This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 00:15

Originally posted by FloydWright FloydWright wrote:

Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

Yes, of course I was joking about the “hormone” thing. A woman my age can’t get around the subject easily (believe me: those “flashes of aggression” aren’t just a teenage thing...

[EDIT]

Ayreon's also cool, but I think you said earlier in the thread you've already discovered them...good!

[EDIT]

[EDIT]

Oh and I really like Ayreon - Just one or two albums to get to complete my collection - Discovered them 2 years ago through a Dutch friend of mine (also a forum member) - he is totally mad on them. Brilliant music !!

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 07:44
Male, middle aged and proud, soon to be;

Male, old aged and flaccid

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Vicky Garten View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:30

Now what I wonder...how rare is it to have a female who is both proghead AND metalhead?

not too rare ! - I know of more !!

Confusion will be my epitaph
Vicky Garten View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:40

Complex time signatures are what rocks my boat & add mellatron, moog & hammond watch me orbit the moon. However there are time when you just have to scare the cats & stick on motorhead, deep purple etc & let rip !

I must say that going to prog gigs is great - so easy for a short girl to be able to get to the front to be really able to relish the instrumental acrobatics. When we went to see Focus Jim did not see me all night, found a great spot to see & was looked after by a really great bunch of guys with drink & fags !.

I feel that women do need to let themselves step away from all the commercial rubbish that is piped down the airwaves and allow themselves to enjoy music and forget that it is stepping into the perceived "boy zone" !

Confusion will be my epitaph
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 09:45
According to Mac, the politically incorrect lead singer with Threshold, not only are their fanbase all blokes, he often moans about the fact that they are all ugly, into the bargain.  As he often says at their gigs: "You know, there really ought to be more women at these gigs.  We need to hire them and ship 'em in especially, and shove them in the front row... I mean, have you seen this lot down here?  I should be paid more for having to stand up here at look at their faces all night."
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Bellringer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 20:35
ATTENTION:  Bellringer is not only female, but is single and LOOKING.  Prefers Brits 40 and older.  Christian would be nice (which probably eliminates just about everyone otherwise qualified).  I prefer English seventies prog (preferably early seventies) of many types.  And I, too, like Gentle Giant (I love what they do with vocals, especially).  For me, however, Floyd still rules (looking for boots of early stuff-- can I say that on here?).
Psalm 69:6
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 06:59
Ben2112

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 May 2005 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Report Post Quote Ben2112

Alucard is a woman?!?!? A female who likes Gentle Giant?

I think I'm in love...

Sorry Ben, I am just a heterosexual, beerdrinking , slightly neurotic male. And to make thinks even more Cliché : my girlfriend can't stand Prog... or to be more precise she can't stand complexe rhythm changes and distorted instruments, which makes her allergic to let's say 60% of Rock and 95% of Prog(.She likes Van Morrison and Peter Gabriel so).On the other hand she likes sex and beer, nobody is perfect. In the beginning of our relationship, in a kind of desperate crusade for the only good music, I made her listen to a lot of Zappa and GG with a desastrous resultat.. From time to time I cheat a little bit, I put on "I believe in father Christmas" and she would say Hey that's nice, who is it and I say just a crooner called Greg Lake. Yesterday I put on "Tubular bells", it is OK up to the beginning of the fuzz guitar on side one and then  I hear the kitchen door close. Later in the evening I put on Pendragon "Masquerade Ouverture"... and she didn't realized it was Prog, the door stayed open.

PS :Ben,  I don't want to deceive you, but if you want a lover who listens to GG, you either change sides or become a monk.

Hiwatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 09:19

True, i havent found woman, who really likes prog. Perhaps only something from Genesis, Yes, but i like more dissonant and dark prog. On the other side, i know many women, who like jazz, blues and classic rock and 70s hardrock too.

But its really funny, when you come home with girl from date with romantic mood and you beginn to listen to Dun "Eros" for example . I tried it once and it was really funny, how she stared at me, as i was a psychopat .

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 11:42
I guess there just aren't enough ladies with my musical tastes to go around!

I have the feeling I'd actually be more likely to shock a boyfriend with what I listen to, than the other way around.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:02
Originally posted by Hiwatter Hiwatter wrote:

True, i havent found woman, who really likes prog. Perhaps only something from Genesis, Yes, but i like more dissonant and dark prog. On the other side, i know many women, who like jazz, blues and classic rock and 70s hardrock too.

But its really funny, when you come home with girl from date with romantic mood and you beginn to listen to Dun "Eros" for example . I tried it once and it was really funny, how she stared at me, as i was a psychopat .

and what happened next?
abyssyinfinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 16:51
Simply, for women music is a way for dancing or better moving the ass ; do you know danceable prog?
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 21:05
Rather a generalised statement don't you think?

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

FloydWright View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 00:10
Indeed.

I admit I've been known to do some dancing to prog...hey, it DOES work with some tracks (think "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II"), but that's NOT why I listen to prog. It's really narrow to imply that all women are that shallow and that the whole world for them comes down to their bodies. Keep that attitude up and you'll probably find yourself fetching exactly the kind of low woman you're stereotyping, because those area the only ones who'll be willing to date you after all the smart ones have run away.

Plus, I have more self-respect than to inflict my pathetic excuse for dancing upon the eyes of the world.

Edited by FloydWright
felixxx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 05:50
I am a man, but i like to wear my girlfriends pantyhose is that bad??
Sekkyoku View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 07:49

Music is not gender-related, nor is anything else. Except for perhaps giving birth to babies. 

One of the reasons to why most prog-listeners are male is because most musicians are male, and that is because women have always been opressed by men, and because women are often 
not allowed, for one reason or another, to explore their music intellect to the same degree. 

It is still not fully accepted in society for women to play rock-related instruments, because of the way it has always been. The society does not consider it 'feminin' to play/listen to rock. A lot of women, but not all fortunately, follow the 'rules', without knowing. 

It has nothing to do with genetic differencies in the mind between men and women; women as a group is of course not genetically different from men when it comes to taste of music.
It is all about the ´rules´ of society.  

Take care now.

Sekkyoku (male)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:55
Originally posted by abyssyinfinity abyssyinfinity wrote:

Simply, for women music is a way for dancing or better moving the ass ; do you know danceable prog?

OK, According to poll for 90% of the women, not all women, my past girlfriend knew John Petrucci and my actual girlfriend was a groupie in a lot of Black Metal groups...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:56

Indeed.

I admit I've been known to do some dancing to prog...hey, it DOES work with some tracks (think "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II"), but that's NOT why I listen to prog. It's really narrow to imply that all women are that shallow and that the whole world for them comes down to their bodies. Keep that attitude up and you'll probably find yourself fetching exactly the kind of low woman you're stereotyping, because those area the only ones who'll be willing to date you after all the smart ones have run away.

Plus, I have more self-respect than to inflict my pathetic excuse for dancing upon the eyes of the world.

"Another brick in the wall" prog?
ita_prog_fan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:59

Unfortunately... almost only men around here     

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 21:37

One of the best things about being female at a live prog concert is i never have to wait in line for the ladies room!!

I have a lot of friends who are female and love ELP... and now I see that valravennz is female and I know she likes ELP... so I guess ELP is the prog band for the ladies...

Well besides being so wonderfully talented... all three are absolutely gorgeous!!! 

yeah that wait in line for the ladies room is a distinct advantage of being in the minority at a concert - particularly these days. Not so, back in the 70's, when there were many more female fans of the genre at live concerts

However, ELP is indeed a favourite of the ladies, this one in particular too ... and they are gorgeous...love that photo ...Hugely admire their talent as musicians - Cheers Linda

I am a woman, but I'm also a lesbian . Perhaps that's why I like prog. So those guys up there don't do anything for me . But somewhere I saw a hot pic of Sonja Kristina; now that's more to my liking.

Edited by BaldJean

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 07:21

It's weird..I learnt about Progressive Rock (that is to say Allll about it!) from a man who appears more effeminate than most other men I've met in my lifetime and I get all my Prog music from him too. He insists that Prog rock is definitely a guy-thing....then why oh why dies it appear so girly to me?? Is it because it's arty? Where I come from- the Arts Subjects seem to appeal more to the girls than the majority men who do more 'practical' things. in fact, most of the men I've met are . Pardon the apparant feminism but believe me- it's non-extistant. I mean to say that most of the men I've met don't understand classical music, they don't care for the arts, for plays, books etc... But when I met this guy he kinda flipped the tables on my view point. Life is filled with wonderful surprises.

Then I have another friend of mine who's a girl. She reckons Prog Rock is only 'girly' because it is lacking in girls.  Maybe, focusing on the sex-orientated sphere, Prog Rock IS a masculine thing. I admit I'm in love with it, and I have bi-sexual tendancies. And Bald jean is lesbian..this has to mean something!

Or maybe it's just the fact there are so many long-haired men in prog Rock bands- which turns me on . On second thoughts.....maybe not.  Music= the main part.

50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>