Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 408409410411412 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 08:16
No, that the particular strain of conservative political ideology he represents is much more popular in Europe and for that matter certain Asian countries. The current Japanese government under Shinzô Abe seems to be coming from a similar set of ideals, despite having a much less tacky aesthetic.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 01 2015 at 08:20
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 05:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 02:48
I'm surprised there has not been any discussion about the Syrian refugee crisis in this thread at all. Here's an article clearing up the facts about what's going on. It looks like as is often the case, the available statistics don't square up against most of the popular narratives around the situation that circulate in the mass media.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 02:58
^ It certainly brings into focus modern realities and what countries will have to deal with sooner or later.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 01:14
One of my Facebook acquaintances, whom I'll let remain anonymous, commented this on the Syrian refugee crisis:

Quote It's a crisis, if not created, at least extremely exacerbated by the US. We have a habit of answering annoyances with bombs and drones, then complain when people run from our wars. ISIS was created in response to the vacuum we left in Iraq. The [Taliban] came about because we armed them to fight the Russians.

If we make the bed, we should sleep in it. Process as many refugees who want to come. I love that Turkey built an entire city for refugees, sounds like what we should be doing.

Thoughts?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 01:34
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

One of my Facebook acquaintances, whom I'll let remain anonymous, commented this on the Syrian refugee crisis:

Quote It's a crisis, if not created, at least extremely exacerbated by the US. We have a habit of answering annoyances with bombs and droneswas , then complain when people run from our wars. ISIS was created in response to the vacuum we left in Iraq. The [Taliban] came about because we armed them to fight the Russians.

If we make the bed, we should sleep in it. Process as many refugees who want to come. I love that Turkey built an entire city for refugees, sounds like what we should be doing.

Thoughts?

I dislike politics so much because for me most times there is no right or wrong, it depends on each others perspectives, circumstances and demographics even if they don't want to be part of any of this.

I do not condone any dictatorship even if the country and citizens were safer during that period, I not condone drone airstrikes because it makes them less personal and human accountable, also unfair and my biggest issue is that many innocent people are murdered and the accused too without trial.

I think the human cause for true refugees should be welcome by any country no matter what tax payers rate. War Refugees have seen their mother being raped and therafter being killed chopped into to pieces by machete and more cruelty beyond belief, those people survivors should be welcomed in any country.

Refugees for monetary gain however the taxpayers of the country should not bear their costs and they should be sent back to their countries, also some of the asylum seekers will never conform to western ideas which helped built those countries.

Edited by Kati - September 09 2015 at 01:36
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 01:38
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I'm surprised there has not been any discussion about the Syrian refugee crisis in this thread at all. Here's an article clearing up the facts about what's going on. It looks like as is often the case, the available statistics don't square up against most of the popular narratives around the situation that circulate in the mass media.
due to most countries not wanting Assad in power they enabled isis to exist and now we are dealing with the worst evil.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 04:58
Happy Hump day everyone Hug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 13:20
Speaking of the Syrian refugee crisis, I'm annoyed when news articles - even when ones I agree with like the one I just posted - call it "Europe's refugee crisis". I wager it's a bigger problem for Syria than for Europe...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 17:48
well done ladies!!!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 06:48
Well, congrats to the Labour party for finally getting something right.

I've been waiting so long.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 06:54
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Whether Corbin can win an election remains to be seen, and I have a strong suspicion that he cannot. However, I believe they have made the right choice of leader for the next five years in opposition and that is what really matters now. Onwards and upwards.

On a side note: my wife asked me who was the Lib Dems leader now, and all I could say was it's someone with a three letter name beginning with "T", Tom or Tim something-or-other. That doesn't bode well...
What?
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 07:37
At last - hope - Corbyn wins!  Honestly, me and the missus talked about leaving the place (the UK) as we are sick of Cameron and his hooray henries.  Jeremy is going to be crucified by the media - I hope he has the courage to stick to his ideals. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 08:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Whether Corbin can win an election remains to be seen, and I have a strong suspicion that he cannot. However, I believe they have made the right choice of leader for the next five years in opposition and that is what really matters now. Onwards and upwards.

On a side note: my wife asked me who was the Lib Dems leader now, and all I could say was it's someone with a three letter name beginning with "T", Tom or Tim something-or-other. That doesn't bode well...

Well, the Lib Dems can now hold their party conferences at Nandos without a reservation. I've no idea if Corbyn can win an election but he's clearly more electable than any of the *miserable* alternatives we were offered.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 08:35
The worry is that the right-wing press will slaughter him (it's already started) - and Tom Watson, the new deputy, took on the evil Murdoch empire.  But who knows, five years of Tory mis-rule later...
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 09:02
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

The worry is that the right-wing press will slaughter him (it's already started) - and Tom Watson, the new deputy, took on the evil Murdoch empire.  But who knows, five years of Tory mis-rule later...

Oh yeah, the attacks are well underway. They've aready played the 'anti semite card' and the terrorist sympathiser. Next it will be 'he's in the pocke of the Kremlin' It's very easy to predict how the attacks will go over the next five years.

Did you see the Panorama hit piece the other week? The establishment are clearly worried. They made the point that he has shared a platform with some dubious characters in all his anti war campaigning, but it's not really a criticism that holds water when you consier the dubious 'platforms' our leaders have shared over the years. If I were feeling very cynical I'd mention the MI6 plot to pay Al Queada militants in the 90's to attempt an assassination of Gadaffi, and the fact that we shared a 'platform' with Sinn Fein in trying to secure the Good Friday Agreement, but that would just be petty and childish, so I won't bother...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 09:21
Yes, 'hit piece' was a good way to describe it - although it obviously didn't have the intended impact...  I loved the way in his post-election speech he rounded on the press who attacked Miliband's father, etc. I genuinely believe he does not care what they think. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 18:25
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Oh yeah, the attacks are well underway. They've aready played the 'anti semite card' and the terrorist sympathiser. Next it will be 'he's in the pocke of the Kremlin' It's very easy to predict how the attacks will go over the next five years.

Did you see the Panorama hit piece the other week? The establishment are clearly worried. They made the point that he has shared a platform with some dubious characters in all his anti war campaigning, but it's not really a criticism that holds water when you consier the dubious 'platforms' our leaders have shared over the years. If I were feeling very cynical I'd mention the MI6 plot to pay Al Queada militants in the 90's to attempt an assassination of Gadaffi, and the fact that we shared a 'platform' with Sinn Fein in trying to secure the Good Friday Agreement, but that would just be petty and childish, so I won't bother...

Which is quite ironic because the Mail and Sun both had some really anti-semitic pieces about Ed Milliband.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 23:36
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 09:20
Just had to post this...too funny.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 408409410411412 446>