FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConcert Tickets do you feel ripped off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 16:50
last concert i went to was Umphrey's McGee in NYC, only $37 a ticket, which wasnt too bad IMO. They're not the biggest band in the world either, so i was able to get pretty close to the stage. I dont like big venues, big acts, especially if they play in a large venue where the sound is not good. i prefer small venues, small to relatively known bands, more intimate audience, etc.

plus all the big acts these days suck or are past their prime anyway.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 20:06
Smaller venues and intimate performances are the best and always have been in my concert attending experiences.  Then there was the 688 club...LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 13:16
Bob Dylan is doing a minor league ballpark tour with Wilie Nelson and John Mellencamp. $67.50 for tickets doesn't sound too bad. That's before Ticketb*****d bends you over though.
vuh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 14:59
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by vuh vuh wrote:

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

it's not like they are going to be any well less off if they charged 10 bucks less.

5,000 X $10 = $50,000.00

50,000 X $10 = $500,000.00

He said "Arena".Big smile

14,820 x $10 = $148, 200.00

He said "Rod Laver Arena". Big smile
vuh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 15:03
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

What I really object to is paying a booking fee per ticket when you've ordered them over the Internet, and then a fee on top of that. I mean, all they have to do now is post the Censored things.

I bought tickets to see The Specials and I was charged a fee to have them emailed to me!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 15:34

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I won't pay the prices anymore, nor do I wish to support Ticketmaster, who have helped to ruin the true concert experience of the old days.   Now I'm happier with a live DVD in my living room.  Cheaper, no parking nonsense, no security, no Ticketmaster. 

Agreed. It also sounds better, and comes with volume knob and pause button!Big smile

Yeah, plus you can have a few drinks without having to worry about driving. 

Remember the old days, when the kids who took the time to camp out on the sidewalks for 48 hours got the front row seats.....it was so cool staying overnight with a bunch of fans in sleeping bags, talking tunes and smoking cigs.....knowing that the the best seats were going to the hardest core fans.   No phone tix, no Internet, no $7 tickermaster fee.   You had to be there. 

Concerts were also much less orchestrated and predictable too.  Anything could happen at a show. 

moe_blunts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 15:35
Being a frequently stoned college student, I just can't afford some of the shows I wanna see.  My friend played $90 to see TooL...I don't have those kind of funds.

It doesn't matter though. I get to see my fair share of awesome shows.  Estradasphere was $10.  Sleepytime is $12 tomorrow.  Kayo Dot was $8...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 18:08

Plus if you're really dumb there is still the option of watching a prog DVD at home, getting drunk, and going out drunk driving afterward...

I suspect most people who have the intelligence to like prog will not do this. Tongue

If you are dumb enough to do that, we probably don't really want to know about it.

No, who am I kidding, tell us all about it...

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 02 2009 at 18:14
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 12:56

I won't pay the prices anymore, nor do I wish to support Ticketmaster, who have helped to ruin the true concert experience of the old days.   Now I'm happier with a live DVD in my living room.  Cheaper, no parking nonsense, no security, no Ticketmaster. 

Agreed. It also sounds better, and comes with volume knob and pause button!Big smile

Remember the old days, when the kids who took the time to camp out on the sidewalks for 48 hours got the front row seats.....it was so cool staying overnight with a bunch of fans in sleeping bags, talking tunes and smoking cigs.....knowing that the the best seats were going to the hardest core fans.   No phone tix, no Internet, no $7 tickermaster fee.   You had to be there. 

Concerts were also much less orchestrated and predictable too.  Anything could happen at a show

you can probably thank The Who for ruining it for everyone. Or at least their 70s crazy-ass fans
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 13:13
Originally posted by moe_blunts moe_blunts wrote:

Being a frequently stoned college student, I just can't afford some of the shows I wanna see.  My friend played $90 to see TooL...I don't have those kind of funds.

It doesn't matter though. I get to see my fair share of awesome shows.  Estradasphere was $10.  Sleepytime is $12 tomorrow.  Kayo Dot was $8...

Would have loved to have seen Sleepytime. Tell us about the show when you can.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 13:46
The concert was last night and it was nothing short of brilliant.

Sleepytime is very good to the city of Austin. They played twice here last year, but I only caught them once.  The previous venue I saw them at was rather cramped and not very accommodating.  They put on an alright show that time.

Last night, they played at a much better venue.  The stage was outside and there was plenty of room.  I was front and center...and holy sh*t was it awesome.  They had rather ridiculous stage lights.  They brought all their wacky homemade instruments as well.  There was this thing that was like a pedal steel guitar, the kind you would see at a country music concert, but instead it had bass strings. 

The most impressive member of the band is their percussionist who switches between playing all sorts of weird drums, xylophones, PRS guitars, trumpets and other stuff too.  The female violin player has such a wonderful voice and she can sing and simultaneously play.

The crowd was really into as well.  A small mosh pit formed but it was very tame and mostly just jumping and slight pushing.  Nothing too intense. 

They played a 2 hour set and had an encore with "The Donkey-headed Adversary of Humanity..."

Oh yea, it only cost $12.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 16:52
Not really. It only becomes a problem if you're fans of much bigger acts. Most concerts I go to are in the range of $8.00 - $12.00 for 3 hours of music. Can't complain. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 18:14
Originally posted by moe_blunts moe_blunts wrote:

The concert was last night and it was nothing short of brilliant.

Sleepytime is very good to the city of Austin. They played twice here last year, but I only caught them once.  The previous venue I saw them at was rather cramped and not very accommodating.  They put on an alright show that time.

Last night, they played at a much better venue.  The stage was outside and there was plenty of room.  I was front and center...and holy sh*t was it awesome.  They had rather ridiculous stage lights.  They brought all their wacky homemade instruments as well.  There was this thing that was like a pedal steel guitar, the kind you would see at a country music concert, but instead it had bass strings. 

The most impressive member of the band is their percussionist who switches between playing all sorts of weird drums, xylophones, PRS guitars, trumpets and other stuff too.  The female violin player has such a wonderful voice and she can sing and simultaneously play.

The crowd was really into as well.  A small mosh pit formed but it was very tame and mostly just jumping and slight pushing.  Nothing too intense. 

They played a 2 hour set and had an encore with "The Donkey-headed Adversary of Humanity..."

Oh yea, it only cost $12.

I wish that I could have known about their tour sooner, I would have gone to Chicago. I missed them the last time that they played St. Louis and I regret it. I think that my g/f would have liked that they play homemade instruments.

Good to hear that you had a good time.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 01:00
I bought some tickets for a Green Day show in Stockholm yesterday. They're a big mainstream act playing a big venue, so I was expecting to pay some 70-80 euros per ticket. Turned out that the most expensive tickets available were 525SEK, which is roughly 50 euros. They were all gone so I was left with two tickets adding up to a mere 75 euros. I paid that for one ticket to see AC/DC in Helsinki. A question for you Swedes out there, are concert tickets really that much cheaper over there or is it just this band?

But well, I've seen some of the best gigs of my life for about 3 to 5 euros.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 07:03
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Don't get me onto online 'booking fees' to 'cover administrative costs'

When we saw Rush a couple of years back I bought 6 tickets (which weren't too bad at £35 a pop) on the net in about 3 minutes... each one of them came with a £3.75 booking fee; I don;t see this as Rush's fault, more the venue itself (maybe Wembley have to pay high costs to maintain that marvellous echo from the back of the hall...)
Would that be the Rush gig where you got bounced to the front row by any chance?

Not that I'm still sore about it or anything. Angry LOL
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 07:21

It was a longer walk from the doors, I'll have you know

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 08:15
I just pretty much agree with all the comments.  RipOffMaster just hack me off so much, but what alternative do you have if you want to go to a "big" gig?  They've got us done like a kipper.

The only option is a smaller gig.  I went to see IQ at the end of last year and that was only £12, bought from the venue direct, and no goddam booking fee, credit card fee, admin. charge, postage, insurance, e-mail fee, farting fee, no surcharges whatever!
fil karada View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 13:36
Well I cant really complain. I just went to a festival in my country where I paid 70 euros to see 12 bands, including Focus and PFM

Some people find joy in knowledge. Some people find joy in ignorance. Some people just enjoy music.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 13:43
Originally posted by fil karada fil karada wrote:

Well I cant really complain. I just went to a festival in my country where I paid 70 euros to see 12 bands, including Focus and PFM

I don't know how much 70 Euros is but I am feeling extremely jealous. TongueLOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 13:45
I'm seeing Opeth and Enslaved in a couple of weeks for $25. That is a very reasonable price. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>