Topic ClosedNorth Sea Radio Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Sea Radio Orchestra
    Posted: May 30 2009 at 08:27
So, despite originally suggesting this lot for inclusion in Prog Folk, I've done a massive u-turn and decided that they're just not a good enough fit for any of the subgenres we have here at PA.

However, I really really REALLY want to draw some more attention to this wonderful group and get as many people here on PA listening to them as possible. They really are nothing short of fantastic. Their music is a subtle but hugely eclectic blend of classical, folk, pop, minimalist and occasional (slight) avant-garde elements and the resulting sound is simply enchanting. Their recent album "Birds" is pretty widely available and is a fine place to start, though it may take a few listens to really grow on you. Their self-titled debut, meanwhile, contains one of my favourite pieces of music recorded this decade - the glorious "Chimes".

The group combines classical instrumentation (violins, oboe, classical guitar etc.) with tantilisingly subdued analogue synths, lead female vocals and a chorus. Their compositions thus span everything from folky guitar/voice duets to full ensemble/choral works.

Irrepressibly English, achingly beautiful, uplifting, surprising, delightful music. I honestly can't recommend them enough!

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/northsearadioorchestra

Video (the closing choral section of the afore-mentoned "Chimes"):

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to add that most of their lyrics are pinched from pre-modernist English poems by the likes of Hardy, Blake and Chaucer, which undoubtedly adds to their charm and timelessness.

Edited by Trouserpress - May 30 2009 at 08:35
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2009 at 14:17
I know it's only been a couple of days but really - just six views? Tcha!

I was listening to Birds on my mp3 player today and a-wallowing in the sunshine. What lovely companions NSRO and the sunbeams made!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 12:41
Seriously, why am I talking to myself here? Can nobody else appreciate the sheer wonderment of this stuff?
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 14:37
It's pretty good. I guess I'm not British enough. :P

Or maybe it's becuase I would never use the words "charming" or "enchanting" to describe a piece of music?
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 16:34
Thanks for the tip, that youtube clip sounds great.

Hmm, I see Spotify has both of their albums. I'll give 'em a spin one of these days and come back with my impressions. Until then...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 16:38
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Thanks for the tip, that yoItalicutube clip sounds great.

Hmm, I see Spotify has both of their albums. I'll give 'em a spin one of these days and come back with my impressions. Until then...

Hoorah! Try their debut first - that way you'll get to hear all 12-or-so minutes of the supremely wonderful "Chimes". Having said that, Birds is growing on me all the more with each new listen. It's definitely music that grows on you and surreptitiously creeps into your consciousness the more you listen. I remember the first time I heard them I was relatively underwhelmed, by now I rave about them like some kind of loon.

Edited by Trouserpress - June 05 2009 at 16:39
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 05:30
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Thanks for the tip, that yoItalicutube clip sounds great.

Hoorah! Try their debut first - that way you'll get to hear all 12-or-so minutes of the supremely wonderful "Chimes". Having said that, Birds is growing on me all the more with each new listen. It's definitely music that grows on you and surreptitiously creeps into your consciousness the more you listen. I remember the first time I heard them I was relatively underwhelmed, by now I rave about them like some kind of loon.

I've yet to hear Birds, but I gave the self-titled a few spins - very nice material. I heard some Penguin Cafe Orchestra here and there, some Steve Reich even, as well as several English folk acts of the past.

I definitely need to give it more time before making any proper judgements, but so far I'm very impressed. Right up my alley, so to speak. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply