Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 383384385386387 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 02:28
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

A little perspective is needed here I think.

Number of people killed by US police officers in 2011 - unknown, but average annual "justifiable homicides" is 400 (in 2012 it was 587)
Number of people killed by UK police officers in 2011 - one (number killed in 2013 - zero)

As a result of the Mark Duggan inquiry UK all armed police are to use body cameras from August of this year. 

Using frequency for perspective I am sure is reassuring to the families of victims of police brutality
It was never intended to be. The discussion had moved on. Teo raised a point about Iceland, I followed on. How difficult is this to understand? Your initial post was on the previous page, some 20 effing posts back, I was not posting in direct response to your comment.

Earlier than that you bemoaned that no attention was given to preventing the loss of life, understanding how that works in other countries perhaps offers insights into how that is possible. But what the hell do I care - all killings are bad.

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Rather humane of them.. Something the governments of the US and the UK have failed to do with the whole… Snow…den… incidentStern Smile
What!?!?! They've killed Snowden!? Man, they kept that quiet, typical government cover-up. 

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Is the cult of guns related to the cult of cops?
Nope of course they are not. The figures are for all deaths caused by police officers including those by night-stick, automobile accident, rubberised police radio etc. Other countries have permanently armed police forces and their death rates are significantly lower. What I find a little disconcerting is this implication that there is a cult of brutality within police forces.

What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 10:27

Number of people killed by US police officers in 2011 - unknown, but average annual "justifiable homicides" is 400 (in 2012 it was 587)
Number of people killed by UK police officers in 2011 - one (number killed in 2013 - zero)

As a result of the Mark Duggan inquiry UK all armed police are to use body cameras from August of this year. 

This does not look like a response to a post about Iceland. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 10:31
*sigh* 

"follow on" =/= "response" 

Life need not be this effing difficult. Unhappy
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 10:38
Yeah you are right
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 10:40
pax?
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 10:43
http://www.ploom.com/pax

I don't own one I am old school
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 11:57

Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Rather humane of them.. Something the governments of the US and the UK have failed to do with the whole… Snow…den… incidentStern Smile
What!?!?! They've killed Snowden!? Man, they kept that quiet, typical government cover-up. 

No, Mr. Cracknell, that was just a simple analogy about how the lack of apology that our governments are giving us about stealing our information to killing our privacy and our freedoms that fine English noblemen have obtained for us (even around the world) that started with the enshrinement of the (Magna Carta).

Deepest apologies for the miscomprehension of what I had typed there, but I have been looking up information on this NSA program online over my Holiday break. 

Edited by King of Loss - January 10 2014 at 11:59
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 12:02

And that's a good thing. But aggregate statistics do not and should not have any affect on my particular judgements related to this case.

EDIT: I read this before reading anything that came after it so shame on me for that.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - January 10 2014 at 12:04
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 12:35
Dean, I wouldn't say there is a cult of police brutality. But there's definitely a cult of armed uniforms; also, the very mentality here in regards to criminality tends to punishment rather than rehabilitation; causes are more attributed to internal than external factors, therefore harsh punishment and outrageously harsh sentences are normal and even applauded. In such an environment is just normal that cops are seen not as mere law enforcers but as higher authorities whom one has to bend over in the presence of. There's even tv shows glorifying cops driving and arresting poor white and black people, shows that have been around forever. In said culture is just normal that police "justifiable" killings are just... Statistics.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 18:43

To protect and serve? Caution .....this is a very disturbing video

All they left was a stain on the pavement. Watch at the end as they walk around with flashlights picking up evidence.

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-california-policemen-acquitted-beating-death-mentally-ill-001313044.html

This is not acceptable. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 00:11

To protect and serve? Caution .....this is a very disturbing video

All they left was a stain on the pavement. Watch at the end as they walk around with flashlights picking up evidence.

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-california-policemen-acquitted-beating-death-mentally-ill-001313044.html

This is not acceptable. 

I guess it's how some of these policemen are recruited. To wear the badge for power and for strength instead of for honor.. That's how it always has been….Unhappy
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 08:13
It's a joke that either got off on any charge, but it's especially absurd that they refused to even slap the officer Cicinelli on the wrist with an excessive use of force charge. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:20
It's fair to assume that a percentage of cops join the force because they need to resolve inner conflicts by being able to assert authority and power over other people. If on top of that we armed them to the teeth and we tell them that everybody has to bow down to their commands, I don't see why would anyone be surprised about some results... 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 11:39
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 13:02
^Great. We are a little more owned by corporations than we were yesterday. Dead

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 14:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/u-appeals-court-kills-net-neutrality-152413671.html

The UNITED STATES APPEALS COURT OF PROPERTYDead
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 02:57
Justin Bieber's home searched in egg-throwing investigation

WTF??

Quote Lt David Thompson told reporters, adding a judge had signed off on a search warrant.

"I get that the eggs don't seem that significant, but it does rise to the level of a felony," he said.

"There is a victim in this case who has extensive damage done to their home. And that's a serious incident."

Only in Los Angeles!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 03:23
Another eggscruciatingly overeggscited news story of eggsagerated journalistic eggsuberance masquerading as an eggsacting eggsamination of eggstreme celebrity eggomania.

Ermm I really should limit my viewing of Saturday Kitchen to once a month...

Edited by Dean - January 15 2014 at 03:23
What?
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 03:38
I'm not yolking, but you've really come out of your shell recently

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 03:43
Thanks Jim... I was beginning to crack up but I'm all white now.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 383384385386387 446>