Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuckethead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 21:42
Ivan's just arguing, what's the big deal?  His points are no worse than anyone else's-- he's making an argument, as have several others in this thread.. if that pisses you off, deal with it.  Without this sort of detailed, obsessive debate, PA would lose an important part of how things are decided; the tension and different views are a healthy thing, not a bad one.  Plus this place would get mighty boring without it, and at least Ivan has the balls to discuss something even though he knows he's not an authority on Buckethead.  That takes guts.

You don't like what's being said?  Then oppose it with crushing knowledge and deft wit.. destroy your opponent's argument and you won't have to destroy him.

PS;  this is not directed at Admin or any other individual, just my observations about this thread generally. 

Edited by Atavachron - May 16 2009 at 21:45
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 22:00
Sorry I'm interrupting a heated flame war with a post that's on topic. Wink

Anyways, my opinion on Buckethead:

He has some very accessible metal with tons of regular shredding stuff. But he also has tons of avant-garde stuff as well as incredibly beautiful clean electric music.

I doubt many people here have heard the albums Funnel Weaver, Bucketheadland, or Bucketheadland II (admittedly, I have only heard most of the albums in parts). But from what I've heard, they would fit like a glove in avant-prog.

Also check out albums like Population Override. Beautiful album. Not sure it would count for post rock, but it's incredibly good. I feel like PO is definetely a prog album.

Even some of his more well known albums have avant-garde or eclectic qualities. If you ask me, he should fit into progressive metal, because he is a metal artist with tons of progressive and avant garde ideas. Now, I know from reading the posts that he should not be progressive metal. He has tons of eclectic qualities, so I bet even there would be a great fit for him. And if any of the avant-prog listeners heard the albums that I have already talked about, I'm sure they would add him to that category.

In any event, I beleive there are 3 categories that I named that he would fit well into. Others suggest experimental/post metal, which would also fit him well. He already has several prog albums (one progressive album allows an artist in PA).

I've said all that I might ever have to say in this thread.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 22:17
Thanks david, just want to leave my position clear:

1. I don't know if Buckethead is a Prog Metal artist, that I've said since the start.
    1. If he's added to Prog Metal it's OK with me, I trust the team
    2. If he's not added to Prog Metal, it's OK with me, I trust the team
  2. I believe as most of the music listening world, that Buckethead is a Metal artist, as argument I bring this links
    1. http://www.metalunderground.com/bands/details.cfm?bandid=3307 (Metla Underground)
    2. http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=2706&page=&message_id= (Metal Storm)
    3. http://www.metalsymphony.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=475 (Metal symphony Website)
    4. etc
  3. I believe that any Prog artist related to Metal, must go in Prog Metal, Tech Extreme Metal or Experimental Prog Metal
  4. The Prog Metal Team has rejected him repeatedly.
  5. Despite being rejected repeatedly, a case has been started again, something I don't agree with, but it's not my call.
  6. Prog Metal team insists he's not suitable for their team
  7. Now people has started to find alternative ubication for him, beacuse they want him here.

Nº 7 is my problem, Metal artists should go to Prog Metal, there are already 3 Prog Metal sub-genres (three times any sub-genre) that cover all the spectrum, this is not a Prog Metal site exclusively to have Metal artists in PM and other teams because some people believe he deserves to be here.

So, despite he has been rejected repeatedly, if PMT accepts him, i have absolutely no problem, I wouid shut my mouth as I always do when an artist is added, but if we start to add Metal or Folk or Symphonic artists in other genres just because we want them here at any cost, then I have a problem.

I don't need to be an authority on Bucketheat to know that a metal artiost will go most likely to Prog Metal is admited, that's simple LOGIC.

This IMHO would affect the credibility of the ste and would clearly be an excuse to add an artist at any cost.

That's all my problem, and whenever I believe something affects the credibility opf Prog Archives, i will talk, because I care more about Prog and Prog Archives than about any individual artist or my lack of popularity with some people.

Believe me, it's easier to close your eyes and say "What the heck, I don't listen that music", but somebody has to care for the site.

Just to end, if some people want free way to add an artist  and no opposition, a FORUM is not the right place for them, this is a place to discuss..

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 16 2009 at 22:23

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 22:20
Ivan, you lasted a whole 3 hoursStern Smile. I'm sure you can have more restraint than that.
I don't think Tony's 24 hour period was a big ask.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 22:28
I believe a peaceful post explaining  a position that incredibly has little relation with Buckethead as a musician was necessary.

I been called barbaric, childish, troll ,etc, without having chance tio deffend myself,  but I haven't or won't reply to that

I don't believe anybody will feel offended with this post, unless he sees the name and doesn't read it, that's all I have to say about the issue.

Iván

EDIT: There's no need to restrain, the thread was closed and opened again, and BTW, I talked with Tony R by PM about the issue and he knows I won't create a problem or reply to insults.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 16 2009 at 22:34

topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 22:35
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I believe that any Prog artist related to Metal, must go in Prog Metal, Tech Extreme Metal or Experimental Prog Metal

Now people has started to find alternative ubication for him, beacuse they want him here.

Nº 7 is my problem, Metal artists should go to Prog Metal, there are already 3 Prog Metal sub-genres (three times any sub-genre) that cover all the spectrum, this is not a Prog Metal site exclusively to have Metal artists in PM and other teams because some people believe he deserves to be here

These are a few points you have, which are well made points.

However, we already have metal related bands in non-metal categories, like Ulver and Fantomas. Although you'd like to beleive that metal bands should only go in metal categories, it wouldn't be against PA policies to put Buckethead in other categories (eclectic is a good pick IMO, Avant-prog works I think too).

Besides, Buckethead has tons of non-metal music. Don't base Buckethead on albums like "Enter the Chicken", because he has music in lots of categories, including lots of standard rock (and prog, in many's opinion). He is strongly related to the metal community because of his "shredder" status, but he is also very eclectic.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 22:46

Toposfm, I'm not familiar withn Ulver, but I'm with Fantomas, as a fact Bryan Adair and myself were the ones who inducted this band in 2004 and 2005, and they go far beyond Prog Metal, as a fact they went DIRECTLY to Avant

Just one last thing.

If an artist is suggested DIRETLY orAternatively  to more than one team I believe he may belong in two different sites, but please, Buckethead has been suggested repeatedly  and directly to Prog Metal, and only after the repeated rejections an alternative is being searched, the consequence is logic.

In the specific case of Metal, i believe all those additions were made before Prog Metal split, things have changed since then,   I believe now that they got what they required, the widest spectrum in Prog Archives, enough is enough, if we are going to have three times Metal genres plus Metal bands everywhere, this will pass to be a Prog Metal site mainly.

But please, i want to avoid the issue, some ask me to shut up, others make me talk.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 16 2009 at 22:57

AlbertMond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 23:50
Buckethead's great, I think. Really, he crosses genres a lot, but I think he definitely at least touches on prog.
Promotion so blatant that it's sad:
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 05:54
I re-opened this thread as I expected my request to be honoured. Lesson learnt.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 06:59
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Sorry I'm interrupting a heated flame war with a post that's on topic. Wink

Anyways, my opinion on Buckethead:

He has some very accessible metal with tons of regular shredding stuff. But he also has tons of avant-garde stuff as well as incredibly beautiful clean electric music.

I doubt many people here have heard the albums Funnel Weaver, Bucketheadland, or Bucketheadland II (admittedly, I have only heard most of the albums in parts). But from what I've heard, they would fit like a glove in avant-prog.

Also check out albums like Population Override. Beautiful album. Not sure it would count for post rock, but it's incredibly good. I feel like PO is definetely a prog album.

Even some of his more well known albums have avant-garde or eclectic qualities. If you ask me, he should fit into progressive metal, because he is a metal artist with tons of progressive and avant garde ideas. Now, I know from reading the posts that he should not be progressive metal. He has tons of eclectic qualities, so I bet even there would be a great fit for him. And if any of the avant-prog listeners heard the albums that I have already talked about, I'm sure they would add him to that category.

In any event, I beleive there are 3 categories that I named that he would fit well into. Others suggest experimental/post metal, which would also fit him well. He already has several prog albums (one progressive album allows an artist in PA).

I've said all that I might ever have to say in this thread.

I went on a Buckethead binge when I first got into him and have all of those.  Then I realized it was a bit futile due to his huge discography.  Plus some of his more metal efforts kind of wore me out.

Albums not mentioned I would recommend to the average prog fan who hasn't tried him:
Giant Robot - the guy's obviously a huge sci-fi fan.
Electric Tears - waaay too mellow for your average metal fan.  I wouldn't classify Population Override as "beautiful".  This one is.
Monsters and Robots - probably my fav.  It's got Les.  Les is more. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 17 2009 at 07:01
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 09:59
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I re-opened this thread as I expected my request to be honoured. Lesson learnt.

Tony, I received no request and i talked with you, I have always and withou exception accepted your requests (you know that) and absolutely always honored my word.

Plus my post was to avoid any further problem, what as a fact happened.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 17 2009 at 10:01

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 10:56
Three pages and a lot of heated debate into this matter, I just wanna reiterate that Epignosis has brought the issue of Buckethead being added to the Eclectic Team, being himself a member, and we ask everyone to give us the time to evaluate the artist properly. 
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 17:31
*Bump*

I just recently discovered Buckethead, not even through the archives, but he certainly sounds like prog to me.  I respect the admins decision though.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 19:05
I like the album "colma" by buckethead......just saying, I could handle buckethead being here, but if he is not here I can still listen to "colma" and never ever even wonder if somebody else thinks it is prog rock, peoples get so uptight if their bands do not get admitted to the site, buckethead is too busy to care probably, maybe he has to go down to kfc and score more buckets, do you think it is weird he wears a bucket on his head?
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 19:33
It's how he gets his name, if he took it off he'd be 'head' which is weird.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 05:00

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

It's how he gets his name, if he took it off he'd be 'head' which is weird.

Were Kiss still Kiss after they stopped using lipsticks ?

Were Floyd still Floyd after Waters departed ?

The name which was can remain even after he'll do such atrocity. I hope he won't do it.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 22:32
since someone else brought up the dreaded Buckethead topic again i just thought i'd add one variation
Mr B is both on the MMA as metal related and JMA as jazz related
Jazz and metal together seems like prog to me
That's it
Bye!
Censored
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 11:55
Buckethead is already here in spots. Octave Of The Holy Innocents comes to mind first.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 12:33
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Three pages and a lot of heated debate into this matter, I just wanna reiterate that Epignosis has brought the issue of Buckethead being added to the Eclectic Team, being himself a member, and we ask everyone to give us the time to evaluate the artist properly. 

And...???  Embarrassed
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:20
It's not if he should be added,but to what genre.The man has released like 30 albums so far this year,and a lot of them aren't metal.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>