Topic ClosedGoblin & Nisennenmondai in Paris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goblin & Nisennenmondai in Paris
    Posted: May 30 2009 at 03:16
This year was the fourth edition of Villette Sonique an excellent Avant Garde festival. The programmation is eclectic and wide on wednesday you got Sunn O))) and Jesus Lizard, yesterday Goblin & Nisennenmondai and tomorrow as a free concert Deerhoof , presenting Drone Metal, Prog, Free Rock, Post Punk Dada Rock, Math Rock and more...the organisation was very good and due to a large campaign they draw for example for the concert yesterday over thousand spectators,which is not an easy afair for avnt garde muisc. 
So the venue itself is great, the hall is one of the former Paris19 the century  food market halls (an all metal construction) built by Baltard, which were transfered after hey closed down Les Halles in the sixties.

So the place was not crammed but full and the first band was Goblin with the line up of their last studio record Maurizio Guarini / keyboards,Fabio Pignatelli / bass, Massimo Morante / guitars, Agostino Marangolo / drums plus a second keyboard .player. They played as anounced the Dario Argento soundtracks , with some nice slasher clip loops of the films on a screen behind the band., plus some tracks from Back To Goblin, great live band ranging from the more athmospheric side of some soundtracks to heavy prog and Fusion, with a special mention for Pignatelli's roaring Rickenbacker and Morante's guitar solos. My favourite moments were the  Dawn Of The Dead main theme, Suspiria and Profondo Rosso and as an extra the slasher disco vamp from Tenebre which was the big crowd pleaser. Due to the festival schedule they couldn't play an encore even so they came back on stage to do so....

A part of the audience left after Goblin, but when the second concert started there were still about  800 . I had only seen the video of Nisennenmondai  and was realy curious to see them and  to cut it short this band is fantastic, a mix of No Theater ( for the theatrical side) , Free Jazz, Steve Reich, Hendrix and Neu, absolutely stunning....in the beginning the guitarist Masako Takada creates several  loop patterns, after 5 minutes drummer Sayaka Himeno enters with furious 16note hi hat bashing and afte some more time bass player Yuri Zaikawa enters with short and precise bass blasts, all three creating a psychedelic minimal free magma with the sound level of a starting plane. They played two 30 minutes songs each one a masterpiece! This is one of the best bands I have seen for a time. BTW on monday the fisrt june they wil play on the famous Moers Jazz Festival.If you have the ocasion to see them go for it!

here is the link to a video an extract of the fisrt song they plyed yestrday on the festival site:

Edited by Alucard - May 30 2009 at 03:39
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 03:19
Thanks for the thoughtful write up, Martin. Sounds like it would have been splendid festival, you should have spared sometime for sunn o))), not a band I like much on record, but live their an experience you'll not forget quickly, even if it just from the tinnitus. 

I'll be doing a little more research on Nisennenmondai, had not heard of them before, and the youtube track was neat.

Post Reply Post Reply