FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Mars Volta - Philly 5/1/05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mars Volta - Philly 5/1/05
    Posted: May 04 2005 at 00:19

Im not very good @ writing reviews so this will be short.

First off i just want to say that this show actually topped Yessymphonic(and i never ever ever thought that would happen).  By far the best show ive ever seen in my life...the muscianship of the band is unnmatched to EVERYTHING that is out there now.  THis is a MUST SEE SHOW.  The show had 2 songs going over the 30 minute mark(one of them being 38).  They jammed out and improved alot and actually did a very good job on it.  Listen guys...love or hate them please go see them.  It will change your life.

www.myspace.com/thepianowar
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:13
Good to hear Bob, good to hear...be seeing them tonight AND tomorrow night.  It seems they've determined a steadfast setlist though which is a pity in one regard (I'd love to see Miranda, Televators, Frances, Eunuch, or Eriatarka thrown in...but why complain?) but I get Salsa master Larry Harlow openin as well tonight!  Least I was under the impression he'll be here tonight in NYC...Cinco de Mayo and a blistering accompanied version of L'via no doubt!!  I wonder how both show'll compare, I'll let ya know.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 14:57

NYC 5/5 Roseland Show:

Well...overall I have to say I enjoyed them last night; however, they are such a loose, jam/improvisation band that sometimes seriously NO ONE holds down the music which can = atonal, arhythmical, w**kery/self-indulgent/"experimental" noise a la some heinous "hard/grind-core" bands and NOT in a good way.  BUT this may, and I'm hoping this is an apt scapegoat, be due to my posistioning which was pretty close to the front in addition to some perhaps poorly miced drums.  Drunkship's opening not only made me slightly deaf but literally pushed me back and made me feel like I developed an ulser it was so loud at times; felt like my cuticles were practically popping in my face too.  I was seriously contemplating leaving had not the pain subsided...a rather bizarre phenomenon that I'm glad dissipated shortly thereafter.   

Performance wise I couldn't hear Juan Arlette or Ikey and when I could they were playing very simply, it sounded like Jon Theodor's drums were miced dreadfully, Omar R-L was ripping and dominated the mix and the performance for the most part, Cedric B-Z was ridiculous in a good way, and the two percussionists/sax/flautist were decent too.  Set-list was pretty much the same as it's been for the past 8 shows.  We also got Larry Harlow (album's salsa keyboardist "legend") on L'via which was an awesome treat and one of the show's highlights.  I also saw Serj from System Of A Down walking around up in the balcony section heh.

Round Two tonight....and I'm staying in the back...because one more thing, my god was that crowd abominable...moshing/writhing their bodies and NOT LISTENING (I find that either a lot of people just don't know when a song isn't over or they were just THAT impressed by a section...dunno) and what not.  Tried to stay in my own world and listen but at times...seriously unbearable and obnoxious.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 00:08

NYC 5/6 Roseland:

I love responding to my own messages, but tonight's show was a bit better than last night's.  Omar was better the first night, and a bit off here and there during L'via but it was otherwise the same show.  My abounding problems in my last post were remedied by NOT BEING ANYWHERE CLOSE TO THE FRONT. Concertina and Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt were switched and the segues between tracks were a bit different.  Not too sure that Cassandra Gemini is pulled off very well live and this night there wasn't any dueling sax and guitar solo sections in it   ...but still pretty pretty pretty good, pretty good.

Much better sonically due to my location (second stage in VIP section; bribed one of the security guards ) and overall I can say that without a doubt see these guys live they're pretty f**king awesome.

Post Reply Post Reply