Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhenry cow "Studio" box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: henry cow "Studio" box
    Posted: May 15 2009 at 14:11

Does anyone have any details (as to the dates of the remastering) on the third HC box "the Studio"?  Are these studio discs newly remastered?

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 14:13
It's an empty box.

It's purpose is to put your remastered studio albums in.

You can actually but the Third box with the Studio albums as well, if you do not have them already.

The remastered albums have been out for quite some time.
British Tradition View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 15:50
I'll tell you what's written about the remastering in the CD booklets. I got all of the CDs with the box. Didn't buy them separately. Very little is said about years but here are the p (sound copyright sign) dates. Legend has written on it, p rermegacorp 1998, Unrest; 1999, In Praise Of Learning; 2000 and Western Culture; 2001. Desperate Straits says p rermegacorp 2004.

Legend (The Original Mix) - "for this reissue thanks to Steve Feigenbaum and Bill Sharp"
Unrest (Remastered) "remastered and prepared for this release by Matt Murman at SAE"
In Praise Of Learning (Original Mix) "remastered and prepared for this release by Matt Murman at SAE"
Western Culture (There is no information about this one in the sleeve so I assume that there were no poor remasters of it in the past or this is the first time it's been on CD.
Desperate Straits - "this reissue from the original tapes, carefully remastered by Bob Drake 2004"

I think these are the remasters/mixes to get. I know that Legend in particular had a dodgy mix on the previous CD (not released by RER) and I assume In Praise Of Learning did as well because it's the only other one that specifies original mix on the side of the CD case.

I've listened to them a lot and it seems as though Rer didn't succumb to the loudness war at all. You really have to turn your volume up on these CDs. It's fantastic, so dynamic.

Hope this helps
nat health View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 10:39
Many thanks for the info.  I'll have to check the dates on my cd's.  I know that I have ReR releases of Legend and Unrest that are fairly recent.  It sounds like I might have to seek out their versions of IPOL and Western Culture.  I guess I was hoping they all might have gotten a facelift for the 40th box release.  I've been listening to boxes 1 & 2 alot (usually by candlelight!)  Some fantastic stuff in there! 
Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply