Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Zorn RIP? False Alarm In Article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Zorn RIP? False Alarm In Article
    Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:07
I just read in Harper's Magazine that John died but hadn't seen any threads on it.  Rather long essay in the May edition...

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 01 2009 at 18:55
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:09
Wikipedia doesn't know about it, thus it isn't true.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:10
Are you sure it's the John we know, cause I didn't pick anything on the Internet about this (Wikipedia, official site, etc.)?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:13
I can't find anything on the internet about this.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:16
As I read further and did some internet checking, this is not actually true just a not too amusing opening line to the essay.  It's a good essay though from what I've read so far.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 01 2009 at 11:42
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:19
His myspace page says he last logged in yesterday.  Pretty tough for a dead guy.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 11:28
"Saxophonist and composer John Zorn was found dead last night in his Manhattan apartment, a victim of his own success."  And then as I'm skimming through, it did seem to be a biographical piece.  The essay was for the purposes of discussing one book on his career and three Arcana books edited by Zorn.  Sorry if I caused any alarm. Embarrassed

I should have known something was funny as I'm pretty sure I would have heard it here first. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 01 2009 at 15:03
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 13:09
I almost died a little inside there..
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 15:02
Well, since I didn't see one yet, perhaps we should turn this into a Zorn appreciation thread?  After everyone gets over the panic my thread caused.  I only looked by 6 months so I might have missed one.  I'm still really just getting to know him, but I finished the article and it sounds like I should get to know John's music better.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 15:12
I think Zorn won't be done with business in this world at least until the 100th Filmwork. WinkLOL

I have no clue how Zorn's music sounds, but since I'm thinking of chasing down Filmworks XXIII for this year's prog collection, it might be the perfect time to actually try some of his other stuff too.
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 15:19
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I have no clue how Zorn's music sounds, but since I'm thinking of chasing down Filmworks XXIII for this year's prog collection, it might be the perfect time to actually try some of his other stuff too.

Check out Naked City first, Rico. I think you'll find much to love about that group.Wink

As far as music under Zorn's name is concerned, I'd check out either Spillane or The Bribe, very very cool albums the both of them.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 15:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well, since I didn't see one yet, perhaps we should turn this into a Zorn appreciation thread?  After everyone gets over the panic my thread caused.  I only looked by 6 months so I might have missed one.  I'm still really just getting to know him, but I finished the article and it sounds like I should get to know John's music better.

If nothing else, you should probably edit your first post to change the thread title before Zorn shows up and sees it. It could very well be enough to shock the poor fellow enough to make this thread a sort of prophecy.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 15:26
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If nothing else, you should probably edit your first post to change the thread title before Zorn shows up and sees it. It could very well be enough to shock the poor fellow enough to make this thread a sort of prophecy.

Well I did add the "?"LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 01 2009 at 18:38
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 15:33
Wtf don't scare us like that. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 17:21
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

I almost died a little inside there..

Ditto.  Cry

been listening to Xaphan;  book of angels vol. 9 by Secret Chiefs 3.... great stuff.  I want to venture into Zorn's filmworks territory, but I am unsure where to start....  Love the guy, his label, and just about everything associated with him/the label!
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 17:35
Even if I didn't knew any of his HUGE discography I felt really sorry when I saw the title. Luckily it was a misunderstanding.

Any John Zorn recomendations for a newb?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 18:37
Apologies again to any fans I worried.

Was hoping Harper's would have a readable article to link to, but:

Last man standing:
The acquisitive music of John Zorn

By Joshua Cohen

Joshua Cohen’s most recent novel is A Heaven of Others. Another novel, Graven Imaginings, will be published next year.

Discussed in this essay:

John Zorn: Tradition and Transgression, by John Brackett. Indiana University Press. 218 pages. $24.95.

Arcana: Musicians on Music, edited by John Zorn. Granary Books/Hips Road. 380 pages. $34.95.

Arcana II: Musicians on Music, edited by John Zorn. Hips Road. 298 pages. $34.95.

Arcana III: Musicians on Music, edited by John Zorn. Hips Road. 250 pages. $34.95.

Sorry—the full text of this item is only available to Harper's Magazine subscribers. Subscribe today for as little as $16.97 per year!

Already a subscriber? Register your subscription. Already registered? Log in at the top of this page.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

brainerd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 19:00
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Seconded!

I'm familiar with the Naked City stuff, but I'm getting more into classical/compositional music recently. And well, Zorn's discography is so huge that I have no idea where to start.
The album Music In Suspended Light sounds the most intriguing to me at this point but I've read mixed reviews. Any ideas anyone?
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 21:44
Originally posted by brainerd brainerd wrote:

Seconded!

I'm familiar with the Naked City stuff, but I'm getting more into classical/compositional music recently. And well, Zorn's discography is so huge that I have no idea where to start.
The album Music In Suspended Light sounds the most intriguing to me at this point but I've read mixed reviews. Any ideas anyone?

If you like Naked City, I would recommend acquiring the Naked City Boxset (complete studio recordings)....then from there, get the Painkiller boxset (somewhat similar in sound/style).. Spillane is great...  The Big Gundown is an awesome homage/tribute/covers album to Ennio Morricone (who is a genius in his own right).  Masada and any of it's incarnations are awesome!  Electric Masada (at the mouth of madness 2cd) is an awesome electric fusion band that reminds me of Mahavishnu Orchestra in many ways.  All of the birthday celebration stuff is killer!  Also all of the projects with Trevor Dunn/Mike Patton/Joey Baron are essential (imo):  Astronome, Moonchild, Six litanies for heliogabalus, The Crucible (all have the core duo of Mike Patton/Trevor Dunn...) Spy Vs. Spy: The music of Ornette Coleman- is a must have!  It features Zorn and Tim Berne (a great avant garde sax player) duelling with a bassist and TWO punk rock drummers!  absolutely Manic and out of control and just Insanely Great.

I have yet to find a bad Zorn/Tzadik disc.

check it out:

and:

enjoy!
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 01:23

Even if I didn't knew any of his HUGE discography I felt really sorry when I saw the title. Luckily it was a misunderstanding.

Given your tastes, or my understanding of them anyway I would check out The Circle Maker first and then maybe look into some of his filmworks. The Rain Horse was particularly good.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>