Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy such a prog taste ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why such a prog taste ?
    Posted: May 28 2009 at 13:00
Hello again, I hope it will not be taken as spam, I just has a lot of from prog related themes on my mind. You know, when you don't have sex for few months, you are in need for releasing, same with me - because of my school business, I wasn't able to be here on this forum.

Only forum I visit regulary, because this one is worth of it. When prog music is one's life, then it's really needed.

Well, I was checking top albums from year 2009.
1) I've tried The Ichthyologist by Giant Squid. But what was my surprise when I found that this is really not my cup of tea. Not only this was absolutely unharmonical to me, I don't feel only one reason to return back to this album. Rating here on progarchives, fact that a lot of people rated it very high
2) This isn't only thing, I've also listened to Guy Manning's Number Ten. This is different, in this album I found one of the most accessible albums I've ever heard. He has good voice, lyrics are, well, funny and suitable. Music is catchy, but still it's prog music, so no shame of listening to catchy pop songs.
3)Dream Theater's new album - oh my god, their probably best thing.

Any idea why this taste ? Why I hate such a good rated album ? I also can't take Deloused in Comatorium and Trout Mask Replica. On the other hand, I love Foxtrot or Dark Side of the Moon.

EDIT June 2010 - NOT ANYMORE

Edited by Marty McFly - June 19 2010 at 04:24
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 13:05
Originally posted by MartyMcFly89 MartyMcFly89 wrote:

Any idea why this taste ? Why I hate such a good rated album ? I also can't take Deloused in Comatorium and Trout Mask Replica. On the other hand, I love Foxtrot or Dark Side of the Moon.

Well, the ones you hate and the ones you love are so completely different.  It's an example of your particular taste.  Myself, I'd choose Deloused over Foxtrot every time.

"Prog" is a pretty huge umbrella, particularly as it is defined or agreed upon at this site.  Almost everyone has tastes which seem to favor certain subgenres and exclude certain others.  In particular, Capt. Beefheart and the Mars Volta are bands which are just not going to appeal to everyone, whereas Genesis and Pink Floyd are giants of the scene because they enjoy a wide appeal.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 13:57
There's no accounting for taste.

As simple as that.Big smile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 14:12
Also, the year's not even half over and I see there's no Umphrey's McGee Mantis.  That one might be more to your taste.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 15:45
Tommorow, I'll check it. This evening, I found myself almost in tears after listening these sad parts of The Best of Times from DT new album. It's on youtube, so it's accessible.

I like nice melodies, but it have to have complex structure (prog structure) inside. This is why death metal gets out my mind instantly, same as a lot of harder prog metal.

But as I wrote in my review for Trout, I love Frank Zappa. These two should be similar, right ? I know, Zappa is far more popular (but still weird as in his beggining, and that's good). Or Moon Safari, it's almost unknown, but when I get unknown album and it gets my attention, then I can listen to it.

So I dislike not-so-easy-accessible music, does this makes me worse somehow ? For sure I miss some experience by this, but except it, am I worse, more pop (popular, catchy, accessible) orientated ?
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 15:47
Originally posted by MartyMcFly89 MartyMcFly89 wrote:

So I dislike not-so-easy-accessible music, does this makes me worse somehow ?

Of course not!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 15:53
You like what you like, and thank heavens for that! We should not feel pressured into being ashamed of our tastes. I'd take De-Loused over Foxtrot too, but this doesn't mean I always like the more 'difficult' option. Tastes are a very personal thing, and no one should be allowed to make us feel bad about what we like. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 16:07

You don't have to like something simply because a lot of people say you should.  It's your ears, not theirs.  If we're in exploring mode, though, we may want to hear what people are praising, if nothing else, to see what the big deal is all about.  I myself would take Foxtrot over De-loused any day.  Is something wrong with me, now that at least two others have said the opposite?  Of course not.

One of the things I like about this site, although at first I thought it strange, is the diversity of the artists included.  We don't have to like just one category.  We don't have to like all of them.  Maybe it's only a couple, or possibly most of them.  Either way, it's just fine. 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 09:51

IF You want to get into more complicated stuff. It is often better to pick out a few tracks from the artist that sounds more familier to the music you otherwise like, and then move on from there. Than trying out hole albums.

That is off course only if you want too.
Listning to a specific style of music, wont make you a better person.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 09:52
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

IF You want to get into more complicated stuff. It is often better to pick out a few tracks from the artist that sounds more familier to the music you otherwise like, and then move on from there. Than trying out hole albums.

That is off course only if you want too.
Listning to a specific style of music, wont make you a better person.

Personaly i HATE VDGG, but love all the other classics
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 21:02
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You like what you like, and thank heavens for that! We should not feel pressured into being ashamed of our tastes. I'd take De-Loused over Foxtrot too, but this doesn't mean I always like the more 'difficult' option. Tastes are a very personal thing, and no one should be allowed to make us feel bad about what we like. 

Well said

I honestly don't know what makes my musical tastes... Probably my dad bringing me up on YES, GENESIS and ELP.

But
Nowadays I'm into Prog which I never thought I'd end up in love with, like MAUDLIN OF THE WELL.

Funny thing is, I don't mind that someone else hates my taste. I will bite back, but at the end of the day, my preffered music is usually better. (also quite a broad statement)

PS: In saying "my preffered music is usually better", I meant that statement towards people who listen to Britney Spears and what not.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 19:00

I learned to appreciate different forms of music. Except few genres where I still have problems (difficult genres), I basically like them all. And even in these problematic ones I'm making progress (thanks to people who suggested me bands to start with).

It's nothing forced. Only thing I'm forcing is that I want to be open minded. However, human mind is lazy and it would like to listen the same album over and over again. This is something I don't want, I want to explore new horizons, new lands of Prog. As variable as possible.

:-)

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 23:52
Man, Marty, you're so mainstream, learn to Avant Garde

Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 04:25
Originally posted by Captain Clutch Captain Clutch wrote:

Big smile

Colin, man, it's a sloooooow process you know. On the other hand, if you would like to hear a thing or two about Czech Avant Garde and RIO (in this case Rock in Opposition to government), just PM me and I can help to enrich your knowledge in something different.

Because lately, I've been listening mostly CZ Avant.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Fusionman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 06:12
Originally posted by Captain Clutch Captain Clutch wrote:

Big smile

Yes Marty...what "underground" and "hidden" prog ventures should he delve into...Gentle Giant...Gong?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 06:58

^ I heard Gong ? This band makes me scream a lot. I know that it's childish, but I once went to their profile here on PA and saw one album featuring nude man in woman position. I don't feel strong enough to get over this picture.

Maybe this was different band, but who knows. 

Talking about being brave enough :-D

By the way, Gentle Giant is OK.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Fusionman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 07:15
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

^ I heard Gong ? This band makes me scream a lot. I know that it's childish, but I once went to their profile here on PA and saw one album featuring nude man in woman position. I don't feel strong enough to get over this picture.

I was joking about Captain Crunches generic list on his LastFM.  Though, admittedly while on my signature mine hasn't been updated in at least 5 years I think...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 08:01

Gong made you scream a lot?  Sounds like fun.  My big entrance into Gong was the Pierre Moerlen version.  I liked it verrrry much.

This one:

I did read that Daevid Allen considers the versions of Gong that he didn't participate in to be just as much Gong.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 19 2010 at 08:07
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 08:22

LOLLOLLOL
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 08:48
I am forced to go and listen to this Gong album.  I hope you all are happy. Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>