Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404405406407408 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 17:28
You aren't kidding about that, in a rational sane world it should have never come before the Supreme Court and even been such a close 5-4 decision. When you have 4 justices that said there was no constitutional right regarding marriage.. ie states should decide who can and can't marry..

thank God for the 5 who understood that ^ logic is exactly what the court struck down in Virginia many years ago when our 'enlightened' nation and the great state of Virginia had laws, democracy in action! Thumbs Up, that allowed states to say that blacks and whites couldn't marry.  

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 21:50
It was a victory, but prejudice and hate are still too much strong around the world.

To live is to fight. And life continues.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:04
I have little doubt in ten years or so most Americans will wonder why it took so long to allow some of the finest citizens we have to be married.   Discrimination against same sex couples will seem as archaic as white-only restaurants and no vote for women.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:24
So then...the 4 who voted against gay marriage....are they just right wing religious zealots or what?
I find it hard to  believe that this was a 'Constitutional' decision and not one of their religious bigotry against gay people.
Confused

Edited by dr wu23 - June 26 2015 at 22:24
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

So then...the 4 who voted against gay marriage....are they just right wing religious nutters or what?
I find it hard to  believe that this was a 'Constitutional' decision and not one of their religious bigotry again gay people.
Confused
It puzzles me, dr wu23, 
State and Church according to USA are and should be separated, thus (in any case too) I see no reason why to deny two life partners the benefits of being married.  This makes no sense, makes me think how selfish, retarded and narrow minded we are as people. .
A big hug to you, dr wu23
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 23:02
That's how a lot of the world still feels, unfortunately.  They're just too narrow minded with their religion to see anything else.  But, there ARE plenty of people out there who are very religious, but also very open minded on matters, and would rather see people happy than try and impose (and therefore, tell people how to live) their beliefs on others.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 12:11
Meanwhile, in the Mediterranean... as far as France goes, it has to be only a matter of time before some of the ultranationalist militant groups there execute a terror attack against a mosque in retaliation. If Italian neofascists don't get there first, that is...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 13:26
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Meanwhile, in the Mediterranean... as far as France goes, it has to be only a matter of time before some of the ultranationalist militant groups there execute a terror attack against a mosque in retaliation. If Italian neofascists don't get there first, that is...

Unfortunately, at present Italians don't have a monopoly on neo-fascist groups, though heaven (or hell) knows my native country does have its fair share.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 13:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

So then...the 4 who voted against gay marriage....are they just right wing religious zealots or what?
I find it hard to  believe that this was a 'Constitutional' decision and not one of their religious bigotry against gay people.
Confused

of course it was...

I can't remember if I wrote it last night.. probably not since I was already starting to foam at the mouth ... that those 4 justices either got their law degrees from cereal boxes. (this issue has already been ruled on in principal.. States DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to restrict marriage based on WHO YOU WANT TO MARRY. Be it race or whatever. They ruled against legislative bigrotry.

they ignored it. Why?

Either they are complete idiots.. OR.. the most likely case. Bigots?  Perhaps..  but I think that pinacle of power. It is more about simple political ideology.. blind ideology. Both sides are guilty of it. One side errors on the side of good..  to be FOR something.. one side errors on the complete WRONG sidfe of it... to be AGAINST something.

My poly sci professor once said it best...that in short is the clearest and simple distinction between liberal and conservative in AMerican politcs.

Liberal seeks to make changes...  to be FOR something. For the greater good.  Conservative works to keep things the same.. to be AGAINST something to keep the status quo for the like minded.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 13:31
They are some of the most well-organized in Western Europe, though, and some of the most active regarding ambitious large-scale terrorism, compared to say the English Defence League. Didn't a lot of Italian neofascist terror groups during the Cold War get their hands on surprisingly much top-shelf NATO weaponry on account of CIA's European operations employing quite a few people who used to run the Italian military intelligence during WW2 hence having not-quite-reconstructed Axis loyalties? I remember reading something about that when researching Operation Gladio (link for those who haven't heard of that) and other stay-behind armies.

EDIT: Referring to Italian neofascist militias like Terza Posizione, post got lost between two unrelated ones.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - June 28 2015 at 06:14
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 13:42
I can't believe that "states' rights" is still a thing.  Has this phrase every been anything but a code word for states denying rights to a group of people?

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 13:52
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I can't believe that "states' rights" is still a thing.  Has this phrase every been anything but a code word for states denying rights to a group of people?

Smile has that been anything other than the primary goal and basis of the right wing social agenda since for 150 years...

people are blind if they don't see it is a house of cards built on exploiting our long institution of hating and fearing those different from ourselves. It has a kind word and face..and an innocuous term...

states rights

Blacks, Italians, Irish, Catholics... were classic USA racism...  now we have the boogieman the right wing wish to protect our country from.. the scary threesome of  hispanics, gays, and muslims.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

They are some of the most well-organized in Western Europe, though, and some of the most active regarding ambitious large-scale terrorism, compared to say the English Defence League. Didn't a lot of Italian neofascist terror groups during the Cold War get their hands on surprisingly much top-shelf NATO weaponry on account of CIA's European operations employing quite a few people who used to run the Italian military intelligence during WW2 hence having not-quite-reconstructed Axis loyalties? I remember reading something about that when researching Operation Gladio (link for those who haven't heard of that) and other stay-behind armies.

What you say was definitely true in the Seventies and Eighties - during the Cold War, when Italy (a key member of NATO) had a very strong Communist party. I was a teenager in the Seventies, and remember very well what we call the "years of lead" (anni di piombo). Those neofascist groups were domestic terrorists in the true sense of the word - Italians killing other Italians, often by placing explosives in crowded placs (like Bologna railway station in 1980).

However, things have changed quite dramatically after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and nowadays far-right groups are mostly concerned with immigrants and Roma (what most people call gypsies) rather than people holding opposite political views. Of course, they are not people whose views I espouse in any way, but so far they haven't proved to be as dangerous as Golden Dawn or other similar groups in other European countries.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 14:57
Then there's the Uyoku Dantai subculture in Japan, who are basically the Asian equivalent of Neo-Nazis but enjoy a much higher degree of mainstream acceptance because Japan wasn't as thoroughly de-nazified after WW2 as the other former Axis countries. It gets really scary if you consider that the country's current national-conservative gov't has strong ties to that environment through the Nippon Kaigi radical-right think tank. Golden Dawn look like a bunch of buffoonish village idiots next to the Japanese far right, who have been very successful in promoting Axis ideology to mainstream conservatism to the point one of the world's biggest economies has a prime minister whose government is aligned with an Axis loyalist agenda.
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 17:20
In sillier news, CNN, in typical knee-jerk reactionary fashion, fell victim to the very fear and paranoia they've been selling for years.

http://gawker.com/cnn-mistakes-isis-style-dildo-flag-at-pride-parade-for-1714409153

They mistook butt plugs and dildos for an ISIS flag. LOL

As the quoted tweet says at the story, This is the second best flag news this month.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 21:32
Greece has voted 61-39 against the latest austerity package.  So the austerity time bomb that had been ticking away for ages has finally gone off.   We are now officially living in 'interesting' times.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 22:05
Thumbs Up

Although the Greek Communist Party have a divergent opinion, it is good to see finally some voice (from the left) against the crisis.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 22:11
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Greece has voted 61-39 against the latest austerity package.  So the austerity time bomb that had been ticking away for ages has finally gone off.   We are now officially living in 'interesting' times.

yep... interesting times.  Sound like the ultimate game of chicken going on there.

I know Raff has been following it closely..  I've just been in passing. Interest level gone up many levels now...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 22:13
@GKR:  I am not a leftie;  I just think austerity is insane.  And this could spark the disintegration of the Eurozone if countries do not appear to be deriving any great benefit from being part of it.  That in itself is not a problem but what is is the possibility that some of these countries could then align with Russia/China.  Obama's foreign policy continues to be a disaster.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 22:25
Ok, Rogerthat, I roger that. (this NEED to be done) LOL

But I am a leftist, so... I'am happy by that and following everything with care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404405406407408 446>