Topic ClosedYYZ Morse Code rhythm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: YYZ Morse Code rhythm
    Posted: May 31 2009 at 07:15
A friend brought the following to my attention:

Quote Toronto's Pearson International Airport broadcasts Y-Y-Z in Morse code for navigational purposes; this code inspired both the rhythms and title of the song "YYZ".

"The title refers to the identity code used by the Toronto International Airport. We used the Morse Code signal emitted by the control tower as a rhythmic device for the introduction (-.--/-.--/--..) dah dit dah dah dah dit dah dah/dah dah dit dit, = Y-Y-Z." - Neil Peart, "Notes On The Making of Moving Pictures", Modern Drummer, Feb. 1983

I'm sure there are other songs as well that have been musically influenced by patterns or series of numbers or alphabet. Can anyone point out examples? I know of serialism in classical music but I was thinking about this in (prog)rock context. 
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 15:11
Don't know if anyone's done it for reals, but I think the rhythm mentioned in this comic would make for an interesting song:

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 15:16
The vocal syllables in Tool's song "Lateralus" are based on the Fibonacci sequence. The concept is quite ingenious.

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 15:17
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

The vocal syllables in Tool's song "Lateralus" are based on the Fibonacci sequence. The concept is quite ingenious.
Isn't the drum beat or time signature also based on that? Although it's still a painfully boring song. ;-)
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 15:42
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Isn't the drum beat or time signature also based on that? Although it's still a painfully boring song. ;-)

Like the Fibonacci sequence itself I guess - unless you are a math addict. Tongue
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 15:55
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I will forget your comment for now on this flawless, epic, and energetic wonderful song.

But as for the time signatures, most of the song is in either 5/4 or 6/8. The choruses do something interesting though.

If I were to write out the time signatures of the chorus on sheet music to make it easiest to play reading the sheet music, I would probably write out the measures like this:

3/4 + 3/4 + 3/4 + 3/4 + 3/4 + 2/4 + 3/4 + 4/4

Sorry if it's confusing, but it's just the way I think. If you group the time signatures into when the chords change, it looks like this:

(3/4 + 3/4 + 3/4) (3/4 + 3/4 + 2/4) (3/4 + 4/4)

So essentially it could be notated as:

(9/4) + (8/4) + (7/4)  Or ([9+8+7]/4)

987 is the 16th number in the fibonacci sequence.

And yes, I am mathematically inclined.

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 18:27

Damn, how could I have forgotten about that.  I need to go back to prog school.....

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
 Post Reply Post Reply