Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 321322323324325 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 13:33
^^^ autotranslation - lol
What?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 13:54
I am born and raised Canadian with British parents and was fotunate enough to serve as a pilot in both the Canadian Forces and with the Aussies . All my experiences with the Brits and the Aussies were beyond words. Commonwealth rules !!!

Edited by Vibrationbaby - April 11 2013 at 13:59
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vibrationbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 14:08
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 14:11
And finally in News of the day... A big amazing whooshy aeroplane flew underneath a gigantic bright coloured flag for no apparent reason. LOL
rotten hound of the burnie crew
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 14:48
Anybody got a delete stupid photos button?
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 16:42

The BBC decide they will not be 'banning' 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead'.

Good job to.  I thought for one terrible moment we were back in 1977.
Help me I'm falling!
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsewithteeth11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:24
Actually, this is the harshest criticism of Thatcher I've seen so far. Of course, I'm not too terribly surprised by the source. Makes Billy Bragg look like he's complimenting her.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 12:15
Originally posted by horsewithteeth11 horsewithteeth11 wrote:

Actually, this is the harshest criticism of Thatcher I've seen so far. Of course, I'm not too terribly surprised by the source. Makes Billy Bragg look like he's complimenting her.

Yep, that was a pretty stinging...fair enough...

In the interest of equal time and "diversity of opinion", I'll share another viewpoint from a supporter....equally harsh as that one but in her defense.

markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markosherrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 13:40
There are only one truth she and  Blair are genocides Thatcher in Malvinas, Blair in Irak, now the same  in Libia, Siria,..Palestine.

Edited by markosherrera - April 13 2013 at 13:43
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 13:46
Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

There are only one truth she and  Blair are genocides Thatcher in Malvinas, Blair in Irak, now the same  in Libia, Siria,..Palestine.

I am not a fan of either of them.  But I know what 'genocide' means and neither of them are responsible for anything that is remotely like that.
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markosherrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 13:51
Margaret Thatcher criminal of war in Malvinas
Bush and Blair Criminal of war in Irak
Obama criminal of war in Libia,Siria,.Afganistan,.etc

Please look the video first
Now there are the same propaganda for justify one big attack over Iran,...

North Korea,..is different,...or may be not,...

Edited by markosherrera - April 13 2013 at 14:05
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 14:15
Wow there is only one truth and Markosherrera knows it.

I hope you put Che Guevara in your list of criminals.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markosherrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 15:02
The T I hope that you will see all the video
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 15:22
I was going to but I don't have an hour and 37 minutes to give away today.

I can grant you they all have blood in their hands. Genocide? I don't think they qualify. But on a related matter, you can make everything with a well-done video, you can convince anyone of anything. Hell, a well-done video might even convince some that Che Guevara wasn't a murderer, or that Chavez' Venezuela is a paradise.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 15:35
^ Chavez could have easily done better things to boost the quality of life for its citizens, but he's a communist and communists don't believe in building a large middle class.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 15:36
@Markosherra - genocide is not the word.

She felt pride at the needless death of conscripts. She took the death of Bobby Sands as an opportunity to smear his name and change the law to prevent other hunger strikers from being elected, while her security agencies were complicit in the murder of civilians in Northern Ireland. She supported Pinochet.

That's kind of enough, innit?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 19:32

One man's propaganda is not another man's truth.

John Pilger is a brilliant journalist when you agree with what he says and a dreadful one when you don't, this is because he sees everything in absolutes - everything in black and white, right and wrong - and because of that his documentaries are not journalism in the true sense of the word, but anti-propaganda, which as we all know, is exactly the same as propaganda.

I oppose all war, (I have said this before), they are an abysmal waste of life. The lives lost in the Falklands was an appalling waste of life and the guilty should be named - not only Thatcher but also Galtieri - the man who started a war with another country for domestic political gain and lost. The stupidity in that war is that if he had waited a few more years the British government would have given the islands to Argentina, but no - he decided to take them by force and now they will never be Argentine.

I will also say that I detested Thatcher with a passion and it galls me to have to defend her now, but I feel I should:

She was a genocidal as she ordered the sinking of the battleship Belgrano outside the combat zone where 700 soldiers were killed,
While there is some controversy over the sinking of the Belgrano (and I have read the Spanish version of events on wikipedia.es so I am aware of both "sides"), there is no controversy over two very salient points ... ONE - The Belgrano was an Argentine Warship engaged in a hostile act of aggression and TWO - the number of deaths was 323 not 700. I'm not condoning Thatcher here, just correcting errors in your post. If you're on a warship with orders to destroy any British ships it encountered ("El GT 79.3 recibió órdenes [...] para interceptar y neutralizar unidades enemigas de acuerdo con las demás fuerzas de tarea.") then do not be surprised if the "enemigas" attacks you first. War is not a polite game of football.

Killing soldiers (or sailors) in wartime is not genocide.

and also insisted much in attack with nuclear bombs to Argentina.
Whether this is true or not, it does not make her genocidal. If the account of the conversation between Mitterrand and Thatcher is true then it is clear from the transcript she was bluffing Mitterrand into giving her the control codes for the Exocet missiles - at no time did she make this threat towards the Argentine people or their government.

Edited by Dean - April 13 2013 at 19:33
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 21:21
Funny thing is, if lefties (and righties, in Galtieri's time) people in Argentina just asked the inhabitants of the Falklands Islands which damn country they prefer the islands to belong to, so much time and blood would have been saved. They have always wanted to be with Britain. But a falling fascist dictatorship's last-minute move to try to rally support has now become the rallying cry of a sector interested in making people forget the appaling economic conditions caused by populism and the current lefty government.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 06:13

Margaret Thatcher criminal of war in Malvinas

For one thing, Thatcher didn't start the war. 

The Faulkland war was started by Leopoldo Galtieri, the capo de tutti capi of the Argentinian military mafia ("junta") that ran the country in the 70s and 80s. Maggie Thatcher was like meek Mother Theresa comparing to Galtieri, who had been directly responsible for tens of thousands of "disappeared" during the "Dirty War". 

The reason Galtieri started the Faulkland war was to distract the attention of the Argentinian people from the disastrous situation in the country - high unemployment, stagnating economy, inflation, street violence, kidnappings, tortures and killings being the commonplace. Padre Leopoldo calculated that Britain was too weak to be able to respond in kind, and that President Reagan would have his (Galtieri's) back as a reward for assisting Uncle Sam' in some very unsavory business in Nicaragua.

#2: If you go to war, expect the war to come back to you. Today being Sunday, read Matthew 26:52. Or, just observe what sometimes happens to bullies when they taunt the wrong guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dybka5u0w1E

By the way, Galtieri was lucky to only lose his face and his job (I don't really think he cared much about the lost Belgrano's sailors). Thatcher was satisfied with simply recapturing the Faulklands; FDR might have carpet-bombed half of Argentina into wasteland just to help them see the point; Uncle Joe might have made Argentina into a Soviet Republic and shipped the junta members to a Siberia uranium mine for a work vacation.  

(Please pass this memo on to Kim Jong Un)

#3: All things considered, the Faulkland war failure was in a way a catalyst of the junta's final demise, which made it possible for Argentinian people to choose the path towards more freedom and prosperity.  

See, I was around and old enough to listen to prog when all this s*** was happening; for those who weren't, there is such thing as "books".    

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 07:11
I have a question to all those who "criticize" Maggie Thatcher .. was the UK better off before or after Thatcher?

Here is is an outsider's prospective: in the 70s, Britain was known as the "sick man of Europe". The industry was in steady decline. The pound saw 70-75% of its value wiped out by persistent double-digit inflation. There were shortages of essential commodities, interruption of basic services, and frequent chaos on the streets. Average people lived very modestly, and there was an uneasy feeling of hopelessness in the air (so aptly summarized by Mr. Waters, 'Hanging on in quiet desperation ..'). 

When Thatcher had finished her decade at the helm in 1990, no-one seemed to be referring to the UK as a "sick man" of anywhere. The UK economy became the 4th largest in the world - behind Germany, but ahead of France and Italy, and the malaise of the 70s was well and truly gone. When I visited in the early 1990s, the country looked well taken care of, modern and confident - as a major power should.

Edited by Argonaught - April 14 2013 at 10:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 321322323324325 446>