Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 16:18
I have this irrational dislike of Douglas Adams and consider him a terrible author, yet I have never written so much as a word of anything he's ever written. It puzzles me.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 16:19
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I have this irrational dislike of Douglas Adams and consider him a terrible author, yet I have never written so much as a word of anything he's ever written. It puzzles me.

Not even definite articles?  Tongue

Edited by Epignosis - March 11 2012 at 16:29
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 18:08

Puzzles me too.  I heard you wrote half of the second series?  I must be wrong. 

Help me I'm falling!
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarke2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 18:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 21:21
I feel like my typos get extra scrutiny from Rob which attracts scrutiny from non-Robs.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 03:21

I feel like my typos get extra scrutiny from Rob which attracts scrutiny from non-Robs.
He who is without sin casts the first stone... then anyone can join in.
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 06:09
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

That just reminded me of that Life Of Brian scene. LOL

Latest Afghanistan horror makes the case for US to pull out now

Afghan civilian deaths spark calls for US exit |

Unhappy

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 12 2012 at 06:20
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 07:53
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

That just reminded me of that Life Of Brian scene. LOL<h3 ="r"="">Latest Afghanistan horror makes the case for US to pull out now </h3>

<span ="tl"><h3 style="white-space:normal">Afghan civilian deaths spark calls for US exit |</h3></span>

Unhappy

A truly appalling incident.

The guy was clearly 'battle mad' and had seen too much. I'm not excusing what he done, but surely his CO should have spotted that he slipping into this state of mind, and sent him home!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 16:06
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 16:50
Its an arse up world we live in!  Hollywood should be ashamed

Help me I'm falling!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 08:42
A pharmaceutical cure for racism..?

Heart disease drug could 'cure racism'

A study involving the beta-blocker Propranolol, caused the study group to score lower in a standard psychological test, to measure 'implicit' racism. To be clear, 'implicit' racism - according to the article - is present even in many people, who genuinely support equality, and is obviously completely different to blatant 'explicit' racism.

Fascinating and contraversial reading.

Edited by Blacksword - March 15 2012 at 08:46
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 09:56
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

A study involving the beta-blocker Propranolol, caused the study group to score lower in a standard psychological test, to measure 'implicit' racism. To be clear, 'implicit' racism - according to the article - is present even in many people, who genuinely support equality, and is obviously completely different to blatant 'explicit' racism.

Racism is founded on fear?  I'm afraid of racists.  Are scientists not as smart as they'd like us to think they are?  I'm afraid of that.  Yes, drugs are the solution.  Brought to you by the pharmaceutical companies of the USA.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 10:10

Why not? We have camps you can send people to cure them of their homosexuality.

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 10:13
cute alert! tragedy alert! You have been warned!
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 10:48

Very cool: Solar Cells at affordable prices perhaps.

That is really friggin cool.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 11:34
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

cute alert! tragedy alert! You have been warned!

That was too cute and lovely 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 11:36
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Why not? We have camps you can send people to cure them of their homosexuality.

Soon they will start getting everybody who even says something like "oh today's sky looks kinda dark" and put him in an institution for racism and they will force-fed him the stupid pills....  
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 11:45

Racism is founded on fear?  I'm afraid of racists.  Are scientists not as smart as they'd like us to think they are?  I'm afraid of that.  Yes, drugs are the solution.  Brought to you by the pharmaceutical companies of the USA.

A scientist can be good at what he does, and be very knowledgeable in his field, but like any other human being, he could be pretty stupid.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:03
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

A scientist can be good at what he does, and be very knowledgeable in his field, but like any other human being, he could be pretty stupid.
Why so? The "scientist" is not giving the definitive reason, he is postulating a possible explanation, and given how beta-blockers work, it's a not a completely outlandish one, beta-blockers regulate the "fight or fear" part of our nervous system. We do fear anyone who is not of our immediate circle of friends and family (tribe) - we can extrapolate that to include people who look like us, ie, who are of the same tribe, therefore people who are obviously of a different tribe simply by visual appearance will be regarded (subconsciously) as a possible foe, and thus someone to be feared - like it or not we do have a natural racial bias (not racism, but bias towards our own tribe). The article gives alternative views, but people ignore them for the sensationalist reporting - the sensationalised headline biases the article to produce exactly the knee-jerk reaction people here have given it. It's disappointing that we still do not get intelligent scientific articles written by intelligent scientific journalists in our daily newsprint.

Edited by Dean - March 15 2012 at 12:04
What?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 12:12
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Its an arse up world we live in!  Hollywood should be ashamed

Probably some dunbass lawyers who got sick of masturbation. I dunno, there are more important things on this godforsaken planet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 446>