Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 402403404405406 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 06:53
Blackswords analysis seems correct in my ears, dont forgett also Russia is even more activ and is testing nighouring countrys souverigin borders like Norway, Finalnd, and Sweden, last month Russias vice-primeminister or president was on a secret unofficial trip to Svalbard (Norwegian teritory), to inspect stuff, as some of the coal mines on Spitsbergen is Russion, but it is Norwegian souvrign land/territory, so the Russion ambassadour was pulled on to the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs RNMoFA, and they were not happy. http://www.tnp.no/norway/politics/4919-norway-to-increase-military-spendings
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 09:22
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

You must have heard of this one. It's the second day this is happening. If this is for Freddie Gray, then what the hell did these protesters need the liquor for? To relieve anxiety?

It goes without saying that the whole thing just looks so freaking stupid. If this is their idea of fighting back, ... Confused Wacko ... they should realize at some point that nothing good will come out of it.

When proper means of resistence have all turned out to be futile people will often turn to not so productive ones in the time honored tradition of flinging feces at a wall.

If people's idea of solving a situation is to denigrate it as soon as some portion of it turns non-peaceful then they should realize at some point that nothing good will come out of it.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 09:46

You must have heard of this one. It's the second day this is happening. If this is for Freddie Gray, then what the hell did these protesters need the liquor for? To relieve anxiety?

It goes without saying that the whole thing just looks so freaking stupid. If this is their idea of fighting back, ... Confused Wacko ... they should realize at some point that nothing good will come out of it.

It's pretty tense here.I sat on my porch all night with a 9mm and 12 gauge shotgun to protect my family and home.

I never thought I would see the military patrolling the streets of my city.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 09:48
Shocked 

Stay safe Jody. 
What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 11:23
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

It's pretty tense here.I sat on my porch all night with a 9mm and 12 gauge shotgun to protect my family and home.

I never thought I would see the military patrolling the streets of my city.

Astounding and horrible. I wonder which city it'll kick off in next..

Stay safe!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 17:09
Thanks guys,things have calmed down a bit.I live in Southeastern  Baltimore,this started in the west side,and spread east,then started going south.I was pretty worried last night,we had all kids of people roaming our streets.

Everything is closed.Not many buses running,schools cancelled,downtown is closed,the Aquarium and National Science Center and Walter's Art Gallery is closed.There is a week long curfew in the city limits,no one is allowed on the streets after 10pm,and if you are out it better be a medical emergency or you are going to or from work.And they said if you are going to and from work,you better have a note from your employer.

On a very weird side note,2 of the Orioles games against the White Sox have already been postponed,and tomorrow they are going to play at Camden Yards and for the first time in MLB history the game is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC.They are going to play a MLB game in an empty stadium.WOW

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 17:34
I saw that they were playing the game closed to the public....now that is the kind of news that would make me go out and protest. Wink 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 17:45
Seriously though, I came on PA to check and see if you had stopped by today.  I am glad to hear that you and your family are OK.   One of these days I would like to go to a game at Camden Yard when the Tigers are there, but I heard that the stadium was in a rough neighborhood and thus far I have not made the trip.  I suspect that this year is out too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:29
Actually,Camden Yards is downtown,which is pretty safe and has always had a large police presence.Downtown,The Inner Harbor and Federal Hill are really nice areas of Baltimore.It's north and west Baltimore that you have to stay out of.

If you ever come this way for a game you had better let me know.Me and my wife will show you a great time,hope you like to eat crabs!

If you want to check out this game today that is closed to the public,even just to check it out for a few minutes,MLB.com is streaming the game for free.It starts at 2:05 pm.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:58
^^^ I've seen a clip of your mayor admitting they allowed protestors "space to destroy"

A strange strategy in my opinion, but hey.

How's the curfew going and are the national guard there yet?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 11:57
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ I've seen a clip of your mayor admitting they allowed protestors "space to destroy"

A strange strategy in my opinion, but hey.

How's the curfew going and are the national guard there yet?

With that statement she went from a much beloved,highly thought of mayor to an absolute heel whose political career is over,at least in this state.

National Guard has been here for two days already,about 3k troops.They are literally guarding City Hall,Police Headquarters and the Inner Harbor.Enforcing the curfew last night was a little rocky to start,but after the arrested some people the crowds started to disperse.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:06
This is a mother who was watching the coverage and recognized her son throwing bricks at police.

I can't help it,I love this city.

Edited by TheProgtologist - April 29 2015 at 12:07

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:21
This guy had been taunting the lines constantly after the curfew was in effect,and what they did to him really helped to discourage the crowd.I was watching this live,it was pretty awesome.I totally forgot how to hyperlink here and I am exhausted but here's the link.

http://gawker.com/watch-baltimore-police-make-a-protester-disappear-1700856531

Edited by TheProgtologist - April 29 2015 at 12:22

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:29
I'm pretty anxious about Friday,that is when they are going to release the results of their internal investigation.If it is in favor of the 5 policemen in question this city will explode.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 18:29
Here's some more on it, the first one being the most interesting because the main stream media isn't covering it -

Eyewitnesses: The Baltimore Riots Didn't Start the Way You Think

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/how-baltimore-riots-began-mondawmin-purge

http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2015/04/fox-has-very-bad-night-in-baltimore-fox-get-out-of-here/

The placed a picture on "Baltimore in Flames" on their timeline but the actual picture in from Venezuela's riots back in Feb 2014
http://imgur.com/NJN5664

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 03:21
If there's anything I've learned from the Ukrainian civil war, it's that with conflicts like these the news media is really good at filtering out every detail that doesn't fit into whatever ideological narrative the respective outlet is trying to sell... in particular if it's something that's happening halfways across the globe from me.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 09:49
People here who are interested in the more theoretical social science aspect of politics might find this essay illuminating, as it seeks to explain how moral norms are turned into "ideological superweapons". This happens not surprisingly most often with moral value systems that are religious in origin, but totalitarian . The gist of the essay is that sufficiently powerful and centralized institutionalized ideologies become what the authors call "egregores", i. e. that they get some kind of evolutionary direction independent of what their followers can control on the organizational level. Many religions qualify as such egregores, but so does the modern nation-state too which explains why the checks-and-balances of liberal democracy do not efficiently prevent abuse of power within its constraints.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - May 16 2015 at 09:49
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
KenFrankenstein View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenFrankenstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 14:09
What about those idiots who escaped from the Clinton jail in New York State? I wouldn't compare it to the Shawshank Redemption because Andy Dufresne  had a well executed lone ranger plan even though it took him 18 years. It seems that they were sold up the river by an accomplice and they are pretty much screwed one way or another. Hopefully no innocent people will get stuck in the crossfire.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 17:48
It probably will not end well.
KenFrankenstein View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenFrankenstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 03:58
Unfortunately.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 402403404405406 446>