing her lunch box properly,” the girl’s mother told CJ. “I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats. It always consists of a fruit. It never consists of a vegetable. She eats vegetables at home because I have to watch her because she doesn’t really care for vegetables.”

When the girl came home with her lunch untouched, her mother wanted to know what she ate instead. Three chicken nuggets, the girl answered. Everything else on her cafeteria tray went to waste.

“She came home with her whole sandwich I had packed, because she chose to eat the nuggets on the lunch tray, because they put it in front of her,” her mother said. “You’re telling a 4-year-old. ‘oh. you’re lunch isn’t right,’ and she’s thinking there’s something wrong with her food.”

While the mother and grandmother thought the potato chips and lack of vegetable were what disqualified the lunch, a spokeswoman for the Division of Child Development said that should not have been a problem.

“With a turkey sandwich, that covers your protein, your grain, and if it had cheese on it, that’s the dairy,” said Jani Kozlowski, the fiscal and statutory policy manager for the division. “It sounds like the lunch itself would’ve met all of the standard.” The lunch has to include a fruit or vegetable, but not both, she said.

There are no clear restrictions about what additional items — like potato chips — can be included in preschoolers’ lunch boxes.

“If a parent sends their child with a Coke and a Twinkie, the child care provider is going to need to provide a balanced lunch for the child,” Kozlowski said.

Ultimately, the child care provider can’t take the Coke and Twinkie away from the child, but Kozlowski said she “would think the Pre-K provider would talk with the parent about that not being a healthy choice for their child.”

It is unclear whether the school was allowed to charge for the cafeteria lunches they gave to every preschooler in the class that day.

The state regulation reads:

“Sites must provide breakfast and/or snacks and lunch meeting USDA requirements during the regular school day. The partial/full cost of meals may be charged when families do not qualify for free/reduced price meals.

“When children bring their own food for meals and snacks to the center, if the food does not meet the specified nutritional requirements, the center must provide additional food necessary to meet those requirements.”

Still, Kozlowski said, the parents shouldn’t have been charged.

“The school may have interpreted [the rule] to mean they felt like the lunch wasn’t meeting the nutritional requirements and so they wanted the child to have the school lunch and then charged the parent,” she said. “It sounds like maybe a technical assistance need for that school.”

The school principal, Jackie Samuels, said he didn’t “know anything about” parents being charged for the meals that day. “I know they eat in the cafeteria. Whether they pay or not, they eat in the cafeteria.”

Pridgen’s office is looking into the issue.

Carolina Journal.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 16:21
I have heard about this happening.  It drives me insane  that administrators are now worrying about sack lunches.  GMAFB.  

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 16:31
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

A stupid keyword search in google scholar brought this up as the first result:

Abstract appears to be at least marginally relevant.

Is there really much scientific dispute anymore that feeding animals trash and then pumping them with antibiotics to compensate produces inferior products when compared to feeding animals a healthy diet?

First, that abstract concerns organic, not raw, milk. Second, yes, there is a huge amount of dispute regarding the benefits of organic products, with the bulk of the evidence saying that there is no advantage whatsoever (any benefits are typically found to be linked to other practices). Third, if there is any benefit to the use of unpasteurized milk (not organic), the benefit is extremely unlikely to outweigh the additional risk of infection from the milk. Most people go for raw milk out of an abundance of magical thinking. Dead

If you think eating processed food is good for your health I think you are pulling a purple rabbit out of your hat
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 17:23
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

A stupid keyword search in google scholar brought this up as the first result:

Abstract appears to be at least marginally relevant.

Is there really much scientific dispute anymore that feeding animals trash and then pumping them with antibiotics to compensate produces inferior products when compared to feeding animals a healthy diet?

First, that abstract concerns organic, not raw, milk. Second, yes, there is a huge amount of dispute regarding the benefits of organic products, with the bulk of the evidence saying that there is no advantage whatsoever (any benefits are typically found to be linked to other practices). Third, if there is any benefit to the use of unpasteurized milk (not organic), the benefit is extremely unlikely to outweigh the additional risk of infection from the milk. Most people go for raw milk out of an abundance of magical thinking. Dead

Raw milk is necessarily organic or you're pretty much guaranteed to get sick drinking it. All milk sold raw is organic. What kind of evidence are you talking about? Organic eggs for example are loaded with nutrients like Omega 3 fatty acids, beta carotene, and vitamin A compared to their commercial counterparts.

People go for raw milk for many reason. I prefer the taste and the fact that I appear to digest it easier for the rare occasions that I'm actually drinking milk.

EDIT: And yeah I have to agree with what Tim just said.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - February 14 2012 at 17:24
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 17:26
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

While we're on the topic of regulations and food...

This happened in the county where I teach.  From the Carolina Journal:

That's just tyranny and a big fat subsidy to food service providers dressed up in altruistic sounding words.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 17:53
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 18:44
Fox News is just too stupid... Too much.

So is CNN . And every other news network.

All hail The Food Network.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 18:50
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Fox News is just too stupid... Too much.

So is CNN . And every other news network.

All hail The Food Network.

The Food Network???  I don't give a damn about The Food Network.  Give me The Travel Channel with that guy that eats disgusting stuff, the guy that eats stuff way too big, and the guy that travels around a lot and doesn't eat too much disgusting stuff.

Bonus points if you can name those guys.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 14 2012 at 18:50
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 18:58
^The only clear thing is that tv nowadays suck... One has to watch one minute of the once-decent History Channel to realize that...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 19:42
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^The only clear thing is that tv nowadays suck... One has to watch one minute of the once-decent History Channel to realize that...

Where history comes to die. LOL

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 23:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Give me The Travel Channel with that guy that eats disgusting stuff, the guy that eats stuff way too big, and the guy that travels around a lot and doesn't eat too much disgusting stuff.

Bonus points if you can name those guys.

Andrew Zimmer (who seems like a nice guy but I hate because of his worthless sh*t-eating show's daily airtime), Adam Richman, and Anthony Bourdain (who is a total dick but entertaining as hell).  Also, the title of Anthony Bourdain's new show "The Layover" should be extended to read "The Layover... For Those On Unlimited Budgets (Also, People Still Have Layovers? Really? It's 2012.)"

Anyway, in real gop voter-fraud news:

Edited by manofmystery - February 14 2012 at 23:53

Time always wins.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 09:17
Blow up your TV. Throw away your paper.

Move to the country. Build you a home.

Have a lot of children. Feed em on peaches.

We'll all find Jesus.

On our own.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 09:53
^ Is this a Rx Doc? You know according to the gubment life is a controlled substance.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 10:46
Dr. Prine's Rx.

I'm sorry I haven't followed up on the milk issue. It was 11 years ago that I did my main reading on this subject when I was attempting vegetarianism and my first child was an infant. Not all of our choices were great and even the ones that were didn't necessarily end in the results we hoped.

That's why I like to keep things simple like Pollan's statement.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 12:39
Report: Obama mulls cuttings 80% of nuclear arsenal.

IF he does it, then I'll give him credit.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 13:04
^Nuclear weapons are horrible but at times i think that their being invented avoided a ton of wars...
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 13:20
^And, by the way (and related to the subject), if he does it he will have that to show to the people who are still in doubt but are usually scared of the war-mongerers like 3 out of the 4 republicans.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 16:55
Using the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki no doubt made the end of the war in Pacific come quicker.  It's really nothing to be proud of as a country though.  I know the context but they remain the largest instantaneous slaughters of civilians in history and hopefully something like that wont happen again.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 15 2012 at 16:56

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 17:12
^Japas was almost ready to surrender. All they wanted is to keep Hirohito as emperor. They kept him anyway even after the unconditional surrender after Nagasaki. An invasion to the main island, Honshu, would have caused thousands of American deaths but it wasn't necessary: Japan was done for, economically its ability to wage war was almost extinguished, and even their mighty morale was wearing down. A war of attrition wouldn't have lasted more than a few more months. The US never needed Hiroshima, and even less so Nagasaki, to win the war. It needed them for different reasons. When Stalin declared war on Japan the ending of the war was even closer. But the US needed the mighty bomb to try to somewhat stop Stalin from getting too hungry in Europe. And of course the generals were eager and crazy to try their new toy in a real war.

The bomb might have stopped other wars from occuring but it wasn't necessary in 1945.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 18:39
Considering the bloody battles to take over the various islands on the way to Japan and the kamikaze attacks, they were in it until the bitter end.  It would have been better if our first target was military.  I think the cold war would have still turned out pretty much the same.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 200201202203204 446>