Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 01:40
Gedo

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 01:38
I notice that Julian Cope praises so much Flower Trav and Speed, Glue.

i will love to the both groups playing in the same concert that Julian Cope refeers

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 01:36
Hey Damo did you about the Genya concert??

Almost ruined by the Lost Araaff group

and the hijacking of a plane by bass player of Rallizes?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 01:34
Kuni Kawachi, great organist!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 01:33
I do not know why Julian Cope did not like Foodbrain and Shinki Shen solo album: both for me are great!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 01:31
Other great bands are:}

Speed, Glue and Shinki

Blues Creation

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 01:29
Hearing right now Far Out's Nihonjin.

Great guitar about 8:14 specially the riff in 8:26-31 great stuff!!!!!

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 18:02
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

And Tamijo, when will you come to Fukuoka?
Im not sure, but sometime between Jan-may 2010 is my guess.  

NB.:
Seen others ask You how you feel about "game music", so make me wonder how you feel about traditional , got an album with Hibari, where she sings traditional Geisha songs, cant remember title, on a traditional music background. At the same time, one of the most "strange" CD's i'we ever heard (this offcouse based on the fact that its so far from my cultural background), and one og the most beautiful.

Tamijo, please enjoy Tenjin, Hakata next year! Star
...Anyway, the word "Hibari" should remind me (a Japanese) "Hibari Misora"...is it correct?
Forgive me but Hibari was a great singer in Japanese economically growing period, not my glass of whisky... Smile
If it not be correct, please point out my mistake.

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

I totally agree. In my opinion, they are the single most exciting prog band (internationally!) of the past twenty years. And they're not just jazz-rock, there's a strong symphonic influence as well. If you want to know more, check out my reviews on Prog Archives.

As a Japanese I wanna say "Thanks fuxi for your appreciation of KENSO." Big smile
Before writing my review of "YUME NO OKA" I've read your one.
Your passion and feeling could shake my brain. I shouted "YEA, SECONDED!" Clap
(Furthermore Yoshihisa, a guitarist, is a dentist, occupationally near me...BTW) LOL

Originally posted by Takeshi Kovacs Takeshi Kovacs wrote:

Damo - if you look at the My Musical Commute thread you will find that this week was Japanese Prog week for me, and it lists the albums I listened to each day this week. There was one album, Wish by Starless (1992) that is also not listed in ProgArchives, and I wondered if you knew this band / album?

Takeshi, always I appreciate your inputs...and is your commute thread on last.fm?
Sorry I've not seen yet...later I'm gonna check...and discuss with you...please wait. Wink
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takeshi Kovacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 14:45
Damo - if you look at the My Musical Commute thread you will find that this week was Japanese Prog week for me, and it lists the albums I listened to each day this week. There was one album, Wish by Starless (1992) that is also not listed in ProgArchives, and I wondered if you knew this band / album?
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 04:26
Originally posted by 0000 0000 wrote:

Kenso are really awesome.

I totally agree. In my opinion, they are the single most exciting prog band (internationally!) of the past twenty years. And they're not just jazz-rock, there's a strong symphonic influence as well. If you want to know more, check out my reviews on Prog Archives.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 06:30

Im not sure, but sometime between Jan-may 2010 is my guess.  

NB.:
Seen others ask You how you feel about "game music", so make me wonder how you feel about traditional , got an album with Hibari, where she sings traditional Geisha songs, cant remember title, on a traditional music background. At the same time, one of the most "strange" CD's i'we ever heard (this offcouse based on the fact that its so far from my cultural background), and one og the most beautiful.

Edited by tamijo - June 18 2009 at 06:47
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 03:02
Thanks memowakeman, Outer Limits' "STROMATOLITE" I've heard...and been remarkably impressed!

A bit different from memo's sleeve picture...
Maybe Musea Records has altered the sleeve...?

Please see my short Embarrassed review.

Thanks all.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 10 2013 at 04:30
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 03:27
Thanks Jozef for your recommendation!

Originally posted by Jozef Jozef wrote:

I recommend "Satori" by Flower Travellin' Band.

It's a very good heavy psychedelic album with some excellent guitar work.

I'll make sure to keep checking this thread as well. I really want to hear more from Japanese prog bands!

This SATORI, I've written a review before, is exactly one of the most terrific Japanese psych albums. Clap

Now I'm studying more and more about my native progressive rock scene so please let me know a lot. Wink
Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jozef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 00:14
I recommend "Satori" by Flower Travellin' Band.

It's a very good heavy psychedelic album with some excellent guitar work.

I'll make sure to keep checking this thread as well. I really want to hear more from Japanese prog bands!

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 00:28

A Japanese brilliant progressive gem, YONINBAYASHI, a young four-piece outfit, were formed in 1971.
Two musically talented high school students, Daiji Okai (drums, various instruments) and Katsutoshi Morizono (guitars, voices) could have a fateful rendezvous at Saginomiya High School in 1969.
With Shin'ichi Nakamura (bass) and Hidemi Sakash*ta (keyboards) added, they played complete but fully improvised "Echoes" of Pink Floyd, shocking and amazing the audience.
Yoninbayashi made their debut with releasing a legendary work "ISSHOKU-SOKUHATSU" from Toho records in 1974.
In their early days, they should be under the influence of Pink Floyd and psychedelic rock scene as everyone says, in addition to the spiritual lyrics by Yasuo Suematsu.
A bassist was replaced by Masahide Sakuma and they released the second album "GOLDEN PICNICS", but soon Katsutoshi dropped out with suspending the outfit.
A reliever for their crisis was Mitsuru Satoh(guitars, voices). They changed music styles into pop and electronic ones, and could shoot three good albums.
After a long "hibernation", in 21st century they've got to be active again having gigs, joining festivals, and making their historical compilation.

ISSHOKU-SOKUHATSU (1974)

Exactly brilliant sunrise over the Japanese progressive rock scene!

With the first track "[hΛmaebeθ]" Yoninbayashi can shoot a psychedelic arrow into our heart and brain.
Our heart should get palpitated and our brain confused by this sound explosion.
"SORA TO KUMO (The sky and clouds)", with terrific voices by Katsutoshi, is a psychedelically beautiful song.
Steady rhythms and melodic sounds sometimes make us relaxed and sometimes anxious or unstable.
Why? ...Maybe, we can find a shadow behind safe and peace of this song.
"OMATSURI (A festival)" is impressing with this lyric "I can't help cryin' by visiting at the fest town".
Yes it can remind us our old days with weeping. Be immersed in a pathos and palpitated with percussive sounds in the latter.
"ISSHOKU SOKUHATSU (Touch and go)", by Katsutoshi, with a bit heavy guitars and mellotrons, should be influenced with Pink Floyd ABSOLUTELY.
Ah...some parts are like King Crimson style in LARKS period...I feel.
One of phrases is just like The Dark Side Of The Moon, and another One Of These Days or Echoes...feel and chuckle!
In "PING PONG DAMA NO NAGEKI (Deep sorrow of a ping-pong ball)", with the sounds of a ping-pong ball dropping to the ground, lots of graceful and sorrowful melodies go around us.
I consider it be so suitable for the last of this wondrous story.

No suspicion that we can get damaged with fantasy. Suprahighly recommended by DamoX.

Thank you for reading this blog.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 10 2013 at 04:25
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 19:38
crimson87, Takeshi Kovacs, Thulëatan, and 0000...thanks so much!

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

A japanese prog thread without naming KBB ain't a proper one. Great stuff

Also Bondage Fruit is a band worth ckeching out

Bondage Fruit is a band with Yuji Katsui, one of the most avant Japanese violinists, and a brilliant guitarist Natsuki Kido.
I now have no album but always hear interesting Zeuhlic sounds!

Originally posted by Takeshi Kovacs Takeshi Kovacs wrote:

This is nice stuff - Yonin Bayashi

Next time gonna introduce this album, one of my Japanese treasures.
In future this band should be recommended here, whatever happens.

Originally posted by Thulëatan Thulëatan wrote:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Shingetsu yet - maybe the band is too obvious a choice? Smile http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1273

Japanese progressive music has some very special moments, as your culture is so attuned to atmosphere and the importance of strong melody.

Damo, I wonder if you are able to enjoy the music of modern game soundtracks from Japan, or is this only for the younger generations? Smile Many Japanese game music composers were very much influenced by the '70s progressive rock and early electronic music and you can hear this in their amazing work - if you feel brave, try music by Hitoshi Sakimoto or Nobuo Uematsu.

I will be looking out for the bands you have recommended!

Thulëatan, your review of "Zenshi" is very important for worldwide PA members.
Shingetsu is absolutely one of Japanese brilliant gems.
Please check my humble review if you like.

Originally posted by 0000 0000 wrote:

Hello

May I recommend Mr. Sirius "Dirge" and "Barren dream", my two favorite albums. Perfection if you ask me.

Also Kenso are really awesome.

I have other favorites still not mentioned yet

Wappa Gappa
Providence
Six North
Quikion
Kennedy
Pageant
Vienna
Vermillion Sands
Igzit-Nine
Ashada
Bellaphon

0000, you can know a lot about Japanese bands...I'm so happy!
In your recommendation, I should push especially Vermillion Sands.
Their "Water Blue" is a amazingly beautiful album.

And LordPJoseph, forgive me but I cannot know enough about Japanese punk...
Aburadako (recommended here in near future) is my favourite Japanese hardcore band.

Thanks for your givin' support to my blog!
0000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 14:52
Hello

May I recommend Mr. Sirius "Dirge" and "Barren dream", my two favorite albums. Perfection if you ask me.

Also Kenso are really awesome.

I have other favorites still not mentioned yet

Wappa Gappa
Providence
Six North
Quikion
Kennedy
Pageant
Vienna
Vermillion Sands
Igzit-Nine
Ashada
Bellaphon

LordPJoseph View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordPJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 19:11

Kin'niku Shojo-tai is thought as a pop & visual band in Japan.
Indeed their sound, especially Kenji Otsuki's policy for music, is progressive I think.
And Midori, with heavy punk flavour, is so interesting band exactly.
Sadly their sounds I like but Mariko's voice with perfume smell is not my glass of whisky.

Can we have a PA conference at Fukuoka Street Stand Noodle Restaurant? LOL

DamoX, thank's for your insightful reply!

I did indeed know that King-Show (or Kin'niku Shojo-tai) were often considered a pop/visual band in Japan; however, when I went to their concerts (I saw them at the Nakano Sun Plaza for the reunion, at the Budokan last year, and at the Akasaka Blitz), I noticed that there were as many male fans in the crowd as female fans! I was pretty surprised, considering most pop/visual bands have a mostly female fan base. Also, interesting to note, the King-Show Tour Shirts for their 2008 tour had the term "Prog Rock" on the front of the shirt; I guess the band thinks they are prog Big smile To me, though, they have a very unique and progressive sound that I think many non-Japanese prog fans can enjoy, as long as they can get past the japanese vocals and japanese visuals. I, personally, have gotten many of my prog friends into King-Show, and these friends don't know anything about Japanese music!

Yes, Midori's vocalist Mariko has a voice that can be very annoying to most listeners; it is unfortunate, because I believe that many prog/fusion fans would enjoy this band if they were instrumental.

Another band that is also a mix between heavy percussive Piano usage, progressive tendencies, hardcore punk, and metal is Tokusatsu. They also feature King-Show members Kenji Ohtsuki and Satoshi Mishiba, as well as the guitarist from Coaltar of the Deepers, a shoe-gaze band that is somewhat progressive in their mix of Death Metal, Indie, Shoegaze, and Electronica.

DamoX, if you know any other bands in the style of King-Show, please let me know!

Edited by LordPJoseph - June 11 2009 at 19:14
Thulëatan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thulëatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 18:14
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Shingetsu yet - maybe the band is too obvious a choice? Smile http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1273

Japanese progressive music has some very special moments, as your culture is so attuned to atmosphere and the importance of strong melody.

Damo, I wonder if you are able to enjoy the music of modern game soundtracks from Japan, or is this only for the younger generations? Smile Many Japanese game music composers were very much influenced by the '70s progressive rock and early electronic music and you can hear this in their amazing work - if you feel brave, try music by Hitoshi Sakimoto or Nobuo Uematsu.

I will be looking out for the bands you have recommended!

Edited by Thulëatan - June 11 2009 at 18:15
"Have you not imagination, and is it not available?"
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takeshi Kovacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 16:59

This is nice stuff - Yonin Bayashi
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>