Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 16:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Everything needs to be paid for and everything has a price. If hospitals were seriously overcharging then this would manifest itself in the annual fiscal acccounts that they have to publish every year (check yourself: the annual finacial statement of the hostpital in the Time article) - when figures like 400% or more are banded about then the difference between income and costs would be huge - too large to "bury" with clever accounting. The cost of a series of blood tests is more than the material costs of the lab analysis, they ammortise other cost factors into the itemised charges that they're not permitted to itemise on a bill, such as nursing care, heating, orderlies, cleaners & cleaning materials ext.

Understood.

Although I would have expected that the "bolded" items would be what you are paying for when you pay the "daily hospital stay" charge, typically thousands per day which is a line-item on every bill.  If this doesn't cover the heat and toilet cleaner, we're really screwedLOL

Then there's the matter of running far too many unnecessary tests, something I witnessed watching them run up hundreds of thousands $$ while still managing to do very little of benefit, for Dad. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 16:26
2nd bomb site

Edit: NBC is downplaying this.....something happened there, but so far no confirmation it is related to the Marathon.

Edited by Finnforest - April 15 2013 at 17:22

sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 16:58
What is going on in the US? I'm picking up lots of friends from there on facebook talking about bomb sites and explosions having just gone onto the site. Stay safe, my US friends - I hope that this ends swiftly and that the perpetrators are caught and sorted out.  
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 17:08
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

What is going on in the US? I'm picking up lots of friends from there on facebook talking about bomb sites and explosions having just gone onto the site. Stay safe, my US friends - I hope that this ends swiftly and that the perpetrators are caught and sorted out.  

I'm just hoping the police state doesn't get even stronger after this incident.ConfusedOuch
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marktheshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 17:28
And everybody including the FBI is classifying it as a terrorist attack except you-know-who. You would think this idiot would've learned his lesson from Benghazi.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 17:29
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Everything needs to be paid for and everything has a price. If hospitals were seriously overcharging then this would manifest itself in the annual fiscal acccounts that they have to publish every year (check yourself: the annual finacial statement of the hostpital in the Time article) - when figures like 400% or more are banded about then the difference between income and costs would be huge - too large to "bury" with clever accounting. The cost of a series of blood tests is more than the material costs of the lab analysis, they ammortise other cost factors into the itemised charges that they're not permitted to itemise on a bill, such as nursing care, heating, orderlies, cleaners & cleaning materials ext.

Understood.

Although I would have expected that the "bolded" items would be what you are paying for when you pay the "daily hospital stay" charge, typically thousands per day which is a line-item on every bill.  If this doesn't cover the heat and toilet cleaner, we're really screwedLOL

Then there's the matter of running far too many unnecessary tests, something I witnessed watching them run up hundreds of thousands $$ while still managing to do very little of benefit, for Dad. 
I have never seen a hospital bill so would not know what charges exist on it specifically, I was just pulling general running-cost overheads off the top of my head. (I didn't even get charged car park fees when I stayed in hospital). I know what you are getting at but it doesn't make sense and it doesn't add up - if they are running unnecessary tests to hike up the bill that is already overcharged then the level of duplicity involved is more than just a little, and the lengths all hospitals would have to go to hide it would (ironically) be impossible to conceal. When you've got net income from patient charges and net expediture for providing that care shown on a balance sheet they have to add up.

To me, running unnecessary test is a combination of diagnostic incompetence and fear of litigation... when you can get sued for not running a test the safe option is to run all of them. Again, the fix (sorry Teo) is to go to the root of the problem, not the symptom - allow doctors to do their jobs without fear of being sued for every decision they make.

What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 17:39
sh*t
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 17:45

Understood.

I have never seen a hospital bill so would not know what charges exist on it specifically, I was just pulling general running-cost overheads off the top of my head. (I didn't even get charged car park fees when I stayed in hospital). I know what you are getting at but it doesn't make sense and it doesn't add up - if they are running unnecessary tests to hike up the bill that is already overcharged then the level of duplicity involved is more than just a little, and the lengths all hospitals would have to go to hide it would (ironically) be impossible to conceal. When you've got net income from patient charges and net expediture for providing that care shown on a balance sheet they have to add up.

To me, running unnecessary test is a combination of diagnostic incompetence and fear of litigation... when you can get sued for not running a test the safe option is to run all of them. Again, the fix (sorry Teo) is to go to the root of the problem, not the symptom - allow doctors to do their jobs without fear of being sued for every decision they make.

Dean, did you read the whole article?  If so, what was your overall impression?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 18:15

Dean, did you read the whole article?  If so, what was your overall impression?
I couldn't find the whole article online but found a section of it concerning overcharging. One example was being charged $1.50 for non-prescription pain killer that "You can buy 100 of them on Amazon for $1.49" (except you only get 24 for $1.50 ... plus $4.99 shipping .. so 27¢ a pill not 1½¢ but that's still not $1.50... so, nearly right). One of the points made in the extract was that the hospital charged $15,000 for blood-tests that Medicare would have paid them "a few hundred dollars for" - [I would like to see a little more accuracy in the reporting - actual figures rather than vagaries and guessing, I get the feeling that the reporter was pulling numbers out of his butt, but hey-ho] - and that is ludicrous if it is true but an indication that Medicare has got something right at least - if hospitals can overcharge private patients but not Medicare then that says a lot for not being a private patient.

Edited by Dean - April 15 2013 at 18:17
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 18:34
That is true.  Medicare tells them what they're gonna get, not the other way around, I believe.  Medicare covers the bulk of expenses for people 65 and over, although not everything.  If I"m not mistaken they cover 80% and you have to buy coverage to cover the rest, Medicare supplemental insurance. 

Edited by Finnforest - April 15 2013 at 18:49

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 19:24
The terrorist bomb attacks in Boston are on every channel in Aus now. My prayers and hopes with all involved in this tragedy.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - April 15 2013 at 20:58
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 19:36
^ please edit that Scott - it's messing with forum formatting. Just a link to the relevant site is enough.
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 20:56
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

sh*t
Unexpectedly deep. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 21:28
My sister used to live in Boston, and we grew up less than an hour from the city.  Simply awful what happened today.  Hope they catch whoever did this.

Thoughts with the families who lost loved ones and have loved ones in the hospital.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 00:07
Just awful, those poor people who've lost limbs.   I have relatives in Groton, Mass., about an hour from Boston.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 02:34
I don't get it. Two reportedly massive explosions in the middle of the marathon crowds, and only 3 dead? What's going on?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 02:48
Those terrorist bomb attacks on the Boston marathon may have been inspired by an episode of the TV-series "Rizzoli and Isles".  The series is located in Boston, and in one episode a sniper took out participants in the Boston marathon. I immediately thought of that episode when I heard of these bomb attacks.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 03:43
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Those terrorist bomb attacks on the Boston marathon may have been inspired by an episode of the TV-series "Rizzoli and Isles".  The series is located in Boston, and in one episode a sniper took out participants in the Boston marathon. I immediately thought of that episode when I heard of these bomb attacks.

There was a spin off series from The X files (can't remember it's name) which featured hi-jacked plane being flown into the twin towers.

I think it's more a case of certain targets being very obvious. The WTC twin towers were very high; terrorists would therefore logically seek to fly planes into them at some point. The WTC, IIRC was insured against accidents or attacks of this nature. As you would expect.

You get a lot of people at city marathons, lots of potential casualties. Also because the route is so long, the terrorist has`a lot of ground to choose from. If anything the finish line was perhaps too obvious, but then that's where the majority of TV cameras would be.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 06:01
My condolences and sympathy to the victims. Gosh what a crazy world... it looks like a rather amateurish attack though 
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 06:02
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the film 'Four Lions' - a brilliantly written but very dark comedy about 4 inept suicide bombers who decide eventually to target the London Marathon.

Thoughts are with those affected by this appalling act in Boston & praying no maniac gets the same idea in the UK, bearing in mind we have London's marathon on Sunday (not to mention Thatcher's funeral tomorrow...)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 446>